The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How are things for others? I haven't touched CSAT since actually.. Thought I'd try and kick things off again... This is an attempt to Q15 (might be completely misguided), any thoughts? What are others doing for prep?
Reply 41
I actually went off to apply to Oxford instead and did the MAT (which went terribly :biggrin: ).

Good luck with CSAT prep! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rohanpritchard
How are things for others? I haven't touched CSAT since actually.. Thought I'd try and kick things off again... This is an attempt to Q15 (might be completely misguided), any thoughts? What are others doing for prep?

I don't think Q15 is answerable. Ignore the curvature of the earth for the moment. If you start n + n/(2 k \pi) miles north of the pole (where k is a positive integer), your journey will have you circling the pole k times, and returning to your starting point. Thus we're after the minimum value of n + n/(2 k \pi) for k a positive integer -- but that set has no minimum element! If you do consider the curvature of the earth, you get the same problem.

Gavin
Reply 43
Original post by gavinlowe
I don't think Q15 is answerable. Ignore the curvature of the earth for the moment. If you start n + n/(2 k \pi) miles north of the pole (where k is a positive integer), your journey will have you circling the pole k times, and returning to your starting point. Thus we're after the minimum value of n + n/(2 k \pi) for k a positive integer -- but that set has no minimum element! If you do consider the curvature of the earth, you get the same problem.

Gavin

Shots fired by a CompSci Prof from The Other Place!

:smile:
Would learning A level Computer science books help with this Admissions test?
Reply 45
A Level? No. Something slightly above A Level? Maybe. But the test is mostly based on A Level Maths topics. They are just applied to unfamiliar/more complex situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi just saw this thread! I found Section A pretty easy and 16 and 25 from Section B but I'm still struggling with the other two from Section B. I am preparing for it by looking at MAT and STEP papers at the moment.
Original post by JasonSome
How can you be so sure that the answer would be a polynomial of degree 2? Why can't it be a polynomial of degree 3, or 4, etc?

By looking at the difference between the numbers in the series and when it becomes constant. So initially the difference between 3, 6, 10 and 15 is 3, 4, and 5 respectively, and then the difference is 1 between 3, 4 and 5. So as it became a constant on the 2nd attempt, it is a quadratic. If it the difference was constant first off it would be linear, if it took 3 attempts it would be cubic etc.. :smile:
Original post by thecsstudent
Hi just saw this thread! I found Section A pretty easy and 16 and 25 from Section B but I'm still struggling with the other two from Section B. I am preparing for it by looking at MAT and STEP papers at the moment.

Did you have to refer to Fermat's Little Theorem for 25? I understand how to do it once I've referred to Fermat's Little Theorem... But I wonder how you would do it if you didn't know about the theorem? Or perhaps you just pick a different question... I actually couldn't do 25 until I randomly watched a video about the theorem online and I was like wait I've seen that somewhere! :wink:
Original post by rohanpritchard
Did you have to refer to Fermat's Little Theorem for 25? I understand how to do it once I've referred to Fermat's Little Theorem... But I wonder how you would do it if you didn't know about the theorem? Or perhaps you just pick a different question... I actually couldn't do 25 until I randomly watched a video about the theorem online and I was like wait I've seen that somewhere! :wink:

I actually tried it with Fermat's Little Theorem as well at first but then I also found another way. Not 100% sure it makes sense but I think it does.

Spoiler

Reply 50
Original post by jneill

Original post by gavinlowe

Gavin

Shots fired by a CompSci Prof from The Other Place!:smile:

Sure it is. You may want to reread the question - it states "without visiting any point more than twice". Your assumption thus contradicts the question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by trask
Sure it is. You may want to read the question carefully - it states "without visiting any point more than twice". Your assumption thus contradicts the question.

Who's assumption? I think you meant to reply to @gavinlowe not me... BTW he *IS* an Oxford CS Professor.
Reply 52
Original post by jneill
Who's assumption? I think you meant to reply to @gavinlowe not me... BTW he *IS* an Oxford CS Professor.

Yes, i meant to reply to him, got mixed up. I don't see what him being a cs prof at oxford has to do with the question (profs can be wrong too, which he is in this case).
Reply 53
Original post by trask
Yes, i meant to reply to him, got mixed up. I don't see what him being a cs prof at oxford has to do with the question (profs can be wrong too, which he is in this case).

:biggrin:
Reply 54
Actually, the webpage version mentions "without visiting any point more than twice" but the pdf version does not. Probably a transcribing error, i've sent them an email. Gavin probably read the pdf version, in which case he wasn't exactly wrong (though n+n/(2kpi) approaches n if we let k grow, so the answer in that case could be n, but at k->infinity it implies you'd be spinning forever at the pole so you'd never get back even though the minimum distance from where you started is n).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trask
Sure it is. You may want to reread the question - it states "without visiting any point more than twice". Your assumption thus contradicts the question.

Ah, you're quite right! :colondollar:

Gavin
Original post by thecsstudent
I actually tried it with Fermat's Little Theorem as well at first but then I also found another way. Not 100% sure it makes sense but I think it does.

Spoiler

I took a similar approach too, although I didn't use induction for the last part. (Hint: note that when n can be written in one of the forms 5k, 5k + 1, 5k + 4 where k is a non-negative integer, it is trivial to show that the expression is divisible by 5. Now consider values of n in one of the forms 5k + 2, 5k + 3.)
Original post by marioman
I took a similar approach too, although I didn't use induction for the last part. (Hint: note that when n can be written in one of the forms 5k, 5k + 1, 5k + 4 where k is a non-negative integer, it is trivial to show that the expression is divisible by 5. Now consider values of n in one of the forms 5k + 2, 5k + 3.)

I actually hadn't thought of that way but it does make more sense. I guess there are many more ways still.
So terrified for this exam. Especially since I'm struggling on Q1 xD Can't get anything other than b = a(sqrt(2)) - c(sqrt(3)) and since sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) are irrational, integer multiples of them are still irrational, so the difference between integer multiples of them cannot be a positive integer. (Like you can't make npi = a(sqrt(2)), etc.). So it's a,b,c=0? But, doesn't feel right xD
I seem to be working it out massively different to everyone else for Q2?
EDIT: Screw that question about the earths surface, absolutely no clue.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So terrified for this exam. Especially since I'm struggling on Q1 xD Can't get anything other than b = a(sqrt(2)) - c(sqrt(3)) and since sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) are irrational, integer multiples of them are still irrational, so the difference between integer multiples of them cannot be a positive integer. (Like you can't make npi = a(sqrt(2)), etc.). So it's a,b,c=0? But, doesn't feel right xD

Consider the definition of an irrational number. Can you re-arrange the equation to arrive at a condradiction? (Hint: Making b the subject probably won't get you very far.)

Latest

Trending

Trending