The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Congrats! I applied to Loughborough and Lancaster last year, thoroughly enjoyed my visit days there.

Do you have an idea of which will be your firm/insurance?

I have no idea :frown: went to Lancaster on a summer school and loved it but the risk offer of AAB makes me doubt it a bit, Swansea was a really friendly department even if the city itself isn't the best, I went to Aston on a similar visit thing and it wasn't bad, it was the first uni I ever went and looked at so said it looked horrible etc because I was expecting historic buildings, in hindsight it was good. I havnt been to Loughborough or Bangor ( going on an open day tomorrow )
Original post by Icamehereforfunk
Bangor is purely as a result of my location it was between Aberystwyth and Bangor and I thought Bangor looked a little nicer but yeah it is. East Anglia is just too far from family for me

How are cardiff met,bangor,Aberystwyth,and uni of south wales. The counsellor suggested me these along with swansea and cardiff if i wanted to put one for wales.

Problem is only cardiff does not accept my scores. So how are the other ones in terms of location,infrastructure and surrounding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jontyfernz
How are cardiff met,bangor,Aberystwyth,and uni of south wales. The counsellor suggested me these along with swansea and cardiff if i wanted to put one for wales.

Problem is only cardiff does not accept my scores. So how are the other ones in terms of location,infrastructure and surrounding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aberystwyth is really well known for having a strong CS department, especially in the fields of AI/Gaming.

The others aren't really that great tbh, with the exception of maybe Bangor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aberystwyth is really well known for having a strong CS department, especially in the fields of AI/Gaming.

The others aren't really that great tbh, with the exception of maybe Bangor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhk.Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Just got an offer from exeter :smile:
Original post by SSD07
Just got an offer from exeter :smile:

What made you apply for Exeter if you don't mind?
There seems to have literally nothing about their CS department...plus heard uni life isn't great there. I was considering Exeter too but now I don't know :/

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
A2 (Predicted) - Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Physics A
AS (Predicted) - Computing A (Only had the chance to pick this up at the start of yr 13)
AS (Achieved) - Maths A, Further Maths A, Physics B
GCSEs - 6 A*, 5 A, 1 B, 1 C, (Lmao C in PE, B in RE)
Extra Curricular - Peer mentoring, projecteuler.net challenges, UKMT Maths Challenges

Languages - Only intermediate Python

Unis Chosen:
Bath - Computer Science and Mathematics, MComp 5 years with placement
Bristol - Mathematics and Computer Science, MEng 4 years
York - Mathematics and Computer Science, MMath 5 years with placement
Loughborough - Computer Science and Mathematics, MSci 5 years with placement
Exeter - Computer Science and Mathematics, MSci 4 years
*Applying next year*

So reading some of these ive been feeling uneasy. i got 3a* 5a 2b and a c at GCSE and am taking my A* subjects at a level (maths, further maths, geography and ICT) as i knew i wanted to go down the computing/IT route so the ICT gives me breadth and frankly no matter how much computer science students have told me its useless i took it because I enjoy it.

Aiming for A*AAB (my school make us do 4 now) and am doing an extended project based on artificial intelligence, i am passionate about computer science and i do enjoy maths!

The hiccup is my school offer computer science but i wasnt allowed to do it at GCSE because they classed me as an under performer type student (which they told me they was wrong), so i didnt have the confidence to take it alongside further maths at a level.

Could i be disadvantaged for this?

Im trying my best to boost my chances at a place at Bristol or others of high standard by incorporating programming into the practical work in ICT as experience for my personal statement, taking leadership roles in young enterprise, having experience working for my parents with technical help, graphics design etc. Do i REALLY need to teach myself programming languages this Summer? i would love to learn from the university and be trained to how they think is the best, ive read widely that they are not interested about your list of programming languages you claim to be expert at if you cant talk about why they should want to teach you from it.
Original post by emilyp2206
*Applying next year*

So reading some of these ive been feeling uneasy. i got 3a* 5a 2b and a c at GCSE and am taking my A* subjects at a level (maths, further maths, geography and ICT) as i knew i wanted to go down the computing/IT route so the ICT gives me breadth and frankly no matter how much computer science students have told me its useless i took it because I enjoy it.

Aiming for A*AAB (my school make us do 4 now) and am doing an extended project based on artificial intelligence, i am passionate about computer science and i do enjoy maths!

The hiccup is my school offer computer science but i wasnt allowed to do it at GCSE because they classed me as an under performer type student (which they told me they was wrong), so i didnt have the confidence to take it alongside further maths at a level.

Could i be disadvantaged for this?

Im trying my best to boost my chances at a place at Bristol or others of high standard by incorporating programming into the practical work in ICT as experience for my personal statement, taking leadership roles in young enterprise, having experience working for my parents with technical help, graphics design etc. Do i REALLY need to teach myself programming languages this Summer? i would love to learn from the university and be trained to how they think is the best, ive read widely that they are not interested about your list of programming languages you claim to be expert at if you cant talk about why they should want to teach you from it.

No, you don't need CS at A-level.

No, you don't NEED to but I'd recommend at least testing it out. The university's job isn't to teach you programming, it's to teach you the fundamental concepts behind programming such that you can tackle any language you come across. It'll do absolutely 0 harm going onto, say, Codecademy where you can get a nice intro into programming itself via their interactive tutorials. As I said, it's not necessary, but it's very much will help to give you a 'flavour' of the logic behind coding.

Your stats are fine! I'd just focus on smashing any exams you have at the end of the year (I believe Maths is still on the old system), don't stress too much. Maybe do some reading about algorithms and theoretical CS -- I recommend the 'Turing Omnibus' for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you don't need CS at A-level.

No, you don't NEED to but I'd recommend at least testing it out. The university's job isn't to teach you programming, it's to teach you the fundamental concepts behind programming such that you can tackle any language you come across. It'll do absolutely 0 harm going onto, say, Codecademy where you can get a nice intro into programming itself via their interactive tutorials. As I said, it's not necessary, but it's very much will help to give you a 'flavour' of the logic behind coding.

Your stats are fine! I'd just focus on smashing any exams you have at the end of the year (I believe Maths is still on the old system), don't stress too much. Maybe do some reading about algorithms and theoretical CS -- I recommend the 'Turing Omnibus' for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats very encouraging! Its so daunting seeing on here so many people with such good knowledge of programming. I have VB ready to learn as a starter but have not had as much free time as i expected to play with it :frown: Do you recommend any uni's based on the reasonable target of AAAB/AABB (and hopefully an A/A* in EPQ on AI), i compiled a long list but got distracted by royal holloway's beauty :colondollar:

An all my courses are old spec! I feel pretty lucky about that as universities have spoken out about AS being an important part of the application process and i dread to think how maths is going to be in two years time especially with further
Thats very encouraging! Its so daunting seeing on here so many people with such good knowledge of programming. I have VB ready to learn as a starter but have not had as much free time as i expected to play with it :frown: Do you recommend any uni's based on the reasonable target of AAAB/AABB (and hopefully an A/A* in EPQ on AI), i compiled a long list but got distracted by royal holloway's beauty :colondollar:

An all my courses are old spec! I feel pretty lucky about that as universities have spoken out about AS being an important part of the application process and i dread to think how maths is going to be in two years time especially with further

Universities I think are solid for CS:
Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, UCL, Edinburgh, Sheffield, York, Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, KCL, Loughborough

Other good ones:
Durham, St Andrews (these arguably belong in the list above, but I feel like the choice of modules is somewhat restricted at these), Newcastle, Leeds, Surrey, Aberdeen, RHUL, Queen's Belfast, Swansea, Kent, Surrey, Reading

Ah, awesome! You have nothing to worry about then, just get solid grades in your AS exams! :biggrin:
Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, UCL, Edinburgh, Sheffield, York, Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, KCL, Loughborough

Other good ones:
Durham, St Andrews (these arguably belong in the list above, but I feel like the choice of modules is somewhat restricted at these), Newcastle, Leeds, Surrey, Aberdeen, RHUL, Queen's Belfast, Swansea, Kent, Surrey, Reading

Ah, awesome! You have nothing to worry about then, just get solid grades in your AS exams! :biggrin:

I'm looking at Lincoln, Sunderland, Newcastle, Hull and QMU. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other good ones:

What is also great is a fair amount of these i know ^^ offer specializing in Artificial Intelligence eeekkThank you for the recommendations!
Original post by Andy98
I'm looking at Lincoln, Sunderland, Newcastle, Hull and QMU. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live so close to Lincoln, its such a beautiful city and they have made some huge investments recently!
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lincoln's course actually looks decent imo, most universities around that level don't have legitimate CS modules and are very practically bent. Whilst its course has stuff like algorithms, data structures in the first year, and then other strong modules like computer architecture, computer vision, AI in the latter years - definitely a solid course.

Newcastle and QMUL are pretty damn good and I think Hull also has a decent course. Sunderland's looks okish, but lacks a lot of the fundamental stuff and just throws a bunch of languages at you.
What is also great is a fair amount of these i know ^^ offer specializing in Artificial Intelligence eeekkThank you for the recommendations!

Haha, I know, I applied to a fair amount of them last year for that same course :teehee:

I switched gears to Maths and CS/Data Science this year though (I reapplied), which is just perfect for me.
I live so close to Lincoln, its such a beautiful city and they have made some huge investments recently!

I know, I live in Grimsby

Lincoln's course actually looks decent imo, most universities around that level don't have legitimate CS modules and are very practically bent. Whilst its course has stuff like algorithms, data structures in the first year, and then other strong modules like computer architecture, computer vision, AI in the latter years - definitely a solid course.

Newcastle and QMUL are pretty damn good and I think Hull also has a decent course. Sunderland's looks okish, but lacks a lot of the fundamental stuff and just throws a bunch of languages at you.

Yeah, I think with Sunderland it was more a case of it being the first proper open day I went too and the layout looks better than Hull (the building I mean). Unfortunately I missed Newcastle and QMU's open days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, I know, I applied to a fair amount of them last year for that same course :teehee:

I switched gears to Maths and CS/Data Science this year though (I reapplied), which is just perfect for me.

Is there a difference between a Data Science and Maths & CS course? I get the feeling Data Science combines the maths and the CS more?

Also, how did the MAT go? :smile: - are we even allowed to talk about it?
Original post by KingKumar
Is there a difference between a Data Science and Maths & CS course? I get the feeling Data Science combines the maths and the CS more?

Also, how did the MAT go? :smile: - are we even allowed to talk about it?

Yeah, the Data Science courses have a lot of AI, game theory, stats, econ etc in them as well as CS+Maths. The same can be achieved with Maths+CS but it just depends on which modules are available.

It was a train wreck loooooool
Reply 199
I thought the MAT was hard, I struggled quite a lot :/ but the people I was doing it with also found it hard so at least it wasn't just me I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending