The Student Room Group

Do I need 4 A-Levels to do medicine?

I was doing maths, biology, chemistry and history but dropped maths because it was stressing me out a lot. I see that a lot of medical schools have 'AAAb', and that they want a 4th AS level. Can I still get into these schools with only three full A-Levels?
Original post by xxVENUSx
I was doing maths, biology, chemistry and history but dropped maths because it was stressing me out a lot. I see that a lot of medical schools have 'AAAb', and that they want a 4th AS level. Can I still get into these schools with only three full A-Levels?

Three full A levels and an AS level is absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Three full A levels and an AS level is absolutely fine :smile:

Lol, I mean I'm in year 12, just started A-Levels but dropped maths.
Lol, I mean I'm in year 12, just started A-Levels but dropped maths.

In that case then you would be making things very difficult for yourself - if the entry requirement is AAAb then that's what they'll want to see.
Reply 4
In that case then you would be making things very difficult for yourself - if the entry requirement is AAAb then that's what they'll want to see.

What do I do then, I can't rejoin the class and I was falling behind anyway. The deadline for adding A-Levels passed today (when I dropped maths). I'm worried now...
What do I do then, I can't rejoin the class and I was falling behind anyway. The deadline for adding A-Levels passed today (when I dropped maths). I'm worried now...

Ask to do it next year?
Reply 6
Ask to do it next year?

There's no other A-Levels I want to do/i'm good at.
There's no other A-Levels I want to do/i'm good at.

Wouldn't you be willing to try? The alternative is not getting into medical school.
Reply 8
Wouldn't you be willing to try? The alternative is not getting into medical school.

It doesn't matter anymore, my GCSE grades were too low to even try and apply, I got B's in most subjects except for the A in biology. My life goal is ruined, why even try to do anything else, thinking what I wanted isn't obtainable.
It doesn't matter anymore, my GCSE grades were too low to even try and apply, I got B's in most subjects except for the A in biology. My life goal is ruined, why even try to do anything else, thinking what I wanted isn't obtainable.

That's not the case at all! You can still get into med school with less than outstanding GCSEs. You won't be able to get in if you're missing an AS level however. Don't sabotage yourself.

Try applying for a degree is medical sciences, then reapply for medicine after achieving your first degree as a graduate. They'll be more likely to take you on if you have another science/medicine related degree in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending