The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theviki
Has anyone tried Question 8 (aka Question 2 from the Open Days questions)? It looks to be pretty logical and it's in Section A, so it should be too hard, right? RIGHT?
I got 108, not a clue if it's right.. :/

I am pretty certain the answer is 516. This is quite a fun question.
Here's my answer to Q20. I didn't think the solution should be this simple, but I checked on my calculator and the given sum does converge to my answer as n -> infinity.

Spoiler

Original post by fuzzball909
Here's my answer to Q20. I didn't think the solution should be this simple, but I checked on my calculator and the given sum does converge to my answer as n -> infinity.

Spoiler

Well, since n tends to infinity, can you further simplify that?
Original post by Dobroslav
I am pretty certain the answer is 516. This is quite a fun question.

Yes 516 is correct. I think I decided to skip that question in the exam, even though I enjoy counting questions... Not necessarily the best kind of questions to do quickly and under pressure :smile:
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a while after they released the sample paper, and since no one yet has posted a complete set of solutions (the Cambridge guy took his down), I'm posting mine. The list is missing 3 questions, but I'm convinced that the rest are all correct, but if anyone disagrees then feel free to call me out.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CaptainSpongebob
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a while after they released the sample paper, and since no one yet has posted a complete set of solutions (the Cambridge guy took his down), I'm posting mine. The list is missing 3 questions, but I'm convinced that the rest are all correct, but if anyone disagrees then feel free to call me out.

Spoiler

Number 12 is wrong the question says to give it in terms of n. I made the same mistake when I did it first haha
Number 6 is also wrong, I got corrected by ILoveCS. I also did what you did
I don't think number 17 is correct either that would have been true if zeros can be adjacent to each other. On a second that is correct I think
I need some help with number 18
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ILoveCS
You should be able, with some clever cancelling, to get PkP_k as an expression without pi notation.

I have been trying to get the expression for it. I found that there is an expression for k!k however I can't derive it from first principles, could you give me some hints please?
I have been trying to get the expression for it. I found that there is an expression for k!k however I can't derive it from first principles, could you give me some hints please?

Are you trying to sum k!k? If so, try and use the fact that k*k! = (k+1)! - k!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question 15 factorises as (n)(n^4-1 ) which is also (n)(n^2+1)(n^2-1)=n(n+1)(n-1)(n^2+1.) You notice that it is (n-1)(n)(n+1) this means that it its a product of 3 consecutive integers. Factors of 30 are 2,3,5. In any 3 consecutive integer there will always be a multiple of 2 and a multiple of 3. which means that only a factor of 5 is left to prove. I have seen several ways of proving it is a factor of 5 but I personally did Fermats little theorem, n^p-n is always a multiple of p as long as p is a prime. n^5-n, 5 is a prime, therefore by Fermats little theorem we see that it is always going to be a multiple of 5. Therefore n^5-n is always going to be a multiple of 30 as it is a multiple of 2,3 and 5.

Yeah this is how I did it too, another way to show divisibility by 5 would be to consider the different cases of n mod 5

If: n=0 mod 5, we are done
N=1 mod 5, then n-1 =0 mod 5
N=2 mod 5 then =4 mod 5 therefore n²+1=0 mod 5
n=3 mod 5 then n²-1=0 mod 5
And finally, if n=4 mod 5 then n+1=0mod5

Fermat's little theorem is far and away the easiest way to show it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know if you can take a calculator into the CSAT. The website says no calculators for the CS with Maths test but not specifically the CSAT.
Reply 390
Original post by nutz99
Anyone know if you can take a calculator into the CSAT. The website says no calculators for the CS with Maths test but not specifically the CSAT.

It says on the front of the sample paper that calculators are not permitted
Original post by nutz99

Definitely no calculators at the CSAT. This is somewhat a good thing: this means the numbers should be relatively pleasant to deal with...
Number 12 is wrong the question says to give it in terms of n. I made the same mistake when I did it first haha
Number 6 is also wrong, I got corrected by ILoveCS. I also did what you did
I don't think number 17 is correct either that would have been true if zeros can be adjacent to each other. On a second that is correct I think
I need some help with number 18

I'm not sure how 6 could be wrong, i've checked the graphs and it seems -4/3 is the upper limit. In response to 18, notice how the longitudinal lines of the earth are going to range in length from 2πR to 0 (equator to poles). Therefore there must be a longitudinal line which is exactly n miles in length (or in this case the one we're looking for is n/2 miles). With this just take a cross section of the earth and calculate the arc length.
I'm not sure how 6 could be wrong, i've checked the graphs and it seems -4/3 is the upper limit. In response to 18, notice how the longitudinal lines of the earth are going to range in length from 2πR to 0 (equator to poles). Therefore there must be a longitudinal line which is exactly n miles in length (or in this case the one we're looking for is n/2 miles). With this just take a cross section of the earth and calculate the arc length.

For question 6 I am guessing you dy/dx 2 times and then made it equal to 0 and all that. I did that too and I was hinted by ILoveCS to try to sub in x=-1 then any values of K, you should realise it is a trick question :wink:
For question 6 I am guessing you dy/dx 2 times and then made it equal to 0 and all that. I did that too and I was hinted by ILoveCS to try to sub in x=-1 then any values of K, you should realise it is a trick question :wink:

But isn't the question asking for the maximum, its clear that for all f(-1) remains constant, so you would have to take that second derivative?
But isn't the question asking for the maximum, its clear that for all f(-1) remains constant, so you would have to take that second derivative?

if it remains constant throughout, that means there is only 1 possible point. meaning the answer is any values of k :P

I see your point. But I think this question was looking for something else...
Some of these questions have unfortunate wording.

Oh, and it never mentioned what it is maximum with respect to, so it could well mean maximum w.r.t k and not w.r.t x, and so its fine...
if it remains constant throughout, that means there is only 1 possible point. meaning the answer is any values of k :P

Ahhh, I suppose it comes down to your interpretation of the problem. I took maximum to mean it was a max turning point, although if it was asking what is the greatest value of f(-1), then thats something else entirely
Original post by ILoveCS
I see your point. But I think this question was looking for something else...
Some of these questions have unfortunate wording.

They do.. q11 was an absolute pain since I "misinterpreted" what it was asking. But in the end it did yield a very nice solution

Latest

Trending

Trending