The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking up chemistry AS level?

So i recently decided that i want to do biomed at university. after going to the newcastle university open day i fell in love with the place and knew that's where i wanted to go. Unfortunately, to apply for biomed there, you need at least a B at AS chemistry, which i don't have. Is it worth picking up chemistry at AS? I do biology, psychology and history at A level, which are all pretty demanding subjects, and im resitting one biology as exam and one psychology as exam to get my grades up to AAA (i got ABBC at AS level) and so will i have too much going on if i did pick up chemistry? i don't want my overall A level grades to suffer because i put too much work on myself? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.
Original post by JessWheatleyy
So i recently decided that i want to do biomed at university. after going to the newcastle university open day i fell in love with the place and knew that's where i wanted to go. Unfortunately, to apply for biomed there, you need at least a B at AS chemistry, which i don't have. Is it worth picking up chemistry at AS? I do biology, psychology and history at A level, which are all pretty demanding subjects, and im resitting one biology as exam and one psychology as exam to get my grades up to AAA (i got ABBC at AS level) and so will i have too much going on if i did pick up chemistry? i don't want my overall A level grades to suffer because i put too much work on myself? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Chemistry A Level is known for its difficulty, but given its importance and relevance to the course you want to do, then I guess doing it would be fine. But you're already doing quite a lot, 3A2s, and a couple resits !
Original post by JessWheatleyy

I'd say you have 3 main choices if you really want to do biomed.

1. Do AS chemistry this year. You will need determination and time management. It will be very hard, but entirely possible.

2. Do A level chemistry during a gap year. Focus on your current subjects, get the highest possible grades, then stay on for another year to do chem.

3. Apply for a foundation year. I don't know if they do these at Newcastle, they probably do it else where. This is a year at uni to catch you up with the science you need for biomed.
I found AS chemistry quite easy

The questions are quite similar each year so you will get the hang of it if you do past papers and make sure you revise quite early as there is quite a bit of content.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest