The Student Room Group

Academic Foundation Programme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chippy360
Hi All

For example, could you undertake a normal foundation programme, do audits and teaching on the side and have the same competitive advantage as someone who has done an AFP?

That seems to be the general consensus at my med school.
Original post by Periplo
Hi everyone,

I am a fifth year medical student and I ranked within the 2nd decile of my year. I have no publications or additional degrees but I am nonetheless thinking of applying for an AFP, preferably in London. How much weight does Thames give to past research and degrees when considering candidates for an AFP? Do I even stand a chance?
Also, does anyone know whether Thames has specific criteria for consideration of AFP candidates?

Thanks for your help!

In London with no additional research experience or intercalated degree? By all means give it a shot if you want to do it, but I wouldn't have any real expectations. You are scored based on these additional things that apparently demonstrate commitment to research.
Reply 22
Slightly off topic but has anyone had a go at the official SJT practice paper, did anyone manage to finish it on time? I ran out of time and completely guessed the answers for 4 questions, still got a reasonable score. Am I correct in saying the SJT doesn't form a component of the application for the AFP?
Original post by JOO93
Slightly off topic but has anyone had a go at the official SJT practice paper, did anyone manage to finish it on time? I ran out of time and completely guessed the answers for 4 questions, still got a reasonable score. Am I correct in saying the SJT doesn't form a component of the application for the AFP?

You still need to get a "satisfactory" SJT score. As long as it's not exceptionally low I think we're good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by JOO93

Oddly, despite hearing of warnings from others, I had ample time. I multiplied my percentage by 50 to get my score, not sure if that's how you're meant to work it out?
Reply 25
Original post by Woody.
Oddly, despite hearing of warnings from others, I had ample time. I multiplied my percentage by 50 to get my score, not sure if that's how you're meant to work it out?

SJT converted score = SJT Raw (equated) Score x 0.135 - 81.331.
[Source: the foundation programme website]
That's the best I've been able to find.
Reply 26
Original post by JOO93
SJT converted score = SJT Raw (equated) Score x 0.135 - 81.331.
[Source: the foundation programme website]
That's the best I've been able to find.

Interesting, would you mind linking me to where it gives that formula?

EDIT: According to this formula I got 52, so clearly I'm doing something wrong!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Woody.
Interesting, would you mind linking me to where it gives that formula?

EDIT: According to this formula I got 52, so clearly I'm doing something wrong!

Also that formula is a linear function, whereas the official results very much seem like there is a bit more magic and curve fitting going on. I got 55 using that, but realistically based on how well my med school's cohort did last year, 40-42 is a realistic score for me.
Reply 28
Is it right that if u apply academic programme and are successful but u reject it u will enter back into the normal foundation programme application so it woudlnt impact on u compared to if u didnt apply academic?

I dont think i want to do academic but im tempted to apply just to see if id get in and for the experience of interview etc but id be likely to rejwct it so would i still get the same fy job if i hadnt applied academic
Reply 29
Original post by jooby92
Is it right that if u apply academic programme and are successful but u reject it u will enter back into the normal foundation programme application so it woudlnt impact on u compared to if u didnt apply academic?

I dont think i want to do academic but im tempted to apply just to see if id get in and for the experience of interview etc but id be likely to rejwct it so would i still get the same fy job if i hadnt applied academic

that's a total waste of time and effort on your part and makes some sorry sod wait on a reserve list who otherwise wouldnt.
Reply 30
Its not much effort bar attending interview which id considwr a good learning experience for specialty training interviews?

And i may actually like it if ots about medical education/teaching and not about reaserch
Reply 31
Hey guys just a quick question regarding FPAS.

I am going to declare a publication, and I just wanted to know;

a) When lisitng all authors names, is it full names (John Smith) or just the surname and initial (Smith, J.)
b) What evidence are people submitting as proof of publication?
c) Are you giving the issue number in addition to the volume and page numbers or just the latter?

Thanks guys!
Original post by chippy360
Hi All

Do you guys think it matters where you do an academic programme? For example, does it look better if you do an AFP in Thames compared to Yorkshire & Humber? It seems like a lot of the larger research institutions are based in Thames and therefore perhaps better opportunities?? (Or maybe this is a misconception?).

Also how much benefit does doing an AFP have? Does it stand you in better stead for a clinical fellowship/lectureship role? For example, could you undertake a normal foundation programme, do audits and teaching on the side and have the same competitive advantage as someone who has done an AFP?

I don't think the institution brand is anywhere near as important as the experience you gain. This experience is often better in a large, busy research group (i.e. at a large London teaching institution) but that's not always the case. Those institutions can also sometimes be very "difficult" to work in and hierarchical. You could get much more out of a less-prolific-but-more-supportive academic at another institution. Each job is different and I would consider making serious efforts to talk to people currently in each role if you really want to know what it's like.

An AFP is helpful in terms of showing an early commitment to research but is by no means necessary for an ACF/CL post. However, the main thing to remember is that an AFP provides you with contacts and at least four months in which to do nothing but develop your CV. The opportunity to spend this time teaching, running audits, completing research, attending courses, going to conferences, etc is invaluable. For this reason, it would be difficult (but not impossible) for a regular FY1/FY2 doctor to beat out a colleague who really made the most of an AFP.

Certainly don't worry about the clinical time lost during the AFP. FY1/FY2 gets very "samey" after a while and, by the end, you will happily give up four months and lose nothing for it. In fact, when your time is your own, you can grasp whatever clinical experiences you want or feel you need if necessary. Few academic bosses would stop you going to theatre, clinics, A&E, etc to pursue clinical opportunities if you are still progressing your research projects.
Original post by GrayFox.
Hey guys just a quick question regarding FPAS.

I am going to declare a publication, and I just wanted to know;

a) When lisitng all authors names, is it full names (John Smith) or just the surname and initial (Smith, J.)
b) What evidence are people submitting as proof of publication?
c) Are you giving the issue number in addition to the volume and page numbers or just the latter?

Thanks guys!

a) I listed the authors as shown on pubmed.
b) I've just taken a screenshot of the pubmed entry.
C) all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
C) all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think a copy of the online download is overkill?
Original post by plrodham1
Do you think a copy of the online download is overkill?

Perhaps just the first page? They probs don't need the whole paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by carcinoma
C) all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man :biggrin: I'll go for the screenshot of the pubmed entry as well as the first page, as that's where my full name is actually written.
Reply 37
Hi all,

Just wondering, for those that are applying for AFP (specifically Thames), have you contacted any supervisors to discuss potential research projects? Is this a 'thing'?

Secondly, our white space questions, are they read by examiners who know which AFPs we've applied for, or are they meant to be generic answers that show our suitability to the AFP as a whole?

Thanks in advance y'all.
Reply 38
Original post by Dahvid
Hi all,

Just wondering, for those that are applying for AFP (specifically Thames), have you contacted any supervisors to discuss potential research projects? Is this a 'thing'?

Secondly, our white space questions, are they read by examiners who know which AFPs we've applied for, or are they meant to be generic answers that show our suitability to the AFP as a whole?

Thanks in advance y'all.

Mostly so that when they ask why I want to stay in Glasgow I can say - because I have worked with X before and would like to continue blah blah

Haven't contacted outside places, I don't know anyone there.
Reply 39
When you guys are listing prizes/grants, how much detail are you giving? I'm just writing "received first place for X essay prize entitled X" or "summer research grant from X" but not sure if I'm missing an opportunity to sell myself a bit more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending