The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Horrendous. Full of smelly foreigners, who stink the place out with their BO and excrement.
Megabus is fine.

Generally it's run with the same coaches as National Express as the companiesare pretty much the same. If you look on the internet you can get some good ticket deals, too- such as £1 Ox-Cam and soon.

I've used them a few times to go home with and they've not let me down yet. :smile:
I travel London to Manchester on national express and its fine :smile:

If you book at the right time you can do that journey for £1 each way on National Express!

Given the choice id always stick to national express, I dont know why, I just dont like the thought of megabus for some reason.

Generally though, price wise National express is usually roughly the same price as Megabus everytime ive checked. Usually about £6 each way.

* Im actually going to Manchester next friday on national express- returning sunday night and it was £7 each way
Reply 4
Hmm differing opinions then!

louisedotcom
If you book at the right time you can do that journey for £1 each way on National Express!

When's the right time? Way in advance or practically the day before?
Reply 5
I'm off home tomorrow on the megabus - I always take megabus over train when going home now. My only complaint would be that the loos are a bit manky, but then again Scotrail trains have disgusting toilets as well, so no real change. Never had any problems with them :smile:
Reply 6
I've been on both and National Express actually works out cheaper for me now because of funfares. If i book it far enough in advance then its £1 each way. Megabus can be that cheap, but you pay a 50p booking fee and you have to book further back in advance.

Not all megabuses are coaches, some are actually buses. And those ones didn't use to have seatbelts, not sure if they do now. The buses are ok, but obviously not as comfortable.

I've only switched to national express because they stop nearer to my uni now.
My sister goes to London on megabus quite often - no complaints that I have heard of... need to book early for the cheap £1 deals around here tho - otherwise it ends up costing around £8.

Only real issue is time - car and train can get to London in 70-90mins from here but the megabus takes something like 180+!
Reply 8
Hmm. Well I've checked and MegaBus would work out £2 cheaper. I don't know if it's worth the saved £2. :p: Decisions decisions.
Reply 9
S'all good in my opinion, tho I haven't used it loads.

There's also a MegaTrain which my mates have used, can get some veeery cheap train tickets and apparently it's fine.
Reply 10
I use megabus to travel from Aberdeen to London - 13 gruelling hours!
It's not too bad, the best thing you should do is get right to the front of the top deck. It's much more comfortable if you can actually see where you're going and you have a bit more legroom. Also, take music! An mp3 is an absolute essential! I can manage 13 hours absolutely no problem if I have my (fully charge) mp3.

Don't bother using the toilet either. Wait till you get to the service station. Other than that it's cheap and gets you from A+B. It's just some of the passengers are a pain in the arse (fidgeting, talking and laughing loudly in the middle of the night when you're trying to sleep) and it gets a bit claustrophobic so like I said, get to the front, and travel during the day so you don't have to worry about trying to get some sleep.
Reply 11
never tried megabus before but thats because ive often always found national express to be cheaper using their funfare. ive got a £1 fare booked for london - manchester, cheaper than what megabus ever offers inclusive of booking fees!

also invested in national express's student coach card which entitles me to 33% off the normal fare for £10 (18months using discount code), quickly paid itself back!

saying that, megabus should be fine. they normally stick one of the new doubledeckers for manc-london route though i have seen a really old bus running that route once. national express you can be sure that the coaches are modern enough to be comfortable.
Reply 12
Thanks everyone - I went for the National Express one in the end. Just because I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise, dunno why!
I've used mega bus a fair few times and I've never had a single problem. It's handy because I'm always skint but like to go to london to see friends but I live in Leeds and the crazy train fare is not an option.

Booking a month in advance means you can get there and back for £2.
Reply 14
The coaches are very new but basic, the main problem I have with it is the slowness, accounting for the fact my time is money its always so much cheaper for me to travel by train.
Reply 15
If I'm going from Glasgow to London or vice versa, I always take the train. Primarily because it takes significantly less time to get there when travelling via that option. There's also significantly more space and comfort, and quieter too, but then again I normally travel first class on long distance train journeys, which may explain a lot.
Reply 16
It takes less time for me to get the megabus home than the train :smile:
Reply 17
Acaila
It takes less time for me to get the megabus home than the train :smile:

From where to where?

It can be quicker by road, but in general terms, I find that the longer the distance travelled, the better off you would be getting the train.

Although, if I was really tight for time, I would fly. However, I'm not the world's greatest fan of the flying experience and feel a tad guilty about domestic air travel and its un-necessary pollution.
Reply 18
i had to get on a megabus double decker recently to get from one train station to the next, due to railworks, like literally a 3minute journey - me no likey megabus...

uncomfy seats, crazily narrow aisle, luggage everywhere; there's no way i could stick a longer journey than a couple minutes.
Reply 19
i used it to go to london from sheffield one time. cost about £3!! no problems with the service at all, slept most of the way!

Latest