The Student Room Group

Police Now Graduate Scheme 2016

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has applied for the scheme? :smile: I've completed the situational judgement test and am waiting to hear back!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by glitterhive
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has applied for the scheme? :smile: I've completed the situational judgment test and am waiting to hear back!

Ditto. Was the career what you wanted to get into before the scheme started?
Sort of! I studied law at uni and originally wanted to become a solicitor, but I've always loved the idea of working for the police and it was always the criminal side of the law that I found interesting. Yourself?

Hey, is that the same as the graduate fast-track programme (Constable to Inspector)? I myself want to do law at university and had second thoughts about joining police, but the whole thing of serving as a constable for at least 2 years was a bit deterring, as dealing with drunk chavs isn't the most pleasant and rewarding role.
Reply 3
Sort of! I studied law at uni and originally wanted to become a solicitor, but I've always loved the idea of working for the police and it was always the criminal side of the law that I found interesting. Yourself?

Yeah same here. I work as a volunteer atm and this is not a job that you do for the sake of being a job. You really need to have the values of wanting to do it to actually be happy with it.

Original post by 0123456543210
Hey, is that the same as the graduate fast-track programme (Constable to Inspector)? I myself want to do law at university and had second thoughts about joining police, but the whole thing of serving as a constable for at least 2 years was a bit deterring, as dealing with drunk chavs isn't the most pleasant and rewarding role.

If you are not happy to be a Constable then do not waste your time with wanting to be an Inspector. An inspector can still deal with the situation you outlined. It is a skill and experienced based role so only being happy with a fast track will most likely lead into an unhappy career.

I appreciate that this may sound disappointing but as someone who has seen the job firsthand it is best to give honest advice.
Reply 4
Original post by MSI_10
Yeah same here. I work as a volunteer atm and this is not a job that you do for the sake of being a job. You really need to have the values of wanting to do it to actually be happy with it

Definitely, I think some people just apply because they think it sounds interesting/they don't know what else to do and see that it's only a 2 year programme. How are you finding being a volunteer?
Reply 5
Original post by 0123456543210

Nope, it's just the normal grad programme :smile:. For the constable to inspector programme you need to have done the CKP, which I haven't. I want to become an inspector too and also had some reservations, but being out on the beat is the only way you're going to get a real flavour of policing. If you really want to become an inspector, then it's just something that you have to do. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried, but I actually think it's exciting, albeit challenging. Arguably you'd be dealing with much worse as an inspector compared to a constable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Definitely, I think some people just apply because they think it sounds interesting/they don't know what else to do and see that it's only a 2 year programme. How are you finding being a volunteer?

Yeah that sounds spot on. I hope the scheme attracts the right people into the career because having a realistic idea of what it is like is soooo important. I also understand that they are individuals who really want to do the job but find they don't like it later on. That's completely understandable so the best thing about this grad scheme is that it allows a change of career if someone changes their mind. I also believe that overtime it will create a better positive image of the Police. There are too many students who think ''Why do X degree if you are going into Police'' etc which I have faced and still shake my head at
Reply 7
Original post by MSI_10
Yeah that sounds spot on. I hope the scheme attracts the right people into the career because having a realistic idea of what it is like is soooo important. I also understand that they are individuals who really want to do the job but find they don't like it later on. That's completely understandable so the best thing about this grad scheme is that it allows a change of career if someone changes their mind. I also believe that overtime it will create a better positive image of the Police. There are too many students who think ''Why do X degree if you are going into Police'' etc which I have faced and still shake my head at

I'm sure it will! I reckon those who aren't so committed will be filtered out at interview. You're right about the degree thing too, I don't know why some people think that it's a waste of time to do degrees other than criminology/sociology if you want to join the police.
Reply 8
Hi,

I applied :smile: More in hope than expectation.

A little part of me wants to do the "normal route" but i think the scheme is too good not to try.

I really hope if unsuccessful at any stage it doesn't mean I/we can't apply for Constable vacancies 6 months. That would be so frustrating.
I wonder how competitive it'll be? I imagine very but then again not sure it can be much more competitive than the "normal route".

Yeah and as had said above, as an Inspector you should be willing to deal with any situation, be able to show an example. "chavs" deserve a decent police service too.
Reply 9
Original post by djj
Hi,

A little part of me wants to do the "normal route" but i think the scheme is too good not to try.

I really hope if unsuccessful at any stage it doesn't mean I/we can't apply for Constable vacancies 6 months. That would be so frustrating.
I wonder how competitive it'll be? I imagine very but then again not sure it can be much more competitive than the "normal route".

Yeah and as had said above, as an Inspector you should be willing to deal with any situation, be able to show an example. "chavs" deserve a decent police service too.

Hi! I'm not sure what happens if we're unsuccessful either. You're right though, it would be really annoying if we have to wait a whole year to apply again without going down the grad scheme.

I reckon it'll be pretty competitive, especially because they've got more forces involved in the scheme and it's being advertised a lot more than last year.
Reply 10
Original post by djj
Hi,

I asked about that and they do allow dual applications, the process is completely different to standard so do not worry. There actually isn't much difference at all between this grad scheme and standard entry! Just the training and the company connections but one could argue working in response via the standard entry is more appealing.
Did anybody get a phone call today about their application?
Reply 12
No phone call for me either! And yeah MSI. Suppose is swings and roundabouts, I volunteer with the police too. As you probably know Response isn't as glamorous as some may think :tongue:

I've emailed a few forces to see if than have any issues with dual applications because it isn't search, so hopefully they'll confirm what police now have said to you (and to me too) :smile:

Don't want to be too negative but statistically I don't fancy my chances
(edited 8 years ago)
I just had a voicemail message saying they had wanted to ask for more information regarding my application. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing :s . Just out of interest are you guys all undergrads and what kind of experience do you guys have?
Reply 14
Hi! I'm not sure what happens if we're unsuccessful either. You're right though, it would be really annoying if we have to wait a whole year to apply again without going down the grad scheme.

I reckon it'll be pretty competitive, especially because they've got more forces involved in the scheme and it's being advertised a lot more than last year.

Best of luck with your application. I was very pleasantly surprised to see other forces in it but i think you're right it'll make it harder. Would be surprised if somewhere like Surrey is taking just 1 or 2 recruits as well.
Original post by Chumpychump
I just had a voicemail message saying they had wanted to ask for more information regarding my application. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing :s . Just out of interest are you guys all undergrads and what kind of experience do you guys have?

Hopefully it's a good thing! I don't think they'd be asking for more information if they weren't interested in inviting you to the next stage of the process. I graduated in July, and I don't have any policing experience if that's what you meant. Yourself?

Original post by djj
Best of luck with your application. I was very pleasantly surprised to see other forces in it but i think you're right it'll make it harder. Would be surprised if somewhere like Surrey is taking just 1 or 2 recruits as well.

Thank you; you too! What force are you hoping to get into?
Reply 16

I finished uni in June (not actually graduated yet). I'm a Special, don't think police experience will help the application though. I'd like to think it'd make training a bit less intense though.

I'm just speculating but usually when I've had calls like that it's to clear something up, e.g do you drive, when are you free ext ext. Maybe for example you've missed an A level in your education section or you've selected the met as a option but don't live in London.

& I've put down west mid & Northampton. Think west midlands would be really interesting place to police. Lots going on. Heard very good things about Northampton though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, just to say all they were asking was that I resend my degree certificate :smile: out of interest what did you answer in the sjt?
Reply 18
Hey guys, just to say all they were asking was that I resend my degree certificate :smile: out of interest what did you answer in the sjt?

We are not allowed the discuss the sjt; what if someone who hasn't done it yet comes across this thread haha

2 weeks since application; I really want an update!
Original post by MSI_10
We are not allowed the discuss the sjt; what if someone who hasn't done it yet comes across this thread haha

2 weeks since application; I really want an update!

If the deadline for applications is 9th November, surely we have to hear from them soon? Especially because we're supposed to have a video interview before progressing to the assessment centre.

Quick Reply

Latest