The Student Room Group

Ladies: Perfect Waist Size of Your Ideal Man

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodge-Slant-6
Thanks for the quick reply. Did you vote in the poll listed above?

No because I don't know/don't care about waist size :tongue:
---------------------------------all posts below and above this line are autistic, do not reply--------------------------------
Original post by thatgr
---------------------------------all posts below and above this line are autistic, do not reply--------------------------------

Sorry, I couldn't resist irritating you, so I replied.
I wish more ladies would have partaken in this poll. I know unsightly belly fat on a man is usually cited as the number one turn-off they have for a man's appearance, after bad hygiene. I was surprised how many snide remarks were offered by the girls. Made me wonder if there is a little bit of reversed placed angst going on here, as fat accumulation is a much loathed topic with women. Maybe most just refused to engage because of the self-loathing fears it brings up....I don't know.

I'll run this poll for another day or two and watch whether the ladies start taking part more in the poll itself instead of leaving angry comments.

My own guess is if they were forced to give a serious answer they'd say 32, 33 or 34. A friend worked at a Levis outlet in London and told me the female members of staff were obsessed over how many units of men's jeans were sold by waist size. He said it was the only thing they seemed interested in at staff meetings. So women are much more hip to the sizes of men's waists and where their own preferences lie.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not a lady so I didn't vote ha but surely it's gotta be 32
Original post by WoodyMKC
Not unless I'm some sort of anomoly, I'm 6'2'' and I've always measured up as a 30'' waist when getting trousers fitted. Think it's fairly common for lanky guys to have small waists tbh. That said, my waist may measure as 30'', but I have to wear 34'' to fit round my ass and thighs where I started lifting a few years ago.

30" at 6' 2"?.......Kid, that's a toothpick. How old are you? That sounds like the kind of young lad's measurements who hasn't passed puberty yet. If you're under 16, then, a 30 inch waist might make sense, even with your well above average height.

My guess is that by the time you grow to be a man after the age of 18 your stomach, chest and back muscles will grow more, which will extend your width naturally. Your hipbone will grow in size too. If you keep trim and be on guard against belly fat, an athletic 6'2" man would have a 33-34 inch waist at the very lowest. Even a 32 inch waist is rather unusual for a trim, athletic man who is 6 feet in height, so somebody 6' 2", obviously, would have an even larger waist still.
(edited 8 years ago)
30" at 6' 2"?.......Kid, that's a toothpick. How old are you? That sounds like the kind of young lad's measurements who hasn't passed puberty yet. If you're under 16, then, a 30 inch waist might make sense, even with your well above average height.

My guess is that by the time you grow to be a man after the age of 18 your stomach, chest and back muscles will grow more, which will extend your width naturally. Your hipbone will grow in size too. If you keep trim and be on guard against belly fat, an athletic 6'2" man would have a 33-34 inch waist at the very lowest. Even a 32 inch waist is rather unusual for a trim, athletic man who is 6 feet in height, so somebody 6' 2", obviously, would have an even larger waist still.

I'm 26 mate :rofl: It has little to do with the hip bone when waist measurements are taken from around the bellybutton. A lot of the best tall-category bodybuilders have 30-32'' waistlines, it's a necessity for that crazy v-taper. Sergio Oliva famously had a 28'' waist! In the world of bodybuilding and in terms of an aesthetically pleasing physique, the smaller the waist the better as it accentuates the sweep of the lats and makes the shoulders and chest appear broader.
This is a thing? :lolwut:

I couldn't give a toss.
Reply 28
Ever think that women don't actually know the measurements of what they consider an attractive waist? The only reason I know my waist size is because I need to buy trousers, a woman isn't going to work it out by looking! :tongue:

Also as you say, waist size is proportional to height; doesn't that make the poll redundant?
Not too skinny and not too fat.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm 26 mate :rofl: It has little to do with the hip bone when waist measurements are taken from around the bellybutton. A lot of the best tall-category bodybuilders have 30-32'' waistlines, it's a necessity for that crazy v-taper. Sergio Oliva famously had a 28'' waist! In the world of bodybuilding and in terms of an aesthetically pleasing physique, the smaller the waist the better as it accentuates the sweep of the lats and makes the shoulders and chest appear broader.

Okay, so you're a competitive bodybuilder. The particular body shape of a man who is a bodybuilder puts them in a 2% category, which excludes them from 98% of the remaining male population. That is also the bodytype most surveys show women are attracted to least. Women want lean, fit lads who are built more like swimmers than weight lifters. So a typical swimmer with 12% body fat is far more sexy to the average woman than some very muscular man at 6% body fat. That competitive bodybuilder physique is enormously difficult to achieve and takes far more time and discipline than most men with jobs and outside interests can afford.

So, getting back to our original topic. Any man over 6 feet tall with a true waist (as measured at the navel) smaller than 32 inches is extremely rare. Exceedingly rare.
Okay, so you're a competitive bodybuilder. The particular body shape of a man who is a bodybuilder puts them in a 2% category, which excludes them from 98% of the remaining male population. That is also the bodytype most surveys show women are attracted to least. Women want lean, fit lads who are built more like swimmers than weight lifters. So a typical swimmer with 12% body fat is far more sexy to the average woman than some very muscular man at 6% body fat. That competitive bodybuilder physique is enormously difficult to achieve and takes far more time and discipline than most men with jobs and outside interests can afford.

So, getting back to our original topic. Any man over 6 feet tall with a true waist (as measured at the navel) smaller than 32 inches is extremely rare. Exceedingly rare.

You've missed my point entirely there, but then that's probably half my fault for not being clearer in reiterating my final point. As has been discussed in this thread, scientifically there are upper:lower torso ratios that women subconsciously find attractive. A woman will never look at a man and say "ugh, his waist is too small" if the aforementioned ratio is present - it simply accentuates other parts of the body. Obviously once we get into Mr Olympia territory the ratio goes out of whack and the level of musculaity becomes repulsive, but I was just using it as an example to demonstrate that a smaller waist makes the appearance of a broader chest and shoulders, and a pronounced v-taper - something that's attractive to women and desired by bodybuilders and physique conpetitors - easier to achieve the illusion of having. I'd also say the Men's Physique type of body is likely the most attractive type of physique, where the emphasis on aesthetically pleasing qualities like ratios, symmetry, proportion are prioritised and being overly muscular and/or too ripped is seen as a minus. In this type of physique building, again, a small waist is absolutely imperative, and the smaller the waist, the bigger the advantage in creating what would be perceived by many to be the perfect male physique. Lots of guys that first start lifting and women alike would mostly agree that Zyzz had an awesome physique - he wasn't very muscular, but he was 6'2'' with a 30-31'' waistline which was imperative in giving him the v-taper and broad look that made his body aesthetically pleasing. If you put a 34'' waist on his skeletal structure then he wouldn't have been at all impressive.

P.S. Wasn't the original point of the topic to discuss attractive male waist sizes in proportion to height?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
who the hell cares about waist size?! :biggrin:
Original post by ivy.98

You do
Reply 34
You do

and why's that?
Because women subconsciously register these things whether they know it or not on the surface.
Can you imagine the outrage if a similar thread was made about women's waist sizes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Because women subconsciously register these things whether they know it or not on the surface.

You'd make a better female than me.. You know things better than I do :wink:
Reply 38
Im 6 ft and do have a waist size of 30 but I still think i am just a bit fat and do want to get skinnier :smile:
Original post by ivy.98

In the grand scheme of things you're right, no woman is going to get their measuring tape out and accept/refuse a date based on the results :lol: I also see the poll to be pointless as, although height is mentioned, it's not taken into account in the poll, and it's also too precise for anyone to realistically vote on it anyway. "Do you prefer a small, medium or large waist?" is a much more sensible question. Only bodybuilding enthusiasts and women in reference to their own waistline care about actual waist size :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending