The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
discombobulation
Also Thomas Hardy, a great obsessive hatred of mine :smile:

I like Hardy!

Jude is great!
what I want to know is whether the TSR members that comment on this thread have really read any of the author's novels to make an opinion
Reply 42
Deathly Hallows
what I want to know is whether the TSR members that comment on this thread have really read any of the author's novels to make an opinion

Hmmm I WONDER which author you're referring to.

On the subject of Rowling, I wouldn't say she is overrated at all; too many people here misunderstand what she strives to be: a great childrens author.
She's certainly achieved that, in my view.
I also agree, i think Rowling is a great author. This topic is overrated novelists, Rowling is not a novelist; but she writes good, entertaining stories. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply 44
haha I just saw the thread title and last poster and thought 'how appropriate'
Reply 45
danbrown
I also agree, i think Rowling is a great author. This topic is overrated novelists, Rowling is not a novelist; but she writes good, entertaining stories. Nothing wrong with that.

How are you finding Middlemarch? I've yet to read it.
Reply 46
Alexii
haha I just saw the thread title and last poster and thought 'how appropriate'

I cannot stand Literary snobs.
yes like Surgeon Twist
Phillip
How are you finding Middlemarch? I've yet to read it.

Very difficult to get in to in all honesty. My seminar tutor assures me it is the best novel ever written, so i will stick with it, but at the moment it's not exactly inspiring.

And yes, i have an unfortunate namesake. When i meet people for the first time they seem to think it is an incrediably original ice breaker.
Reply 49
Phillip

I don't get it. Who's the snob? Is a thread about overrated novelists so snobbish? Or what?
Phillip

Not liking Dan Brown, and thinking he is overrated, does not make you a literary snob. I am not a literary snob but think he is waay overrated. The guy has made millions on very little writing talent. Sure he can spin a story, but he just can't write and to me that is almost as important. Besides, lets face it, his 'masterpiece' was just a ripoff.
the_alba
I don't get it. Who's the snob? Is a thread about overrated novelists so snobbish? Or what?

That's. Controversial. Indeedipegs.
Faith In Chaos
Not liking Dan Brown, and thinking he is overrated, does not make you a literary snob. I am not a literary snob but think he is waay overrated. The guy has made millions on very little writing talent. Sure he can spin a story, but he just can't write and to me that is almost as important. Besides, lets face it, his 'masterpiece' was just a ripoff.

I agree, I've read passages of The Da Vinci Code and the writing is lamentable.
Reply 53
Me apparently. Even though I wasn't being snobbish in the slightest, all I implied was that I thought Dan Brown was overrated, not in a snobbish way at all; and after all I thought that was the point of the thread...

Edit: Post in reply to post 51
Reply 54
The point about Dan Brown is that he doesn't try to be a great writer or prose like Hardy or Eliot etc.

His talent is writing thrillers. The plot is what drives the book, not the language etc. of books within the canon.
correct. Dan Brown didnt go into avid detail and description because that isnt what is writing is about.
Reply 56
danbrown
Very difficult to get in to in all honesty. My seminar tutor assures me it is the best novel ever written, so i will stick with it, but at the moment it's not exactly inspiring.

And yes, i have an unfortunate namesake. When i meet people for the first time they seem to think it is an incrediably original ice breaker.

Ouchie :frown:

I suppose what we should be arguing is "Novelists that are overated in their genre/audience", against "Novellists who are overated outside their genre/audience"

I think most people agree that Rowling writes very good children's adventure stories, and that Dan Brown writes excellent thrillers.
Reply 57
danbrown
Has anyone read Kerouac? What did you make of him?

I love Kerouac's sincerity but I have to admit to only having read On the Road and the Dharma Bums.

I've read My Sister's Keeper by Picoult and found it a pleasant enough read, if 'pleasant' is the word. My friend read a couple more of her books and said they were all very samey, rather formulaic like somebody said before so I've since steered clear.

Dan Brown's alright - cardboard characters, hilariously melodramatic plot, cliche upon cliche, but aah not everybody is a literary genius and somebody's bound to churn out the blockbuster stuff.

Lots of people seem to have an opinion about McEwan but I've never read any of his books and am interested - which would you suggest starting with? :smile:
Phillip
His talent is writing thrillers. The plot is what drives the book, not the language etc. of books within the canon.

That's the thing, though. His plots are by no means exemplary (and this is coming from someone who enjoyed Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress in particular), they seem to rely more on stirring up religious controversy than actually developing a realistic narrative (admittedly, this mainly applies to The Da Vinci Code).

And I've got nothing against fiction that tries to stretch the limits of plausibility, as long as it doesn't come with an arrogance that what's being written is a groundbreaking work of genius, which is personally the impression that I get from Brown when he talks about Da Vinci.
id.est
I love Kerouac's sincerity but I have to admit to only having read On the Road and the Dharma Bums.

I've read My Sister's Keeper by Picoult and found it a pleasant enough read, if 'pleasant' is the word. My friend read a couple more of her books and said they were all very samey, rather formulaic like somebody said before so I've since steered clear.

Dan Brown's alright - cardboard characters, hilariously melodramatic plot, cliche upon cliche, but aah not everybody is a literary genius and somebody's bound to churn out the blockbuster stuff.

Lots of people seem to have an opinion about McEwan but I've never read any of his books and am interested - which would you suggest starting with? :smile:

The comfort of strangers is a nice quick read that i personally liked, don't bother with Saturday.

Latest

Trending

Trending