The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jontyfernz
People tend to end up in birmingham,Reading or rarely Cardiff(CS graduates) if not London.But i've met some people who were sent overseas for 1-2 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but that is entirely by choice. If you want a job in London, you apply for a job in London.
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, but that is entirely by choice. If you want a job in London, you apply for a job in London.

That is there but they tend to save a lot of money by sending you outside london.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from King's
Computer Science
Original post by avg4all
Got an offer from King's
Computer Science

Congrats :-) !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from Lincoln

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still waiting for uwe bristol and nottingham trent to reply
Reply 386
Received offers from RHUL, Swansea University and Newcastle University. Currently trying to decide which between Swansea University and Newcastle will be firm.

These are the two courses in question:
MSci Computer science with Year in Industry - Swansea (had to link the one without year in industry as it's the only one with the modules listed)
MComp Computer Science with Year in Industry - Newcastle

The way I see it, from visiting the universities on applicant days (and prior engagement through summer university programs at Swansea):

Newcastle
Pros

Best course in terms of breadth and overall skills (based on the learning outcomes and module areas);

BCS Accreditation;

Greater international repute;

No.1 for Research Impact in CS (REF 2014);

Among the top 25 institutions targeted by top graduate employers (High Fliers) also one of the top 25 universities for employment overall;

New purpose built urban science hub opening in 2017 that will house computer science

Russell Group member;

Lecturers and current students I've met are down to earth and easily engaged;

More Opportunities to learn Japanese;

Much better current facilities.

Cons

8 hours away;

Less money;

No friends/family (though I have talked with someone on here that is aiming for Newcastle);

No gaming within university accommodation (extremely important as I use them to unwind and maintain my focus when working on assignments and such);

~£150 for a return ticket home and back;

No familiarity with the area;

Slightly higher offer than Swansea University (D*DD + B in Welsh Baccalaureate).

Swansea
Pros

Don't need to leave the area;

Friends and family in the area with some friends attending the university;

Excellence Scholarship;

Guaranteed Entry (offer of D*DD) with D*D* already obtained;

Moving to the new 'Bay Campus' which will house a purpose built computer science building in 2017 - 2018;

Cheaper alcohol;

Already know some of the lecturers there;

Free laundry, meals and accommodation on weekends at my parents place;

One of the highest employability rates/graduate prospects in the country for CS (Complete University Guide, Unistats);

Dedicated gaming network.

Cons

Not BCS Accredited (yet);

Only recently rose in CS rankings, but is still in the 40s/50s overall;

Less breadth in module options;

Modules that are available are less interesting;

Less international renown;

Less links with top employers;

Less opportunities to learn foreign languages such as Japanese.

What are your thoughts on these guys? seriously struggling to make a decision.
(edited 8 years ago)
But London is expensive thooo. I have offers from both and this is my dilemma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exact same situation as you. Offers from both but don't know what to do :frown: I'm still waiting on Imperial but I doubt they'll even give me an interview.

Keep in mind you could always firm UCL insure Warwick and then decide later?
Original post by WhiteBerry.
Exact same situation as you. Offers from both but don't know what to do :frown: I'm still waiting on Imperial but I doubt they'll even give me an interview.

Keep in mind you could always firm UCL insure Warwick and then decide later?

Lol, no.. They're the same offer, If I get into one I'll have to go. I'm leaning towards Warwick right now but I'll visit both first. Good luck with Imperial!

Merry Christmas as well mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, no.. They're the same offer, If I get into one I'll have to go. I'm leaning towards Warwick right now but I'll visit both first. Good luck with Imperial!

Merry Christmas as well mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick gave you a dual offer didn't they? If you get AAA you get into BSc Comp Sci and you need a 2:1 or higher for the master's anyway: they'll let you go on to do the master's if you get the 2:1. Then, you can contact student finance and the funding will be sorted (assuming youre taking a loan)

That's what a student at Warwick told me who himself did that.

So, essentially there's no point of applying for MEng at Warwick? xD

Merry Christmas broski:biggrin:
Original post by WhiteBerry.
Warwick gave you a dual offer didn't they? If you get AAA you get into BSc Comp Sci and you need a 2:1 or higher for the master's anyway: they'll let you go on to do the master's if you get the 2:1. Then, you can contact student finance and the funding will be sorted (assuming youre taking a loan)

That's what a student at Warwick told me who himself did that.

So, essentially there's no point of applying for MEng at Warwick? xD

Merry Christmas broski:biggrin:

Nah, went for Data Science (based in the school of statistics, taugh jointly with CompSci) mate. My offer is A*AA or AAA + 2 in any STEP. UCL is also A*AA.

So it's either Warwick or UCL as firm, and Bristol (if I got an offer) as an AAA insurance.

Hahaha, cheers man!
Nah, went for Data Science (based in the school of statistics, taugh jointly with CompSci) mate. My offer is A*AA or AAA + 2 in any STEP. UCL is also A*AA.

So it's either Warwick or UCL as firm, and Bristol (if I got an offer) as an AAA insurance.

Hahaha, cheers man!

So if you get a 2:1 from a university like coventry or nottingham trent,does warwick accept you for an msc??

Hahaha, cheers man!

Oh sorry, I don't know why I incorrectly assumed you were going for Comp Sci even though I read all your choices quite some time ago :smile: You gave me advice about Oxbridge and then I ended up not applying. Thanks for the advice though bro :smile:
So if you get a 2:1 from a university like coventry or nottingham trent,does warwick accept you for an msc??

I have no idea I meant if you're already on the undergraduate programme at Warwick

Nah, we're talking about transferring from BSc to MSci whilst at Warwick.

You could possibly get into a standalone Masters with a high 2:1 from those places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, we're talking about transferring from BSc to MSci whilst at Warwick.

You could possibly get into a standalone Masters with a high 2:1 from those places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok.Thanx.
Reply 396
Hello,

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon! I'm predicted BBB in Maths, Physics and Drama & Theatre Studies (don't ask), and I got CCCD (D in Chem) at AS, but I'm resitting most of my modules anyway, haha! I've applied to Kings, Edinburgh, Nottingham, QMUL and Manchester (Foundation Year); and so far have been rejected from KCL, but have offers from Edinburgh and QMUL and I'm yet to hear back from Nottingham and Manchester.
Original post by aureleo
Hello,

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon! I'm predicted BBB in Maths, Physics and Drama & Theatre Studies (don't ask), and I got CCCD (D in Chem) at AS, but I'm resitting most of my modules anyway, haha! I've applied to Kings, Edinburgh, Nottingham, QMUL and Manchester (Foundation Year); and so far have been rejected from KCL, but have offers from Edinburgh and QMUL and I'm yet to hear back from Nottingham and Manchester.

You got rejected from a KCL foundation?
Reply 398
You got rejected from a KCL foundation?

No, I applied for Computer Science BSc at KCL. The only foundation course I applied for was Manchester.
Original post by aureleo
Hello,

Mental.. And I got rejected by Edinburgh with AABBC and AAA predictions last year.. Well done mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending