The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
Mignolet to start tomorrow. Karius is No.1, Mignolet No2 choice.

I expect all of our fringe players to get minutes - will be nice to see Ings, Grujic and Stewart see some game time.

Not bothered if we go out - it's only the League Cup and I guess that'd be one less distraction. Still want us to win though, it's just not the end of the world if we don't.
Original post by So Instinct
Firmino becoming the prince that was promised.

Yea he's doing really well and I think credit has to go to Klopp - I don't think he'd flourish in every team.

Original post by mr tim
Mignolet to start tomorrow. Karius is No.1, Mignolet No2 choice.

Anyone surprised with that? The only thing which still surprises me is that Mignolet got a new contract earlier this year..

Original post by Lúcio
I expect all of our fringe players to get minutes - will be nice to see Ings, Grujic and Stewart see some game time.

Not bothered if we go out - it's only the League Cup and I guess that'd be one less distraction. Still want us to win though, it's just not the end of the world if we don't.

I'd prefer if we went strong in many ways. Spurs drew against us even though we were better so would be nice to beat them this time. A number of big teams are getting knocked out this round so it could turn out to be an easy cup to win - Klopp obviously wanted to win it last year and winning trophies breeds the right mentality.

That said, I expect Mignolet to come in. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno too and maybe even Klavan/Lucas at CB? Henderson suspended and I can't see Lallana being risked so perhaps we see Grujic and Stewart with Can? Or Milner moves into the midfield to add experience. Ings will come in so either Coutinho or Mane to be rested and perhaps another good game to give Sturridge minutes?

So I expect Klopp to switch it up even if I want to beat Spurs..
Reply 9842
Feel like karius is mignolet mk2 atm anyway.
I got laughed at by friends suggesting Firmino is a better play than Coutinho last week! What does everyone else think?

Coutinho more prone to individual brilliance, but I think that's partially due to him being more selfish, while Firmino flourishes on being more of a team player.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Feel like karius is mignolet mk2 atm anyway.

He offers better distribution and allows us to play a higher line (important for Klopps system) which is why he is number 1 over Mignolet. Think he will eventually adapt, if Mignolet can improve then so can he and he has age on his side.

Tbh, the fact that he rarely does much in the game bar flapping a couple of times doesn't help him in terms of experience and transitioning. Opponents rarely get chances against us because of the way we control games and when they do get chances, they tend to be from set pieces where Karuis can't do much about when it's a shot from 5 yards out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Looks like a youth/reserves side tomorrow. Grujic, Ings, Ejeria, Alexander-Arlond set to feature.

Sakho to be overlooked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
He offers better distribution and allows us to play a higher line (important for Klopps system) which is why he is number 1 over Mignolet. Think he will eventually adapt, if Mignolet can improve then so can he and he has age on his side.

Tbh, the fact that he rarely does much in the game bar flapping a couple of times doesn't help him in terms of experience and transitioning. Opponents rarely get chances against us because of the way we control games and when they do get chances, they tend to be from set pieces where Karuis can't do much about when it's a shot from 5 yards out.

Precisely - Karius is significantly more comfortable on the ball than Mignolet which is really important with the amount of defensive passing we do.
Aside from that, he's yet to show improvement to Mignolet however like you said, it's hard because we don't concede chances.

People rave about how poor our defence is but it's actually pretty damn good when the ball is in play. Teams don't tend to "carve us open", and we very much restrict them in terms of chance creation. Set pieces are a different matter entirely - that's about the whole team as a disciplined unit, not the quality of the defence from open play.
Consequently, the only chances opponents tend to fashion are "key chances" which they generally score from. The shots on goal we concede almost always go in because they're normally easy chances.

The issue is, I look at Karius constantly misjudging the flight of the ball and I just think to myself, "you're 23 now and if you can't judge a simple cross, how much can we teach you?"
The things Karius is messing up aren't difficult or teasing crosses, they're pretty simple ones where a keeper would come out to catch or punch without huge issue. That's what worries me about him.
Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lucas, Klavan, Moreno, Stewart, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Ejaria, Origi, Sturridge

Subs: Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Can, Lallana, Mane, Ings
(edited 7 years ago)
A reserve/youth side. 11 changes from the XI v WBA. Lucas captain.
On the way to Anfield now, had a **** day and forgot my scarf, hopefully the result is an improvement.
Sturridge 1-0! took full advantage
Yes we're ahead but we've been unacceptably sloppy in possession at the back. I can see Spurs scoring by winning the ball back in the final third.

Spurs have been very poor - good pressing but not very penetrative and it's not very difficult to get at their defence.

Never thought I'd say this but Moreno has been one of our best players...
Moreno been doing well so far.
How is this game still 1-0?

Sturridge going full-Walcott with his chances...
Origi's playing well, christ this Spurs side are awful though

Janssen the latest in a long list of strikers Spurs have bought who've been utter ****
2-1 from from a pen

Quite annoying because we should be out of sight and now it's just a repeat of the WBA game.
2-1 FT

Good result; an exact copy of the WBA game.
Easily the better side; dominated most of the game and found ourselves 2-0 up when it could've been 4 or 5.
Opposing team gets a random goal back out of nothing, giving us a nervous 10-15 minute end of the game.

All in all, a great result considering we didn't use a single first team player except Clyne.
Sturridge and Origi looked lively today. Grujic looks decent but probably needs a year or to develop further. Mignolet looked solid, Moreno terrible etc.
Hopefully we get an easy draw in the next round!
Should have buried it earlier. Sturridge could have had hat-trick.
Original post by Zerforax
Sturridge and Origi looked lively today. Grujic looks decent but probably needs a year or to develop further. Mignolet looked solid, Moreno terrible etc.
Hopefully we get an easy draw in the next round!

One thing that really pissed me off was how wasteful we were; 2-1 flattered Spurs immensely. Although this isn't a league game so GD doesn't apply, therefore a win is a win and on to the next round!

Latest