Coventry

Applying for Eco

A level I.T- Grade A
A level Economics- Grade B
A level Law Grade -C
AS level Product Design- Grade A
AS Level Maths- grade B
Predicted A level Maths grade A*
Im currently taking a Gap year and i have a chartered Accountancy internship lasting 6 months. I've had work exp at PriceWaterhouse Coopers as well.
I am also resitting Economics to get a grade A and i picked up Maths during A2's and thus im completing it during my gap year and im predicted A* in it.

What are my chances of getting into Warwick Economics considering i get A* in maths and A in eco?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Unknow_n123
A level I.T- Grade A
A level Economics- Grade B
A level Law Grade -C
AS level Product Design- Grade A
AS Level Maths- grade B
Predicted A level Maths grade A*
Im currently taking a Gap year and i have a chartered Accountancy internship lasting 6 months. I've had work exp at PriceWaterhouse Coopers as well.
I am also resitting Economics to get a grade A and i picked up Maths during A2's and thus im completing it during my gap year and im predicted A* in it.

What are my chances of getting into Warwick Economics considering i get A* in maths and A in eco?

You will get in bro dw :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
You could give it a shot but honestly its very unlikely unless you write an incredible PS. Warwick for economics are very very very competitive due to their sheer reputation to worlds top employers and their incredible Math's department they attract the best of the best.
Btw why didn't you do maths in your first year if you were gonna apply for economics at top unis?
Reply 3
Original post by Panama10
You could give it a shot but honestly its very unlikely unless you write an incredible PS. Warwick for economics are very very very competitive due to their sheer reputation to worlds top employers and their incredible Math's department they attract the best of the best.
Btw why didn't you do maths in your first year if you were gonna apply for economics at top unis?

Do you even lift?
Reply 4
Well it will be spectacularly unlikely for you to get an offer as they mostly prefer students who spend 2 years doing A levels and they have very high standards especially for maths (please dont be fooled with the fact that they want an A in maths for economics they just do it to attract more applicants on ucas 99% of their applicants get an A* offer) they are also extremely competitve for economics as i have known several people attending oxbridge who were rejected by warwick and half the guy there have econ offers from LSE or UCL this shows the calibre of their students!, im sorry for being blunt but it's true.
But that doesnt mean you shouldn't give it a go make sure your personal statement is ace and you never know, i know a guy who got AAB and got into warwick for economics but that was in 2009.
Anyway goodluck!
Reply 5
Original post by Panama10

Ah i wasn't even sure what i was gonna do with my life hence why i chose rubbish subjects. But then i understood how important maths was in life lol.
Reply 6
Original post by INF10
Well it will be spectacularly unlikely for you to get an offer as they mostly prefer students who spend 2 years doing A levels and they have very high standards especially for maths (please dont be fooled with the fact that they want an A in maths for economics they just do it to attract more applicants on ucas 99% of their applicants get an A* offer) they are also extremely competitve for economics as i have known several people attending oxbridge who were rejected by warwick and half the guy there have econ offers from LSE or UCL this shows the calibre of their students!, im sorry for being blunt but it's true.
But that doesnt mean you shouldn't give it a go make sure your personal statement is ace and you never know, i know a guy who got AAB and got into warwick for economics but that was in 2009.
Anyway goodluck!

Yh thats true and yh i dont want stuff like dw you can get in. Thanks for that. ill try do the best i can with my PS its a long shot but who knows lol
Reply 7
Yh thats true and yh i dont want stuff like dw you can get in. Thanks for that. ill try do the best i can with my PS its a long shot but who knows lol

yhyh goodluck! I remember warwick was my firm for economics and maths even doe i got A*A*A* but i got rejected because of underperforming in STEP but i got into LSE (thank **** they dont ask for STEP lol)
Reply 8
Well everyone has a shot I personally think ur grades are good but good enough to make the cut for warwick? Well your gonna have to find out yourself but warwick are very hard to get into for economics (they even have a flippin field medalist who made a contribution to stochastic calculas lol) so if you do make it you will be rubbing shoulders with the best of the best! the best advice i can give you is write a great PS if you dont make it dont worry there are plenty of other universities that are great for economics. For the most competitve jobs Oxbridge Warwick Lse and imperial dominate but thats only if you want to go into consulting, banking or law apart from that university reputation doesnt matter as much as you might think.
Reply 9
the problem with warwick for economics is that it has a lot of WMI(Warwick Maths Institue) modules and trust me getting into that place is HARD AS NAILS their maths deputy makes stands toe to toe with oxbridge and makes every other maths department look like a joke so obviously they are going to be very picky when they choose students but that being said i think its fantastic that your doing the accounting work make sure to use this experience to display your mathematical knowledge on your PS and then achieve an A* in maths, there is definately hope so dont worry and if not warwick there are plenty of other unis that are below the (oxbridge lse warwick) threshold but are great universities noone the less and plus may i ask what GCSEs you got i think lately warwick have been picky about GCSEs
Original post by Timber99
the problem with warwick for economics is that it has a lot of WMI(Warwick Maths Institue) modules and trust me getting into that place is HARD AS NAILS their maths deputy makes stands toe to toe with oxbridge and makes every other maths department look like a joke so obviously they are going to be very picky when they choose students but that being said i think its fantastic that your doing the accounting work make sure to use this experience to display your mathematical knowledge on your PS and then achieve an A* in maths, there is definately hope so dont worry and if not warwick there are plenty of other unis that are below the (oxbridge lse warwick) threshold but are great universities noone the less and plus may i ask what GCSEs you got i think lately warwick have been picky about GCSEs

Yhyh WMI is even considered better than London met for maths
Original post by Timber99

I have 7A's and 5B's and a C for GCSE. Probably not the best of grades
OP this will be a long shot but worth a try. Warwick are very selective especially for economics/maths but i think if you write a solid PS i cant see why they shouldnt give you a chance. Btw how many WMI modules are you planning to take if you get in? They are very quantative and you need a solid mathematical background for them (which shouldnt surprise you since warwicks maths department is one of the very best in the world) so its obviously going to be tough. I am also applying for economics but im not going to apply for warwick/lse since these universities are way too picky and my grades arent the best (i got ABBB in maths, physics, further maths and politics respectively) but make sure to keep me informed about what happens with your application!
Original post by Penner1990
OP this will be a long shot but worth a try. Warwick are very selective especially for economics/maths but i think if you write a solid PS i cant see why they shouldnt give you a chance. Btw how many WMI modules are you planning to take if you get in? They are very quantative and you need a solid mathematical background for them (which shouldnt surprise you since warwicks maths department is one of the very best in the world) so its obviously going to be tough. I am also applying for economics but im not going to apply for warwick/lse since these universities are way too picky and my grades arent the best (i got ABBB in maths, physics, further maths and politics respectively) but make sure to keep me informed about what happens with your application!

ABBB isnt that bad? Was that for A2 or for AS? And tbh i dont even know many many WMI modules ill do. Im more concentrated on writing an exceptional PS. Yh sure will do, wish me luck
ABBB isnt that bad? Was that for A2 or for AS? And tbh i dont even know many many WMI modules ill do. Im more concentrated on writing an exceptional PS. Yh sure will do, wish me luck

Yhyh its my AS grades but warwick have A* students applying all across the board and the competition for any mathematical course there is through the roof as their mathematical department is insane so im not going to risk it. I will be applying to UCL Kings Queenmary Bristol and SOAS.
I just wanted to go warwick as they are incredible for employment prospects (they were named the most targeted university by top employers 2 years in a row) and QS ranked them 7th most targeted university in the world now thats very impressive. Plus i want to go into consulting and attending a top university is essential so im hoping i get into UCL atleast btw what universities are you applying to?
Im a bit late on this thread but please read up. OP i appreciate that you want to be part of a elite institution for economics but please as yourself the following questions. Lets say you do make it to warwick for economics, do you think you will have what it takes to keep up dont get me wrong your probably a clever guy (ur grades are good) but economics is all maths and when it comes to maths warwick comes into its own. The intensity of research conducted at the WMI is second to one. Most academics would agree that not only its the best maths department in this country its also one of the absolute best on the face of this earth. One MIT professor even predicted them to become the best maths department in the world by 2025. The international rankings are false as they rank warwick low for maths (as its a new university and it had few citations per faculty) but to give you an idea. Once for a maths project stanford and caltech sent their students to WMI and these students struggled massively with the content at warwick and these were supposedly one of the brightest kids at their university. This really puts things into perspective as getting in isnt the hardest part but would you be able to keep up as there is no point ending up failing at a elite institution. So just ask yourself honestly.
Thanks
Original post by Penner1990
Yhyh its my AS grades but warwick have A* students applying all across the board and the competition for any mathematical course there is through the roof as their mathematical department is insane so im not going to risk it. I will be applying to UCL Kings Queenmary Bristol and SOAS.
I just wanted to go warwick as they are incredible for employment prospects (they were named the most targeted university by top employers 2 years in a row) and QS ranked them 7th most targeted university in the world now thats very impressive. Plus i want to go into consulting and attending a top university is essential so im hoping i get into UCL atleast btw what universities are you applying to?

Well Warwick is looking like a longshot but warwick, bristol (contextual offer), KIngs, Queen Mary and maybe SOAS
Original post by MathsMaster45
Im a bit late on this thread but please read up. OP i appreciate that you want to be part of a elite institution for economics but please as yourself the following questions. Lets say you do make it to warwick for economics, do you think you will have what it takes to keep up dont get me wrong your probably a clever guy (ur grades are good) but economics is all maths and when it comes to maths warwick comes into its own. The intensity of research conducted at the WMI is second to one. Most academics would agree that not only its the best maths department in this country its also one of the absolute best on the face of this earth. One MIT professor even predicted them to become the best maths department in the world by 2025. The international rankings are false as they rank warwick low for maths (as its a new university and it had few citations per faculty) but to give you an idea. Once for a maths project stanford and caltech sent their students to WMI and these students struggled massively with the content at warwick and these were supposedly one of the brightest kids at their university. This really puts things into perspective as getting in isnt the hardest part but would you be able to keep up as there is no point ending up failing at a elite institution. So just ask yourself honestly.
Thanks

Yh i have read about them being the best in the world by 2025 and i know they have the best maths dept in the country. Blunt answer but i suppose your right. What do you do?
Yh i have read about them being the best in the world by 2025 and i know they have the best maths dept in the country. Blunt answer but i suppose your right. What do you do?

Yes im sorry for my blunt answer im just trying to help you, im sure your clever im just warning you of the road ahead if you do make it. If you get an offer go for it but be careful and work your butt off since day 1 Warwick do not play games!
I am a 2nd year Maths student at imperial college London rejected from both Cambridge and Warwick due to underperformance at STEP but imperial is probably the best for maths after your typical Warwick and Oxbridge I might try transferring to Warwick for maths but that will be tough as 5 guys in our year tried it (they were all working on a 1st!) all of them failed the ridiculously hard test conducted by WMI.
Did you know Warwick have a field medallist teaching, in the term holidays we actually invited him to imperial but he rejected our invitation and went to MIT instead lol.
Original post by MathsMaster45
Yes im sorry for my blunt answer im just trying to help you, im sure your clever im just warning you of the road ahead if you do make it. If you get an offer go for it but be careful and work your butt off since day 1 Warwick do not play games!
I am a 2nd year Maths student at imperial college London rejected from both Cambridge and Warwick due to underperformance at STEP but imperial is probably the best for maths after your typical Warwick and Oxbridge I might try transferring to Warwick for maths but that will be tough as 5 guys in our year tried it (they were all working on a 1st!) all of them failed the ridiculously hard test conducted by WMI.
Did you know Warwick have a field medallist teaching, in the term holidays we actually invited him to imperial but he rejected our invitation and went to MIT instead lol.

Lol dont mind the bluntless and oh wow maths at imperial thats wicked man!! ANd yh its like a long shot like i said but who knows. Its worth trying to transfer atleast? give it a chance you never know but even if you dont your still doing maths at imperial which is amazing in itself.

Quick Reply

Latest