The Student Room Group

Good a levels to be an English teacher/journalist?

I'm currently in year eleven and are beginning to think about what a levels I'll be likely to take in college. At the moment I'm thinking about being an English teacher and either secondary school or university level and was wondering which A levels would be the best to take?
Reply 1
I'm currently in year eleven and are beginning to think about what a levels I'll be likely to take in college. At the moment I'm thinking about being a magazine journalist and have done some work experience at the local newspaper. I was wondering which A levels would be the best to take?
Original post by Mollypowell
I'm currently in year eleven and are beginning to think about what a levels I'll be likely to take in college. At the moment I'm thinking about being an English teacher and either secondary school or university level and was wondering which A levels would be the best to take?

Essay based stuff like English, History, Sociology maybe Psychology
Reply 3
Original post by Mollypowell
I'm currently in year eleven and are beginning to think about what a levels I'll be likely to take in college. At the moment I'm thinking about being a magazine journalist and have done some work experience at the local newspaper. I was wondering which A levels would be the best to take?

English Lit, lang, history, ICT or maybe psychology IMO
Reply 4
But why an English teacher ?
Looking to pursue the same (and become an English teacher). I'm currently studying English Literature, Sociology, English Language and Theology and Philosophy.

Just didn't see myself doing other content heavy stuff like History. :|
(edited 8 years ago)
Most people are probably going to say something along thelines of English, History, Media and IT or Graphics. But you must remember ALevels are entrance exams, not stand alone qualifications. As long as you haveONE that leads you to the university course you wish to study, that's all thatmatters and the others will only matter for the points/grades they give you toget your foot in through the door.
So if you're in year 11 and you want to be an Englishteacher, or a journalist, as I did when I was your age, choose a combinationlike English, Geography, Biology and Maths. Trust me, you want to keep youroptions open.

Quick Reply

Latest