The Student Room Group

Poet or Novelist?

Which art form do you prefer to express yourself? Poetry or a novel? Have you tried both? And do you have reasons?

At the minute I'm trying to decide which to pursue.
I like both poetry and novel and both literary genres are sophisticated to be good at it.
Original post by Kallisto
I like both poetry and novel and both literary genres are sophisticated to be good at it.

I'm sure that's objectively true. But for some reason I find novel writing way harder than poems.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm sure that's objectively true. But for some reason I find novel writing way harder than poems.

That stands to reason: you need characters and their character traits with plausible motives and a good plot. And your desired impact must be on point.
Reply 4
I'm probably a better prose writer than a poet but I'm decent at both. I prefer poetry, I suppose. It's more pithy and the ideas are, for me, easier to work with because of the short form.
Original post by gjd800
I'm probably a better prose writer than a poet but I'm decent at both. I prefer poetry, I suppose. It's more pithy and the ideas are, for me, easier to work with because of the short form.

Prose is also a nice kind of literature, although it is been a while that I have written them.
Reply 6
Prose is also a nice kind of literature, although it is been a while that I have written them.

Indeed, but I write for a living (well, and teach) so in some ways that takes the fun out of it.
Original post by gjd800
Indeed, but I write for a living (well, and teach) so in some ways that takes the fun out of it.

You are a novelist, that is your job? yeah I know how hard it is. Friends told me.
Reply 8
You are a novelist, that is your job? yeah I know how hard it is. Friends told me.

I am an academic.
Original post by gjd800
I am an academic.

I see. You are working with a lot of texts. Okay, I got it.
Reply 10
I see. You are working with a lot of texts. Okay, I got it.

Yes, endless amounts and endless writing :lol:
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Which art form do you prefer to express yourself? Poetry or a novel? Have you tried both? And do you have reasons?

At the minute I'm trying to decide which to pursue.

Novels.
Im no good at writing poems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending