The Student Room Group

Does sixth form school matter?

Does the sixth form school/college you go to matter? I've heard a levels is mostly self-taught and that if a teacher is horrendous I can just sit at the back and do my own revision and just self-learn from a textbook. Therefore, should I just go to the closest sixth form? I personally do not see myself struggling with understanding A level content and just need to learn content mainly, but teachers r always available break and lunch.
Original post by ismaelishere
Does the sixth form school/college you go to matter? I've heard a levels is mostly self-taught and that if a teacher is horrendous I can just sit at the back and do my own revision and just self-learn from a textbook. Therefore, should I just go to the closest sixth form? I personally do not see myself struggling with understanding A level content and just need to learn content mainly, but teachers r always available break and lunch.
The sixth form/college you go to does make a difference, and you can't just sit at the back and self learn - lesson time is very important and the teacher definitely makes a difference. Textbooks don't necessarily have all detail you need either. The content is not the only thing though because you will need to learn exam technique - which a textbook can't really do.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
The sixth form/college you go to does make a difference, and you can't just sit at the back and self learn - lesson time is very important and the teacher definitely makes a difference. Textbooks don't necessarily have all detail you need either. The content is not the only thing though because you will need to learn exam technique - which a textbook can't really do.
well i wasnt thinking JUST textbook, but i feel like me personally if i read the textbook and then bang out a bunch of past papers on that topic (im picking sciences btw) then i will learn the topic, improve exam technique from past papers, and have less work outside of lesson time. and if i dont understand something i will just ask, i feel like its better than listening to teach waffle a ton and not get the point. im learning to pass the exam, not to learn abt the topic as a whole. also i am thinking abt taking english lit, which the education at my current school for english is VERY good, whereas the science is mediocre. i feel like good teacher for english is more important than science.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ismaelishere
well i wasnt thinking JUST textbook, but i feel like me personally if i read the textbook and then bang out a bunch of past papers on that topic (im picking sciences btw) then i will learn the topic, improve exam technique from past papers, and have less work outside of lesson time. and if i dont understand something i will just ask, i feel like its better than listening to teach waffle a ton and not get the point. im learning to pass the exam, not to learn abt the topic as a whole. also i am thinking abt taking english lit, which the education at my current school for english is VERY good, whereas the science is mediocre. i feel like good teacher for english is more important than science.
A good teacher for science is important. I do A-level biology, and the concepts are much more complicated than at GCSE, so I would pick based on a college/sixth form that is good for science. There is also the practical endorsement which most universities require you to pass as well, and teachers can be quite useful for that. I know for biology, if my teachers weren't as good then I wouldn't be doing as well as I am at the moment.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
A good teacher for science is important. I do A-level biology, and the concepts are much more complicated than at GCSE, so I would pick based on a college/sixth form that is good for science. There is also the practical endorsement which most universities require you to pass as well, and teachers can be quite useful for that. I know for biology, if my teachers weren't as good then I wouldn't be doing as well as I am at the moment.
ye thats true. its prolly the biggest vio anyway to pull up a freesciencelessons vid in the middle of a lesson lol, like full on ignoring them, earphones in and everything. that would acc break me if i was a teacher.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending