The Student Room Group

Medicine with Foundation Durham 2016 entry

Hi guys

Just thought I would start a thread for people applying to Durham in 2016 for the Medicine with Foundation course. I have applied already as I have also applied for 5 year course (I am a grad). I have taken the UKCAT already but might need to take it again if its not high enough for this year if I get an offer. I got enough going on last years amount so hopefully it will be fine as I hate the exam :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Great idea starting a thread for 2016. I read last year's thread and it was so useful. I sat the UKCAT today. So glad that it's over and done with! Now to wait and see what happens...
Reply 2
Original post by Enirroc7
Hi,

Great idea starting a thread for 2016. I read last year's thread and it was so useful. I sat the UKCAT today. So glad that it's over and done with! Now to wait and see what happens...

How did it go? I have enough going on last years cut off so hopefully it will be the same this year :smile:
Reply 3
If this year's cut off is similar then I'll be fine but that's if the admission team will accept the UKCAT score for this cycle. Prior to sitting the test I sent an email to the admissions team and the response was that I'd be required to take the UKCAT only once an offer had been given. I had to sit it because my other offers required it. The thought of doing it again next year is hideous. Is this your first time applying for medicine?
If this year's cut off is similar then I'll be fine but that's if the admission team will accept the UKCAT score for this cycle. Prior to sitting the test I sent an email to the admissions team and the response was that I'd be required to take the UKCAT only once an offer had been given. I had to sit it because my other offers required it. The thought of doing it again next year is hideous. Is this your first time applying for medicine?

I got 687.5, how did you do?
Reply 5
Ukcat scores are similar to last year :smile: hopefully the cut off will be around the same but I know it depends on what scores people that apply got rather than the average overall. It's looking good tho :smile:
I'm in Year 12

Aspiring to be a doctor and to do Medicine at either UCL, Imperial, East Anglia or Southampton. I do understand my grades aren't the best therefore I am also prepared to take Biomedical science.

GCSEs
Maths and Additional Science were both A
Core Science, History, French, English Literature and Drama studies were all Bs
English Language which I will be retaking next year hopefully was a C

A Level choices are Maths Biology Chemistry Accounting
Predicted AS grades
Biology A
Chemistry A
Maths A
Accounting B

I do hope to gain A*AA at A2 because I will be dropping Accounting. I have had a lot of work experience and attended lectures at 6 Universities such as Univeristy College London and Roehampton.

Just wondering what my chances were seeing as I got undesirable grades GCSE

First post so sorry about the essay

So far is this okay for Durham?
Reply 7
Original post by AmbitiousMedic99
I'm in Year 12

Aspiring to be a doctor and to do Medicine at either UCL, Imperial, East Anglia or Southampton. I do understand my grades aren't the best therefore I am also prepared to take Biomedical science.

GCSEs
Maths and Additional Science were both A
Core Science, History, French, English Literature and Drama studies were all Bs
English Language which I will be retaking next year hopefully was a C

A Level choices are Maths Biology Chemistry Accounting
Predicted AS grades
Biology A
Chemistry A
Maths A
Accounting B

I do hope to gain A*AA at A2 because I will be dropping Accounting. I have had a lot of work experience and attended lectures at 6 Universities such as Univeristy College London and Roehampton.

Just wondering what my chances were seeing as I got undesirable grades GCSE

First post so sorry about the essay

So far is this okay for Durham?

Hi there,

I cannot say for certain from memory what the entry requirements are for Durham. Entry requirements constantly change so it would be a good idea to visit their website and double check them closer to the time when you want to make your application. Please do not be disheartened by what you would consider to be undesirable GCSE grades. The admissions team consider many other factors alongside academics. Work experience is just as important (if not more so in some cases) than academics and also writing a personal statement that will stand out amongst other candidates. You have every chance of succeeding with your application, wherever you eventually decide to apply in the future.
Reply 8
Original post by michellem3
Ukcat scores are similar to last year :smile: hopefully the cut off will be around the same but I know it depends on what scores people that apply got rather than the average overall. It's looking good tho :smile:

I'm also hoping the cut off will be around the same mark this year. It would certainly seem that way, given this year's UKCAT scores. However you're right...it does also depend on the overall average of the applicants to the course. Fingers crossed :smile: Is Durham the only university that you applied to?
Reply 9
I'm also hoping the cut off will be around the same mark this year. It would certainly seem that way, given this year's UKCAT scores. However you're right...it does also depend on the overall average of the applicants to the course. Fingers crossed :smile: Is Durham the only university that you applied to?

Hi

Nope I've applied to 3 others but for 5 year courses. I'm a graduate. What about you? :smile:
Hi

Nope I've applied to 3 others but for 5 year courses. I'm a graduate. What about you? :smile:

I've applied for 3 others, too. 1 graduate, another course with a foundation year and a 5 year course. It's my first time applying for medicine. Have you applied before?
Reply 11
I've applied for 3 others, too. 1 graduate, another course with a foundation year and a 5 year course. It's my first time applying for medicine. Have you applied before?

No this is my first time :smile: what about u? I'm
Taking the bmat as well which I prefer to the ukcat :/
No this is my first time :smile: what about u? I'm
Taking the bmat as well which I prefer to the ukcat :/

It's my first time, too. Good luck with the BMAT :smile:
Hi there,

I cannot say for certain from memory what the entry requirements are for Durham. Entry requirements constantly change so it would be a good idea to visit their website and double check them closer to the time when you want to make your application. Please do not be disheartened by what you would consider to be undesirable GCSE grades. The admissions team consider many other factors alongside academics. Work experience is just as important (if not more so in some cases) than academics and also writing a personal statement that will stand out amongst other candidates. You have every chance of succeeding with your application, wherever you eventually decide to apply in the future.

Thank you very much, will definitely have a look at the current requirements
Reply 14
I am 23 year old male. I have been out of education for like 6 years. I am only educated to GCSE level so not sure if it is worth my while applying :frown:
Original post by Cmhddk
I am 23 year old male. I have been out of education for like 6 years. I am only educated to GCSE level so not sure if it is worth my while applying :frown:

Here is an excerpt from the email that I received from the director of the foundation centre when I enquired about applying for the course, earlier this year. I hope that this can aid in you making the best decision for your personal circumstances.

'It is for mature, non-traditional students who have not taken the standard A level route or who have a 3 year gap between A level study and applying. Instead of A level qualifications, we are instead looking for aptitude to do well as a medical student and then as a doctor, based on work experience and approach to that experience.

You do not have to take your UKCAT prior to application, however, should you be invited for interview and subsequently be made an offer, that offer would be conditional on you achieving an appropriate score prior to you taking up your place with the Foundation Centre. Applicants need to demonstrate across all the aspects of application - UCAS form, interview and UKCAT that they are eligible. We find that for many applicants the UKCAT is the most difficult, so I would advise that you research this carefully.

The course is based at Durham University, Queen's Campus, which is based in Stockton for the first three years, after which it continues through Newcastle University. Your personal statement will be used to decide whether you are selected for interview. The personal statement should demonstrate your insights into why you are choosing medicine and what it means to be a doctor. We recommend that you have clear evidence of some caring experience. Your reference is also important and you should make sure you use someone who can speak authoritatively about your aptitude to be a medical student and ultimately a doctor. Your UCAS application is used to decide whether to invite you to interview.'
Reply 16
This has helped amazingly! I have contacted them myself via the online forum but haven't received any information yet.

Although I am educated only to GCSE level and have not been employed in the healthcare sector (I work in a bank) I cared for both my terminally ill grandparents til death, single with little by way of support from anyone else. I have been trained in feeding and medicating through a tube in the stomach (PEG). I also volunteer part time for a care home and am on fantastic terms with the head of said home (who I would be using as my reference).

I am hoping things like this may go in my favour.

One thing after another in life since school has meant I haven't been able to take the traditional route to med, but now I can finally commit to it!

Thank you!
Original post by Cmhddk
This has helped amazingly! I have contacted them myself via the online forum but haven't received any information yet.

Although I am educated only to GCSE level and have not been employed in the healthcare sector (I work in a bank) I cared for both my terminally ill grandparents til death, single with little by way of support from anyone else. I have been trained in feeding and medicating through a tube in the stomach (PEG). I also volunteer part time for a care home and am on fantastic terms with the head of said home (who I would be using as my reference).

One thing after another in life since school has meant I haven't been able to take the traditional route to med, but now I can finally commit to it!

Thank you!

I'm glad that I could be of help. All the best with your application.
Original post by Cmhddk

Thank you!

I am a current Medicine with Foundation student at Durham, just wanted to reassure you a little bit. I dont have a levels so it is possible to get in without them :-)

I wouldnt go into too much detail about your grandparents unless they ask why you didnt do this sooner (which is unlikely, its more 'why medicine' than 'why now')

You can use the care home for your 'work experience' its more about showing commitment and caring than specific medical skills as you will be taught these in due course.

Hope this helps
Reply 19
Original post by Louloubelle
I am a current Medicine with Foundation student at Durham, just wanted to reassure you a little bit. I dont have a levels so it is possible to get in without them :-)

I wouldnt go into too much detail about your grandparents unless they ask why you didnt do this sooner (which is unlikely, its more 'why medicine' than 'why now':wink:

You can use the care home for your 'work experience' its more about showing commitment and caring than specific medical skills as you will be taught these in due course.

Hope this helps

Aw thank you!

I'm really struggling with my personal statement that the minute :frown:

It's so difficult to cover everything in such short space. I don't know what to include and what not to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending