The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hardly contemporary is it though? :p:

About Ian McEwan: I've read Atonement and Enduring Love and I did quite enjoy them. Well Atonement anyway. The first chapter of Enduring Love is really good but it does go a bit downhill from there. Martin Amis is complete BS though. Tried to read Money but failed. Have come to the conclusion that his work is unreadable crap.
miss_world
Hardly contemporary is it though? :p:

Oh yes.:wink: didn't read that.
Reply 22
Faith In Chaos
Dan Brown!

Most definately unfortunately. I mean they're fairly good books, but not worth the hype.
Reply 23
ukebert
Most definately unfortunately. I mean they're fairly good books, but not worth the hype.

I have to agree. I did like the books when I read them but I do not think that they in any way justified the amount of hype that they received.
Phillip
Oh come on, Brown isn't trying to be a great writer, his books are thrillers.

Yeah but considering the money that has been made from them, and the fact that they are (of course only in my opinion) mediocre at best, then I think it is a fair comment!
Reply 25
^^ Especially since in interviews he makes himself out to be The Writer, in his Study, Thinking his Brilliant Thoughts. He desperately wants to be seen as a great writer.
Oh, I do like Zadie Smith - well, I like White Teeth, the only one I've read. It is probably too long, but I found it really interesting and well-written.

I have to agree with Ian McEwan - I got hold of a copy of Atonement because I'd heard it was good, but I can't get past the first few pages. I'll probably give it another try, but I doubt I'll like it much.

I think that Chuck Palahnuik is hopelessly overrated. I don't even know where to start with him, ugh.
charlygrrl
Oh, I do like Zadie Smith - well, I like White Teeth, the only one I've read. It is probably too long, but I found it really interesting and well-written.

I have to agree with Ian McEwan - I got hold of a copy of Atonement because I'd heard it was good, but I can't get past the first few pages. I'll probably give it another try, but I doubt I'll like it much.

I think that Chuck Palahnuik is hopelessly overrated. I don't even know where to start with him, ugh.

You could start by spelling his name right? :smile: What about his work don't you like? I personally love all I have read by him, but different strokes for different folks.
Palahniuk! Gah! I thought I'd checked. Anyway, sorry.

I read 'Fight Club' (yeah, yeah, I know it's his most popular because of the film) and then I tried to read a book of his a friend recommended me, but I just couldn't get into it. I hate reading books about the problems of the 'modern age', books that are about plastic surgery and alcohol and drugs and oh, how terrible and soulless we all are*. And yes, I'm aware that as I haven't read much by him (although I have tried to start more of his novels, just couldn't get into them) then a lot of his books may be wildly different. But I doubt it.

* I feel bad about discriminating based on topic, but I don't think he writes well enough to be able to pull this sort of stuff off. I'm not adverse to these sorts of themes being in novels, just to them being the main... point. Plus, the twist in Fight Club was boring.

However, if you like him, make your case! If you convince me, I'll give him another try. And learn to spell his name :wink:.
I've not read it, but I thought Fight Club was a pretentious film.
Has anyone read Kerouac? What did you make of him?
Bollox. He wrote in a way that required little thought or effort and it shows.
Reply 32
Faith In Chaos
Yeah but considering the money that has been made from them, and the fact that they are (of course only in my opinion) mediocre at best, then I think it is a fair comment!

Yeah yeah, but I seriously doubt that Brown aims to be placed within the Literary canon.
I think he wants to be known as a great writer of thrillers. He is too.
J. K. Rowling.
ducky_72
J. K. Rowling.

Indeed. She's crap.
Reply 35
Was just about to say JK Rowling...

I also think Jodie Picoult is massively overrated. Formulaic, mediocre, populist rubbish.
Dan Brown...I know it's been said but he drives me insane
Also Thomas Hardy, a great obsessive hatred of mine :smile:
danbrown
Has anyone read Kerouac? What did you make of him?

Absolutely fantastic! Obviously he's writing to in a style which fits the whole ethos of his era/scene & he isn't the best of the beat generation but On The Road is magic!
Not contemporary, but my God Dickens is overrated.
Reply 39
Kerouac definitely has his place in literary history, and I think the Beat crowd did some important things, even if their bohemianism does seem a little stage-managed and inauthentic at times.

As for Zadie Smith - White Teeth was good, even if it could've done with some editing. The Autograph Man was shockingly bad. Yet somehow, the press developed the kind of amnesia other writers never benefit from, and by the time On Beauty came out she was their untouchable darling again, despite it being a very mediocre book, full of ill-conceived cliches about black people. She's really playing her ethnicity card to court the press, as well as her Oxbridge-Harvard 'literary novel' glamour card, which really irks me because her literary essays, sometimes found in the Guardian and the Telegraph, are in fact cases of stating-the-bleedin'-obvious most of the time. AND she wants to submit these little review-essays to Cambridge for a PhD, while everyone else has to sweat it out for three years writing something that is actually substantial and original - can't believe her arrogance! But yeah, White Teeth was good, although she herself claims to hate that novel now. :wink:

I can't stand Chuck Palahniuk. His one. Word. Sentences.
And one sentence.
Paragraphs.
The guy. Can't write.

Actually I reorganised his name to make Alan H. Chuckpiuk (pronounced Chuckpuke).:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending