The Student Room Group

How lenient will universities be this year?

Hi, I'm hoping to apply for economics at some half decent unis, but should I take the risk of applying to a few that have higher requirements?

My teacher told me today that the requirements on their websites are not real and they accept lower ones nowadays as we are paying £9000.

To what extent is this true? Is it worth applying to one that asks for AAB but my predicated grades will be A*BCc?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Yes thanks! As you have applied already could you recommend me what 5 to apply for in terms of grade requirements with the grades I'm predicted, like what 5 would you go for in my position?
'Leniency' doesn't just depend on the whims of admissions tutors. Courses have limited numbers. If they are filled by those who meet their offers, then no-one will be let in with a near-miss; if there are spaces available then anyone who has just failed has a chance.
Depends on so many factors, whether your course is highly subscribed/undersubscribed, how popular your university is, what their average admission rate is, how high their entry requirements are etc. You should contact them directly and ask them. Some unis will give you a little leniency if you miss grades, others will tell you straight up that they won't so it's worth asking so you don't waste your applications on places who would never take you.
Reply 4
Thanks, I have emailed some and will email some more. But can you just answer this what unis would you apply for just in terms of grades if you had the grades I stated, I'm not asking for names of unis just grades for example;

1. AAB
2. AAB
3. ABB
4. BBB
5. BBC

Is that risky with the grades in predicted, should change some to higher or change some to lower?
Your teacher is wrong.

Universities do not publish admissions requirements for the fun of it. That is what they want.

Some Universities, for some courses, will look at applications 'one grade below' or similar, but you wont have any idea which ones these are when you apply. However, any offer they make will be for the stated grades - and that is what they expect you to get in August.

The general advice about how to target your applications is :
1 'risky' choice - above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades
Lots more useful advice about 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
What a Uni takes in Clearing has NO bearing on their initial decisions on initial applications.

Clearing is determined by the number of people fulfilling (or not) the conditions of the offer on Results Day. No-one, including the Unis, can have any idea about Clearing in advance.

Unis want the grade predictions that they are asking for. That is what they look for in their filter of applications - if you don't meet this, either your PS wont get read at all (rejection) or if you are very close they will put you on Hold until later in the year.

Every year, applicants try to second-guess what Unis do or 'think', or pretend they have heard something - a little secret about the process that only they know about. Its a totally pointless activity. Unis do not play 'games' nor do they have a secret back-door that only you'll discover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending