The Student Room Group

I rejected a girl because she's fat. AMA

She came onto me at Uni today. It was after our seminar, she came up to me and asked me out.

I told her that she's so nice, but I'm dating someone already (lie).

It's because she's really fat. It was embarrassing.

Was this bad?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. It's quite common I imagine. It's good that you at least lied to her like that rather than just bluntly saying you weren't interested.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Nope. It's quite common I imagine. It's good that you at least lied to her like that rather than just bluntly saying you weren't interested.

Nah. Best to be straight up and tell them the truth. Perhaps it would spur a positive change.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Nah. Best to be straight up and tell them the truth. Perhaps it would spur a positive change.

I highly highly doubt that sir. Fat people know they are fat. Telling them they're fat is only going to make them even more pissed about it and life in general which in turn will make them more likely to get fatter.
When you say fat, how fat are we talking?
Reply 5
Original post by RainbowKiwi
When you say fat, how fat are we talking?

187lbs maybe. She's 5"8
Original post by Anonymous
She came onto me at Uni today. It was after our seminar, she came up to me and asked me out.

Was this bad?

Nope. You were perfectly within your rights to reject someone based on physical features that you don't deem attractive. You will have people come on here calling you shallow and all this bull**** but at the end of the day everyone has preferences!
Looks matter the most,I would say matter ALL. So OP you're right, don't listen to hypocrites here who will say you're shallow and that 'love' exists and other BS. Facts matter and they do the same(or they WOULD do the same if they weren't ugly)
I couldn't imagine myself with a fat man either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because idiots(some also on TSR) told them that 'looks don't matter much' and that they can be 'loved' no matter what they look like. LOL, then they wake up when they get refuse after refuse :biggrin:
Reply 10
So of course you can find not attractive what you find not attractive and choose whether you say yes or no when someone asks you out. Dating is widely accepted as a mutually consensual activity. So this aspect is not "wrong" as I presume you might grasp anyway.

What is questionable is a desire to make an (anonymous) AMA post on this topic. Also that you, and many of your supposedly intelligent cohort, take a very simplistic and unpleasant view of being "fat". If you choose to read and reflect a bit more you might learn and become a better person.
(edited 8 years ago)
you made the right decision
Original post by Anonymous

Was this bad?

Absolutely disgusting. It seems people have something against fat people in today's society.
Original post by InternetGangster
Absolutely disgusting. It seems people have something against fat people in today's society.

It's not being fat that's the problem.
If a person is overweight and they're happy with themselves despite the health implications, then they can do as they like as long as it doesn't effect me. :smile:

However...
1. If you get so overweight that you're unable to work and you stay at home all day living on benefits and excessive amounts of food... I'm probably going to judge you, especially if your weight is entirely your fault.
2. Don't complain about being overweight if you don't have the willpower to do something about it. Don't wish to be slimmer and then proceed to order two large burgers at the nearest restaurant. It's frustrating.
3. Don't mention "thin privilege" and/or "fat acceptance".

You have the right to turn someone down based on their weight; it's part of a person's appearance, just like piercings or hair colour. Everyone has they're own preference and it's far better to be honest than to lead someone on.
That said, there's a difference between being truthful and being unnecessarily mean.
In the end, a person's a person no matter how much they weigh. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AbsoluteAnarchy
It's not being fat that's the problem.
If a person is overweight and they're happy with themselves despite the health implications, then they can do as they like as long as it doesn't effect me. :smile:

However...
1. If you get so overweight that you're unable to work and you stay at home all day living on benefits and excessive amounts of food... I'm probably going to judge you, especially if your weight is entirely your fault.
2. Don't complain to me about being overweight if you don't have the willpower to do something about it. Don't wish to be slimmer and then proceed to order two large burgers at the nearest restaurant. It's frustrating.
3. Don't mention "thin privilege" and/or "fat acceptance". Ever.

You have the right to turn someone down based on their weight; it's part of a person's appearance, just like piercings or hair colour. Everyone has they're own preference and it's far better to be honest than to lead someone on.
That said, there's a difference between being truthful and being unnecessarily mean.
In the end, a person's a person no matter how much they weigh.

That's unbelievably shallow. Go back to shallowland, cause where I'm at it's way too deep. :own3d::stink:
I would've done the same thing. There's nothing shallow about rejecting someone who you don't find attractive and there's nothing attractive about rolls upon rolls.
Reply 16
i don't understand these people like "you should love her anyway! it's about what's on the inside"

yeah well i'm not gonna wake up to see what's on the inside every morning now am I? I wanna see some eye-candy and raise that blood glucose level, don't wanna be sleeping next to a barrel

sorray if you can't handle the TRUF :tongue:
Original post by z33
i don't understand these people like "you should love her anyway! it's about what's on the inside"

yeah well i'm not gonna wake up to see what's on the inside every morning now am I? I wanna see some eye-candy and raise that blood glucose level, don't wanna be sleeping next to a barrel

sorray if you can't handle the TRUF :tongue:

If you don't find her attractive, keep it to yourself. It just angers me when people like you label others as "barrels", whilst thinking that they are on some form of superior level. I'd reject the eye candy with a present criminal record of murder. Not attractive.

Original post by InternetGangster

Although he did have the right to turn down the offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If you don't find her attractive, keep it to yourself. It just angers me when people like you label others as "barrels", whilst thinking that they are on some form of superior level. I'd reject the eye candy with a present criminal record of murder. Not attractive.

Although he did have the right to turn down the offer.

No. He didn't.
It's the truth.

Appearance is just as important as personality when it comes to dating.
Allow me to explain; if you plan on having a romantic relationship with a person, there is a high chance that physical intimacy will be involved (unless you're asexual).
It's extremely difficult to have sexual relations with someone who doesn't appeal to you physically.

This is why it's better to let people down gently if they don't suit your taste; otherwise you risk being trapped in a relationship of lies and toying with your partner's feelings.

Don't get me wrong, a good personality is essential, but taking care of yourself on the outside matters as well.
If you're feeling insecure about your appearance for whatever reason, my advice would be to improve yourself. Try not to rely on the whole "it's what's inside that counts" fairytale; in reality, a person judges you on sight.
Then, if they like what they see, they make an effort to get to know you on a personal level as well.

Both boxes must be ticked.

Quick Reply

Latest