The Student Room Group

Contaminated petrol

I think my boyfriend has used contaiminated petrol, he went to a small petrol station last night and today he's car seems totally messed up. The engine warning light comes on when he starts to drive, the car is really shaky, and u can smell the fumes from the exhaust.

Is this likely to be due to the petrol he has put in (which is unleaded)?

When he brought the petrol he was not issued with a receipt as he was paying by cash, will he still be able to claim back the cost of repair if it is confirmed that the petrol has screwed up his car.

Is it likely that the petrol could be the cause? What would need replacing or could his car be messed up for good?

TIA

eta: hic car is also losing power, the only thing is that it seems that most of the cases are coming from the south of the country whereas we are in the north, also he thinks it was a b.p station not like morrisions or tesco

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You would need to take it to a garage to confirm what the problem was and what needed fixing, and obviously how much it would cost.

Im not sure if you'd be able to claim anything if you dont have a receipt, as you dont have anything to prove your purchase, I dont know, you'd have to find that out.
Reply 2
You need to get the fuel tested for silicone deposits.
Reply 3
Do you think they would look at the CCTV footage for proof, they didnt offer him a receipt. I told him though, when he gets petrol to obtain a receipt :mad:
Reply 4
I had contaminated fuel in my car (from Sainsbury's), i just put fresh new fuel in it from BP and it was fine after a while!

Best way to get rid of the problem is to do 200 miles on the motorway with the new/old fuel mix! That's what I did and have had no problems thus far!

Graham
Reply 5
gbduo
I had contaminated fuel in my car (from Sainsbury's), i just put fresh new fuel in it from BP and it was fine after a while!

Best way to get rid of the problem is to do 200 miles on the motorway with the new/old fuel mix! That's what I did and have had no problems thus far!

Graham

did u have problems though? my bf is suffering from car judders, and loss of power
Reply 6
gbduo
I had contaminated fuel in my car (from Sainsbury's),

Graham

What petrol station did you get that from??
Reply 7
me_me_me
did u have problems though? my bf is suffering from car judders, and loss of power

Well, the car struggled to start in the mornings and then was very, very lumpy.

Joy: I got the fuel from Tesco Extra, Longton in Stoke. Sorry, i got confused between Sainsbury's and Tesco! Shocking. :biggrin:
Graham, AFAIK there's two points:

Once silicone is on your lambda, that's it, it's broken.
Second, Sainsburys uses a different supplier to the one at fault, AFAIK there's no cases of Sainsburys having contaminated fuel.

Of course poor fuel will be fixed by new fuel, but not the type of contamination on the TV right now.
Reply 9
gbduo
Well, the car struggled to start in the mornings and then was very, very lumpy.

Joy: I got the fuel from Tesco Extra, Longton in Stoke. Sorry, i got confused between Sainsbury's and Tesco! Shocking. :biggrin:

Oh ok thats fine then only I have filled my car up with petrol this morning from the Sainsburys in Hanley and just wanted to check!!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Again, I 2nd Pauls comments.

I filled up with 99RON at tescos not so long back which caused me to have to strip and rebuild my carbs in the university car park - Not fun!
The contaminate in this case was actually water in the fuel.
Reply 11
pghstochaj
Graham, AFAIK there's two points:

Once silicone is on your lambda, that's it, it's broken.
Second, Sainsburys uses a different supplier to the one at fault, AFAIK there's no cases of Sainsburys having contaminated fuel.

Of course poor fuel will be fixed by new fuel, but not the type of contamination on the TV right now.

Sorry, i made a mistake, it was Tesco Extra in Longton.

Well, obviously my car is more hardy than others! lol!

Its still working, probably because the fuel was burnt of straight away on the motorway, mind you it was very lumpy and wasn't happy.

Remember the starting thread?

I don't know if it was the fuel that's on the TV, i wasn't even referring to that, but whatever it was it was fixed by new fuel which i was telling the OP.

It doesn't sound like the OPs boyfriends car has the fuel thats on the TV as it was from an independent seller and not Tesco/Asda or from Greenergy

Graham
Reply 12
OK, so who left the door on Grahams cage open? Come on, own up!
:biggrin: hey mate! :wink:
Reply 13
I managed to open it by wooing and flirting with Paul, who is secretly gay and wanted to let me out to er...satisfy his needs on Bentback Hill.

:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 14
JC.
Again, I 2nd Pauls comments.

I filled up with 99RON at tescos not so long back which caused me to have to strip and rebuild my carbs in the university car park - Not fun!
The contaminate in this case was actually water in the fuel.

I wasn't aware 99 RON had become so widespread.
http://www.greenergy.com/products/99_octane_locations.html
It wasn't a couple of year ago that literally, only a handful of stations around the UK had them. I was first to report on this fuel for GTI users. One garage in Canary Wharf was the first to serve it. Not much difference in output (of course - for a n/a engine), but a difference in your wallet. If you also run on that for the rest of your life, you're looking at trouble (if your car isn't made for it).
Reply 15
It was the Tescos just outside Bangor. Brand new store. Biggest in wales apparently?
Incidentally, my car was built to run on 105 octane. Even optimax is weak sauce to MG drivers :wink:
Reply 16
me_me_me
Do you think they would look at the CCTV footage for proof, they didnt offer him a receipt. I told him though, when he gets petrol to obtain a receipt :mad:

Theoretically, though it can take weeks and cost money to obtain CCTV footage.
Reply 17
well the people at audi said it would cost £100 to just look at the car, but reccommed that he put £40 petrol in it, run it and see how it goes... does this sound like a good idea? like someone said before new fuel can replace old fuel but will it stop any potential damage???

he has done this with no success as of yet, would he need to try and get rid of the old fuel before the new fuel can start to get consumed? (hope that makes sense)

when you put petrol in your car, and then add additional petrol, does your car use up the old petrol first or does it kinda mix together.

Also, if you only put £10 of contaminated petrol in your car would you suffer less damage say if you put £40 of contaminated petrol??
Reply 18
On the welsh radio a couple of nights ago it was mentioned that higher than normal silicone levels had been detected in some of the fuel from affected cars. The increased level of silicone has coated the oxygen sensor and has therefore mucked up the ECU.

Methyl Silicone is used as an anti-foam additive in oil. It's normally around 10-15ppm of Si measured in elemental analysis, but this can also be a measure of the dust entering the oil. Too much and it actively encourages foaming.
Organic Silicon compounds (siloxanes) are used as anti-foaming agents in oils and detergents, but I can't see why anyone would put them into petrol.

Certainly in fuels such as 'bio-gas' the presence of organic silicon causes major problems and is seen as a contaminant that causes damage to Combined Heat and Power (CHP) engines.

When burnt these compounds are oxidised into silicon di-oxide (silica, the major component of sand). In a conventional 4-stroke motor this silicon oxide would deposit at the spark plugs, valves, and valve guides, causing abrasion and, eventually, serious damage - it would be akin to leaving valve grinding paste in your engine.

I would also think it highly likely that if siloxane contamination was present in this case then it would also cause deposition in other hot areas such as the catalyst and it's associated lambda (oxygen) sensor(s) hence the ECU faults reported on the radio?

What I suspect happened was that a tanker that had previosly carried silicon based chemicals, was filled with however many million gallons of petrol they carry without being properly cleaned out. The fuel became contaminated.
Reply 19
JC.
On the welsh radio a couple of nights ago it was mentioned that higher than normal silicone levels had been detected in some of the fuel from affected cars. The increased level of silicone has coated the oxygen sensor and has therefore mucked up the ECU.

Methyl Silicone is used as an anti-foam additive in oil. It's normally around 10-15ppm of Si measured in elemental analysis, but this can also be a measure of the dust entering the oil. Too much and it actively encourages foaming.
Organic Silicon compounds (siloxanes) are used as anti-foaming agents in oils and detergents, but I can't see why anyone would put them into petrol.

Certainly in fuels such as 'bio-gas' the presence of organic silicon causes major problems and is seen as a contaminant that causes damage to Combined Heat and Power (CHP) engines.

When burnt these compounds are oxidised into silicon di-oxide (silica, the major component of sand). In a conventional 4-stroke motor this silicon oxide would deposit at the spark plugs, valves, and valve guides, causing abrasion and, eventually, serious damage - it would be akin to leaving valve grinding paste in your engine.

I would also think it highly likely that if siloxane contamination was present in this case then it would also cause deposition in other hot areas such as the catalyst and it's associated lambda (oxygen) sensor(s) hence the ECU faults reported on the radio?

What I suspect happened was that a tanker that had previosly carried silicon based chemicals, was filled with however many million gallons of petrol they carry without being properly cleaned out. The fuel became contaminated.

im guessing the bold is the reason for power loss? The damage seems pretty seious :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending