The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the 5p bag charge in England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrawbAri
Well at home we have a plastic bag full of plastic bags that we recycle so yeah :awesome:

Do you a carrier bag holder haha. Bag inside a bag :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChickenMadness
They should just bring in paper bags like in the US

I've rarely ever seen paper bags used outside small shops like Trader Joes in the East or West coast.

Maybe in "no one cares" Idaho they use them, but certainly not in urban areas.
Original post by stargirl63
You don't sound too poor going on your "several shops" trip. :colonhash:

Original post by CoolCavy
to be fair , people with less money often shop around because in one shop something might be £5 but in another shop the same item might be £3. when you are buying a lot (e.g weekly shop) it adds up and can save a lot of money.

I'll often shop at LIDL for groceries as it's my nearest large supermarket and very cheap. However, it's doesn't have the largest choice, so sometimes I will go to ASDA instead for some groceries that I can't get at LIDL. I also sometimes like to go to The Range or Poundstretchers for some stationery or household stuff that is cheaper than or not available at ASDA. And then if I need new clothes, I'll go to Primark, New Look, ASDA, etc for whatever I need at that time. And I go to WHSmiths for the flip swing folders that I like and don't see anywhere else, as well as some other stationery. I hope you're getting my point here? :p:
It's pathetic, even some of the most down trodden third world countries wouldn't try and charge you for a bag. Just another sign of what such a "first-world country" we apparently have.
Original post by Jebedee
It's pathetic, even some of the most down trodden third world countries wouldn't try and charge you for a bag. Just another sign of what such a "first-world country" we apparently have.

Cause charging people to reduce the use of bags that are environmentally unfriendly obviously makes us more first world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
imagine what you could do/buy with 5p if you didn't have to pay :h:
Original post by Fango_Jett
I've rarely ever seen paper bags used outside small shops like Trader Joes in the East or West coast.

Maybe in "no one cares" Idaho they use them, but certainly not in urban areas.

Whenever I see US media they always use paper grocery bags. I support the idea of introducing paper bags into Britain but I hope they are able to support the weight of heavy items.

An even more productive method would be getting goods delivered direct to home. It would also help reduce the number of stores we need to keep operating. All we'll need is a few corner shops with paper bags for the odd item.
Original post by steeplings
Whenever I see US media they always use paper grocery bags. I support the idea of introducing paper bags into Britain but I hope they are able to support the weight of heavy items.

An even more productive method would be getting goods delivered direct to home. It would also help reduce the number of stores we need to keep operating. All we'll need is a few corner shops with paper bags for the odd item.

I'm not sure what the problem is with using cloth bags or "bags for life" to be entirely honest...
I had a shift at work today and this is the first day I've been in since the charge was introduced (I work in a clothes shop)

I'd say it has definitely made a difference so far and I hope it stays this way. Most customers bring their own bags or put the clothes inside their handbags

But srsly so many customers are complaining saying that it's ridiculous and I feel like I want to shout at them and educate them about the environment and the finite resource of oil
Sadly, I'd probably be fired for doing such a thing but this is me venting my anger :biggrin:
Original post by ChickenMadness
They should just bring in paper bags like in the US

The aim is to reduce the number of bags being used overall. Replacing plastic with paper defeats the purpose because of the amount of trees, fuel etc it takes to make and transport them, yes they are recyclable (which itself uses a lot of energy) but they are certainly not a green option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cybele
The aim is to reduce the number of bags being used overall. Replacing plastic with paper defeats the purpose because of the amount of trees, fuel etc it takes to make and transport them, yes they are recyclable (which itself uses a lot of energy) but they are certainly not a green option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wont kill animals because they degrade over time.
The rules are a little weird (if they are the same as NI).
I work in subway and if you get a warm sub the bag is free, but if you sub is cold you have to pay for the bag 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
The rules are a little weird (if they are the same as NI).
I work in subway and if you get a warm sub the bag is free, but if you sub is cold you have to pay for the bag 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Whenever I've been to Subway in Scotland since the start of the bag charge here, they stopped giving out bags, whether your sub is hot or cold, and if you want one you have to ask for one and get charged 5p for it.

Even McDonalds charge for their paper bags, which seems a bit too far tbh, as I dunno how they expect people to be carrying around bags for greasy takeaway food that will just make them all dirty, but whatever.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Interesting. Whenever I've been to Subway in Scotland since the start of the bag charge here, they stopped giving out bags, whether your sub is hot or cold, and if you want one you have to ask for one and get charged 5p for it.

Even McDonalds charge for their paper bags, which seems a bit too far tbh, as I dunno how they expect people to be carrying around bags for greasy takeaway food that will just make them all dirty, but whatever.

Same as Wales then.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Really?
Over here if you get hot food the bag is always free. I'm not really sure why.
We don't give out bags only if they ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the idea is to make people think more about opting for a plastic bag. An alternative would be to have to walk to the back of the shop to retrieve a limited number of plastic bags after the cashier tells you how many bags you are allowed.
I'm all for this initiative.

Ok, maybe not many will care about the 5p (no Rockefeller here lol) but maybe the shop assistant asking the question will make people stop and think "what's this about then?" and look into the issue. This will raise awareness of the whole issue which all this stems from.

Already people around the country much be looking into it just from it being in the news.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending