The Student Room Group

How much will it cost approx to replace a manual gearbox on a 2006 mk2 focus diesel?

How much would it cost approx to replace a manual gearbox on a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 diesel ?

Clunking between gears, small pieces of metal in gearbox oil, transmission light on sometimes , leads me to think gearbox may be failing , despite this car goes into every gear excellent.

How much approx to replace gearbox at a garage if I handed them a used gearbox in good condition and asked them to fit it ?

thanks
A few hours labour? It might be worth getting the clutch changed at the same time as it is effectively the same procedure. Are you absolutely sure the problem is the gear box? I splashed out on new drive shafts once only to find the problem was the wheel bearing.
http://reconditionedgearboxes.com/Manufacturers/ford/fo2/index.html

IN NO WAY a recommendation but it gives an idea.

buying a scrap box is a gamble, best ask an independent that you can trust.
They often have trade contacts to exchange your box for a rebuilt one.

there have been a few TV expose programmes where a "rebuilt" part was just steam cleaned and painted up.

Investigate the source of the bits first
Reply 3
How do you know this used box is in "good condition" unless you've had it rebuilt?
Original post by JC.
How do you know this used box is in "good condition" unless you've had it rebuilt?

Don't. Gonna hang!e and make sure it is under cover. Also make some inquiries about it
Either that or you can give me £1900 for brand new box, if not do not judge me for buying used box
Reply 5
Original post by Happy as punch
Don't. Gonna hang!e and make sure it is under cover. Also make some inquiries about it
Either that or you can give me £1900 for brand new box, if not do not judge me for buying used box

You're stupid just chucking an unknown box in.
At the very least you should drain the oil and pass it through some muslin cloth and see what is suspended in it.
If it were me I'd pull it to bits and check the bearings...
Original post by JC.
You're stupid just chucking an unknown box in.
At the very least you should drain the oil and pass it through some muslin cloth and see what is suspended in it.
If it were me I'd pull it to bits and check the bearings...

Your stupid yourself
Reply 7
Original post by Happy as punch
Your stupid yourself

Perhaps, but unlike you I don't remove all doubt by posting the silly things I do all over the internet...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending