The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubzeh
Steve Finnan was Liverpool's best right back in modern times.

Agree with Zerf; Arbeloa was definitely better than Finnan it it's hilarious that we let him go for so little and then he was in the Madrid first team for so long. Like how does that even happen?

Finnan was our most successful though wasn't he? I mean he actually won the Champions League...
Finnan was always my pick for right-back. A solid defender, OK going forward. He scored that lovely solitary goal with his left foot when he cut back inside during the 2004/05 season.

It's a testament to Finnan that Carragher was so scared of losing his place to him after he signed. I saw an interview with Carra where he said that he was sick and tired of having players brought in to challenge him for his place every single year. He'd seen off the majority, but Carragher reckons Finnan was so consistent and could have been in the PFA Team of the Year during a couple of his LFC seasons. Hard to argue with that really. I never saw Finnan play more than 7/10, or less than 6/10.

When we had Johnson during his latter years, I'd have killed for Finnan. Honestly. I'm getting to that stage with Mignolet, too. I sometimes look back at clips of old games, or see Premier League Years or LFCTV, and I remember just how good Reina's kicking was. He got six assists one year ffs. I'd kill to have that back.

Finnan is our only European Cup winning right back who isn’t Phil Neal, even if he did only play the first half in Istanbul.
Reply 582
Original post by swirly
Coutinho to Barcelona Ffs :rofl:

Can we just take a moment to admire 6 league starts: 1 goal (vs Stoke), 2 assists (vs villa)

Ffs it makes man like Allbrighton look like Robben.

For sake of reference bale in 2012/13 put up 21 goals and 9 assists in 33 league games, arguably against teams of a higher calibre than the mighty Stoke and Villa :rofl:

Can't take you seriously swarley.
Original post by Zerforax
Can't take you seriously swarley.

:frown:

I'm just saying to get a move to the Spanish big 2 you have to really set your league on fire like Bale did.

There will be tons of La Masia kids equally promising as Coutinho, the only reason he looks 'good' is because there is no pressure on him to win trophies. He certainly wouldn't be accommodated 10 possession-wasting long shots a game at a club like Barcelona.

Don't get me wrong he's ok. He was at the heart of my Division 1 winning FUT team, but not Barcelona quality.
Original post by Lúcio
Trust me, it'll happen.

You severely underestimated the potential of that kid; not surprised considering you're an Arsenal fan and he doesn't play for you.

Give him a few more years to develop and stick him in a Barca side with world class quality? Massive difference.

Coutinho is already developed, he just needs a developed team (barcelona) to show the world what hes made of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Agree with Zerf; Arbeloa was definitely better than Finnan it it's hilarious that we let him go for so little and then he was in the Madrid first team for so long. Like how does that even happen?

Finnan was our most successful though wasn't he? I mean he actually won the Champions League...

He was in the Madrid team for so Long because Mourinho desires **** RBs and doesn't give youngsters with a low profile a chance at fullback (see Bertrand and Carvajal)

Carvajal was better at RB and obviously Ramos is better but he went to CB which meant Arbeloa came in.
Original post by Bubzeh
It is a shame to see what Liverpool have become. A selling club now. It's strange. This wouldn't have happened back in the good days (you know when boys).

I called Coutinho to Madrid as soon as Rafa took over. I think if Rafa wins a trophy this season and stays on as manager, he'll be the number one target to replace Isco.

Isco replaced. For what reason would that be?

I can see Coutinho replacing Iniesta for sure though.
Reply 587
Coutinho may or may not be Barça/RM material, but he isn't a natural Iniesta replacement. They're different type of players, and Barça don't play with the type of AM that Coutinho is. A better comparison would be Rafinha, and he's struggled quite a bit slotting into Barça's midfield as a CM, and not just due to immaturity/inexperience or a lack of talent. Even if Coutinho was "already developed" and even if he showed promise playing as CM in the Prem, this doesn't tell much - see Fàbregas. The PL and la liga have different requirements for CMs, and in Barça's case this is even more extreme.

Of course he could grow into it with time as he still has room for development, but instead, Barça could just go for one of the better alternatives out there who'd actually be more suitable to the role and who'd probably improve the team immediately. Some of them already even play in la liga. And even if midfield roles were to change, Barça need a regista-type of CM, not another AM, for now.
Coutinho has only played as a CM when we played the diamond in the SaS era, up until now he hasn't played there at all (correct me if I'm wrong) so not sure how he'll do as a CM now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Chelsea are so bad.

Why do we have to be so poor when this is such a good opportunity to get top 4?
Original post by Lúcio
Chelsea are so bad.

Why do we have to be so poor when this is such a good opportunity to get top 4?

Early days yet! I'll give it till xmas before getting overly worried (if we continue with this form).

I really hope Sturridge can stay fit this year, he's so prolific it's crazy. Gets the rest of the team playing well too, without him the team is limp and completely lifeless. With him we may have a chance of scraping 4th place.
I'm a tad concerned that Chelsea will sack Mourinho and steal Klopp off us.

There's no way Ancelotti would go back to them so their options are a little limited.
Our clubs should join forces to keep Chelsea out of the top four.
Reply 593
Original post by Lúcio

There's no way Ancelotti would go back to them so their options are a little limited.

Did you see the links to De Boer this morning?
Reply 594
Original post by sr90
Our clubs should join forces to keep Chelsea out of the top four.

Will you be gifting us a win in the next match? :colondollar:
Original post by Zerforax
Did you see the links to De Boer this morning?

No i didn't, pls aware
Reply 596

Seems to be all around the media, he did an interview with the BBC (I think) when he said that.
Original post by Lúcio

Considering Klopps last season he's probably more suited to Liverpool and you can't really trust him, the Chelsea squad does not require a revamping unlike other teams. Plays the type of football I feel Chelsea are suited to but we lack the squad depth to utilise such a style of play in all competitions without an Arsenal style injury crisis.

I don't think he'd be useful to come in mid season but I won't complain in the slightest if he's our manager come start of November. Don't think he'd be that stubborn to just drop the guy regularly costing us points since early 2014.
Original post by jam277
Considering Klopps last season he's probably more suited to Liverpool and you can't really trust him, the Chelsea squad does not require a revamping unlike other teams. Plays the type of football I feel Chelsea are suited to but we lack the squad depth to utilise such a style of play in all competitions without an Arsenal style injury crisis.

I don't think he'd be useful to come in mid season but I won't complain in the slightest if he's our manager come start of November. Don't think he'd be that stubborn to just drop the guy regularly costing us points since early 2014.

Very true; that's the main positive about the situation.
He'll know himself that Liverpool suit him very well too which should help if we were to get rid of Rodgers fairly soon.

True; I feel like he'd be able to maintain you well but with the quality you possess you could really do with a world class manager to get you winning major trophies.

Both of our clubs have a very uncertain future ahead of us.

Latest