The Student Room Group

HELP ME! Bass is ruining my life!

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a really frustrated person here! :tux:

I recently moved into a studio in private halls. The neighbour is a sound/music/electric something major and plays music with heavy bass that rings in my room practically all day. It's not the actual song that's audible, just a constant dull thump-thump-thud-thud-bud-bud, that I feel has now taken over my life. :ssaw: I hear it over the TV, over my computer, when I'm studying, reading, cooking, just whenever! The only thing that cancels it out is my speaker's bass levels on an all time high too.

We share a wall, desks on either side of the wall so his speaker system is right up there against the wall. I've asked many times that he please reduce the BASS levels so that my space isn't so permanently invaded with his noise, irrespective of what I'm doing. You don't need peace just when you're studying, isn't it a basic requirement of daily life? (Also, I'm not a robot who eats, sleeps, studies and spends the in betweens listening to some cool bass) I said I understand that he is entitled to use his space as he wishes, but not entitled to mentally harass someone.

He was initially ok with it (but a bit moronic, he turned it off when I merely asked him to lower the bass), but then, with the help of his friends, insisted that he only has to keep it at a lower volume/level during the hours of 11pm-7am and is entitled to play anything for however long, and however loud, every.single.remaining.hour of the day.

The management are potatoes. They seemed to think I hate music (Uhm, NO!), that I have a low tolerance for it (also untrue), and that "in this country people really like music" (said the accommodation manager, gesturing to a mini radio; oh really? Being an alien, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!! :colonhash: ) The manager was a bit silly, seemed to think I had some beef with the genre of music. WTF?!
:withstupid:

I believe we both have equal rights, and that it is a basic right of mine to have some peace and quiet in my home. Also I think he violates my rights and if he wants to continue in this fashion, should pay half my rent for using my space as a bass testing zone against my will. The hours are relevant when throwing a party and just with basic conduct in halls! During the day, by all means play as much music as you like, just don't force someone else to listen to it too! And finally, it's just basic consideration, we're students, surprisingly we study sometimes, maybe we wanna be sane when we get our won't-get-me-a-job-but-costs-too-much degrees. Go figure. :troll:

So at the moment my lovely disposition is that I have to do this :headbang: whenever he's in his room, use external study spaces and basically just turn MY life upside down and inconvenience myself so bass-boy(bastard) gets the ultra experience of awesome subwoofers or whatever. Because that's a basic necessity.

Any help will be much appreciated! <3

PS: He admits it's heavy bass, but that he NEEDS to play it cause he's doing music. Duh, why didn't I think of that! :sheep:
Reply 1
Original post by frogitude
Also I think he violates my rights and if he wants to continue in this fashion, should pay half my rent for using my space as a bass testing zone against my will.

This is the most amazing thing I've read all week. Thank you.

Wow I'm really sorry to hear that, that sounds awful :frown:
Are you new to the UK? Not that it makes a difference, but the "people play loud music in this country" line stood out a little bit.

The guy sounds like a first-class d*****bag in anycase; insisting that he needs to play criminally loud music because of his course is stupid. I lived with a music student last year who never felt the need to play her instruments in the flat.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm a really frustrated person here! :tux:

I recently moved into a studio in private halls. The neighbour is a sound/music/electric something major and plays music with heavy bass that rings in my room practically all day. It's not the actual song that's audible, just a constant dull thump-thump-thud-thud-bud-bud, that I feel has now taken over my life. :ssaw: I hear it over the TV, over my computer, when I'm studying, reading, cooking, just whenever! The only thing that cancels it out is my speaker's bass levels on an all time high too.

We share a wall, desks on either side of the wall so his speaker system is right up there against the wall. I've asked many times that he please reduce the BASS levels so that my space isn't so permanently invaded with his noise, irrespective of what I'm doing. You don't need peace just when you're studying, isn't it a basic requirement of daily life? (Also, I'm not a robot who eats, sleeps, studies and spends the in betweens listening to some cool bass) I said I understand that he is entitled to use his space as he wishes, but not entitled to mentally harass someone.

He was initially ok with it (but a bit moronic, he turned it off when I merely asked him to lower the bass), but then, with the help of his friends, insisted that he only has to keep it at a lower volume/level during the hours of 11pm-7am and is entitled to play anything for however long, and however loud, every.single.remaining.hour of the day.

The management are potatoes. They seemed to think I hate music (Uhm, NO!), that I have a low tolerance for it (also untrue), and that "in this country people really like music" (said the accommodation manager, gesturing to a mini radio; oh really? Being an alien, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!! :colonhash: ) The manager was a bit silly, seemed to think I had some beef with the genre of music. WTF?!
:withstupid:

I believe we both have equal rights, and that it is a basic right of mine to have some peace and quiet in my home. Also I think he violates my rights and if he wants to continue in this fashion, should pay half my rent for using my space as a bass testing zone against my will. The hours are relevant when throwing a party and just with basic conduct in halls! During the day, by all means play as much music as you like, just don't force someone else to listen to it too! And finally, it's just basic consideration, we're students, surprisingly we study sometimes, maybe we wanna be sane when we get our won't-get-me-a-job-but-costs-too-much degrees. Go figure. :troll:

So at the moment my lovely disposition is that I have to do this :headbang: whenever he's in his room, use external study spaces and basically just turn MY life upside down and inconvenience myself so bass-boy(bastard) gets the ultra experience of awesome subwoofers or whatever. Because that's a basic necessity.

Any help will be much appreciated! <3

PS: He admits it's heavy bass, but that he NEEDS to play it cause he's doing music. Duh, why didn't I think of that! :sheep:

I sympathise - noise would drive me nuts too. What an a**e he is.

You will have a student welfare officer - you need to go an speak to them.

Make a recording of the noise on your phone so that others can hear what you are putting up with.

Get yourself some headphones or earplugs ( Boots have them)

Finally - now that you are into term - there will be some people who have decided university is not for them. There will be vacant rooms so you can move.

But you need to have documented all this in writing to various people so there is no comeback on costs for you - i.e. unpaid rent etc. Good luck - it will improve
What a nightmare. You will need to take this to the local authority. Google your local authority and noisy neighbours, there are some formal procedures. People aren't entitled to destroy your life with noise, however much they insist they have the right to do it and you are boring etc.

Unfortunately this is one of the problems with private halls, if this had been in university halls they would have done something about it, as they know you need to have a good experience....in private halls all they care about is getting someone in and making sure they are held to their contract to pay the rent, they don't care whether you are happy there or not.

Also a sad part of university is that you come across these people that are very "entitled", it's often about noise, playing music, partying etc. They will insist that they have the right to disturb anybody else and if other people complain it's because they are boring. I remember when I was at uni we lived in a shared house in a terrace and some students came in and rented one of the houses on our street and started blaring music all through the night - the usual problem was they would go out and come back at 3am and then turn on the subwoofers for about 2 hours to announce to everyone they were cool and come back from a night out. The family living next door to them had a young baby and went round to see them about it and said it was disturbing their baby and them (and they had full time jobs) and the students said "well you shouldn't live in a student area then"....bearing in mind these were people who had bought a house and the students had just moved in temporarily next to them!
Original post by MagicNMedicine
X

Hey,

In this case, providing OP is in halls, they'd be looking to speak to someone from the university opposed to the local authority. If they were in perhaps a shared house in the local area and the noise was coming from next door, then they could contact the council. If it was from a housemate it'd still be at the university as they'd ultimately have better force to get them to shut up. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Roving Fish
Hey,

In this case, providing OP is in halls, they'd be looking to speak to someone from the university opposed to the local authority. If they were in perhaps a shared house in the local area and the noise was coming from next door, then they could contact the council. If it was from a housemate it'd still be at the university as they'd ultimately have better force to get them to shut up. :smile:

xxx

Except @frogitude says they have told the uni accomodation people and they haven't taken it seriously. Any noise nuisance can be the council's concern if the landlord (the uni) doesn't do anything about it.

OP should go back to the uni accom guy and say it's still a problem and you will contact the council if they don't do anything. Then if necessary contact the council.

The process will be on the council's site but they can start here:
https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/complain-about-noise-to-the-council
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Except @frogitude says they have told the uni accomodation people and they haven't taken it seriously. Any noise nuisance can be the council's concern if the landlord (the uni) doesn't do anything about it.

OP should go back to the uni accom guy and say it's still a problem and you will contact the council if they don't do anything. Then if necessary contact the council.

The process will be on the council's site but they can start here:
https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/complain-about-noise-to-the-council

Ah, apologies. I had a scan of the thread and missed out that all important detail :facepalm:

I think that the SU would be able to advise through the process though?
Reply 8
Original post by Roving Fish
Ah, apologies. I had a scan of the thread and missed out that all important detail :facepalm:

I think that the SU would be able to advise through the process though?

Yep - I'm sure the SU would help. :smile:
OP I would first start keeping a journal or record of the noise, and how it affects you. Record things like when it starts in the morning and finishes at night, and any impact on you: 'had to leave to study in the library because of noise', 'couldn't watch TV without hearing the music', etc. This will help you when you try to push things higher up to be dealt with. Keep a note of any times you speak to management about it, and also your interactions with the housemate - any time you asked him to turn it down, his reaction, etc.
As others have said, approach your SU for help about talking to the halls management again, and bring along your journal showing the details of the noise. Try & record the noise on your phone or some other recording device occasionally if possible, or insist that someone from management come to your room to hear it for themselves.
I would also start asking in the university accommodation office if any spare rooms have become available. Do you have a personal tutor at uni? I would contact them & explain the problem, and enlist their help in making sure that the uni accommodation service house you once something is available as a matter of high priority.

Good luck, I do empathise as I am currently having to deal with the w*nker living upstairs and his noise in my own accommodation. At this point I am pursuing it through the official route: all written correspondence, and I am starting a noise journal myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Neighbours playing loud bass is soul-destroying. We had to call the council to our [private] flat and they had a word with the neighbour who has been a lot more reasonable since then.

In the meantime you should take up the bagpipes. Or drums. Or both.

I certainly wouldn't condone tripping the fusebox to kill the power to his room. Not at all.
Reply 11
He is a ****ing ****, I don't ever listen to music without my headphones on because I don't want to bother my housemates. I don't know how people can be so inconsiderate.
Reply 13
A real audiophile would use headphones. Tell him he's a pleb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smear **** on his door and leave a note saying "As long as I deal with your **** you deal with mine"
Try the Su and then take it to environmental health. Also Amazon do brilliant earplugs and ear defenders for the mean time ( I relied on them to get through halls myself, and whenever people come in noisey from night outs they are a godsend)
Reply 16
Original post by JuliusDS92
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that, that sounds awful :frown:
Are you new to the UK? Not that it makes a difference, but the "people play loud music in this country" line stood out a little bit.

The guy sounds like a first-class d*****bag in anycase; insisting that he needs to play criminally loud music because of his course is stupid. I lived with a music student last year who never felt the need to play her instruments in the flat.

Yeah I'm in the UK! I'm noticeably tanned so people make the assumption that my complaint arises due to the fact I'm having trouble settling into a new culture - not at all.

Original post by squeakysquirrel

You will have a student welfare officer - you need to go an speak to them.

Make a recording of the noise on your phone so that others can hear what you are putting up with.

Get yourself some headphones or earplugs ( Boots have them)

Finally - now that you are into term - there will be some people who have decided university is not for them. There will be vacant rooms so you can move.

But you need to have documented all this in writing to various people so there is no comeback on costs for you - i.e. unpaid rent etc. Good luck - it will improve

Thanks for the advice on documenting the request,I've noticed private halls tend to mention things like overdue payments once they've agreed to something already! Also, I was lucky enough to speak to someone new at the desk today, who was very sympathetic to the situation and has agreed to get me into a new room! Let's just hope that the new neighbours are not bass-boy's best friends :yikes:.

Also, I was lucky enough to speak to someone new at the desk today, who was very sympathetic to the situation and has agreed to get me into a new room! Let's just hope that the new neighbours are not bass-boy's best friends :yikes:.

That's good, and they really should speak to him otherwise that will always be a problem room, and be difficult to get tenants to stay in due to something that he is causing.

The one time I had experience in private halls was when I needed to come back for a short term let in the summer holidays, and the woman in the halls was very helpful till I had moved in, and then I had problems with the neighbours doing constant parties all the time, and she was very dismissive, saying "well I'm sure if you ask them nicely they'll allow you to join in" and when I kept raising it she just said "look, you're a student, living with students, you have to accept these things". Fortunately it was only for a few weeks but these are a real issue and unfortunately a lot of people tend to dismiss them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending