The Student Room Group
University of York
York

PPE at York

Hello everyone

I am looking for an advice. I got an offer for PPE at the University of York. Please, anyone with a similar offer or anyone doing ppe in York or anyone doing anything else in York, tell me if it is worth going there. Stuff concerning the school, accommodation, people, teachers and so on. I am a foreigner, from the Czech Republic and I would like to hear your opinions so that I can make up my mind. Thx a lot:smile:
Reply 1
Well I'm not going for PPE, but from what I've heard, York's PPE is second only to Oxford's. The department has very high teaching standards as far as I know. Accommodation information can be found on the York website, although I didn't find the halls of residence particularly inspiring at the open day.
University of York
York
Reply 2
AFAIK PPE @ York is rated on par with durham but below Oxford (1st) and Warwick (2nd)...even more so if you include LSEs course: Econ + Gov (+modules in phil) / Econ + Phil (+ modules in Politics).

other than that its a top school
Reply 3
I'd say it's definitely rated higher than Durham's, in part because Durham's Politics and Economics departments only got a 4 (Philosophy there got a 5) in the latest UK research ratings compared with 5 for all three at York. Also, York's PPE programme(s) have been operating for much longer than Durham's. I most definitely consider PPE at York on par with Warwick's, but better than Durham's.

Rasmus
Reply 4
abrp
AFAIK PPE @ York is rated on par with durham but below Oxford (1st) and Warwick (2nd)...even more so if you include LSEs course: Econ + Gov (+modules in phil) / Econ + Phil (+ modules in Politics).

other than that its a top school

:ditto: I agree with abrp, it also depends on what your favourite area is. If you love Politics then York or Warwick, if you like Economics then Warwick and Im not totally sure about Philosophy. Anyway, basically York is really good!
Reply 5
Alex_K
Well I'm not going for PPE, but from what I've heard, York's PPE is second only to Oxford's. The department has very high teaching standards as far as I know. Accommodation information can be found on the York website, although I didn't find the halls of residence particularly inspiring at the open day.

Part of the school of PPE first yr. def. can say I agree with this comment. PPE program is flexible, accounted for and is rated very well in all its departments.
I DO PPE AT YORK PICK ME PICK ME I CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!!!!

It's very flexible, you can chose all your modules in the 2nd and 3rd years and there are a lot to chose from. They let you drop and switch modules without giving a lot of notice and it's quite rare for you not to be able to do the option you want to pick. It would only happen if 1 module is very over-subscribed and even then they will let you if you make enough of a fuss and claim that you're very passionate and it's the end of the world and you will die if you can't do that module blah blah blah..

There's czech guy in our year doing PPE. He's pretty cool. Actually there are quite a lot of people from european countries doing PPE now I think about it.

Lots of people on the course seem to really like the course and feel passionately about it. I really haven't noticed this in other departments.

You can do interdisciplinary modules which mix the subjects, for example I will be doing 'Justice, Morality and Economics' (it's called something like that anyway) which merges philosophy and economics together into 1. I don't think any other universities do that.

If you think you're smart enough then pick Oxford because it'll look better on the CV. Other than Oxford though I would recommend York over any other university (warwick, durham specifically).
Reply 7
Vampyrcorn
I DO PPE AT YORK PICK ME PICK ME I CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!!!!

It's very flexible, you can chose all your modules in the 2nd and 3rd years and there are a lot to chose from. They let you drop and switch modules without giving a lot of notice and it's quite rare for you not to be able to do the option you want to pick. It would only happen if 1 module is very over-subscribed and even then they will let you if you make enough of a fuss and claim that you're very passionate and it's the end of the world and you will die if you can't do that module blah blah blah..

There's czech guy in our year doing PPE. He's pretty cool. Actually there are quite a lot of people from european countries doing PPE now I think about it.

Lots of people on the course seem to really like the course and feel passionately about it. I really haven't noticed this in other departments.

You can do interdisciplinary modules which mix the subjects, for example I will be doing 'Justice, Morality and Economics' (it's called something like that anyway) which merges philosophy and economics together into 1. I don't think any other universities do that.

If you think you're smart enough then pick Oxford because it'll look better on the CV. Other than Oxford though I would recommend York over any other university (warwick, durham specifically).

Cheers vampy, you made me feel extra good about choosing york :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending