The Student Room Group

2016 Aerospace Engineering Applicants

Scroll to see replies

good luck on those of you who have applied and those who have offers too! I'm first year aero student at Southampton so if you have questions ask. Also I am very knowledgeable of other universities such as Bristol, Bath, Manchester/Leeds, all are good universities but they will suit different types of people. If you have any general question about course content too just ask or pm me :smile:

also check out a robot I was making... we dont always build planes :P
[video="youtube;bfmezFQEzHI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmezFQEzHI[/video]
Original post by bigboateng_
good luck on those of you who have applied and those who have offers too! I'm first year aero student at Southampton so if you have questions ask. Also I am very knowledgeable of other universities such as Bristol, Bath, Manchester/Leeds, all are good universities but they will suit different types of people. If you have any general question about course content too just ask or pm me :smile:

[video="youtube;bfmezFQEzHI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmezFQEzHI[/video]

This was awesome :smile: What was the project called/what was its purpose?
Hi there! Spanish student here. I'm awaiting responses from Cambridge and Bath, got an overseas interview from Imperial College, and currently received offers from Bristol and Southampton. Good luck to you all with your applications!
Hey man, project looks awesome! Ive currently got an offer from southampton for aerospace, and wondering how you're finding the course? Is it very general/focused? (obviously being in first year it will be more general, but I was wondering if you knew about the following years)

I know in the league tables southampton is around no.5, and bath and bristol are higher, since you mentioned you know about them, could you compare the uni's? Mainly want to know the difference in job prospects, and how employers view the degrees from the universities.

Thanks a lot!

Original post by Student403
Cambridge, UCL for Mech, Bristol, Bath and Imperial here :smile: Good luck to all!

Hey there! I have an Aero interview for Imperial on 25th? Have you heard anything back from Imperial?
I have applied to christ in Cambridge? Where you have applied in Cambridge? Any update from your Cambridge college?
Original post by RyanOsman
Applying to Bristol, UWE, Surrey, Nottingham and Southampton. Have two offers as of right now, an AAB at Soutampton and a C in Maths from UWE. (BEng)

Got BBBD at AS in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Philosophy respectively.

Good luck everyone!

What course did you apply to and why is your offer lower than the grades on their website and prospectus?
Original post by sztirmzi
Hey there! I have an Aero interview for Imperial on 25th? Have you heard anything back from Imperial?
I have applied to christ in Cambridge? Where you have applied in Cambridge? Any update from your Cambridge college?

Hey congrats. Yeah I have an overseas interview at Imperial, but not heard back from Clare College :frown:
Hey everyone! Malaysian dude here :smile: Anyone got any tips for the imperial overseas interview (extra personal statement and technical essay)? I recently got the interview email. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by ryanndelion
Hey everyone! Malaysian dude here :smile: Anyone got any tips for the imperial overseas interview (extra personal statement and technical essay)? I recently got the interview email. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Just try to answer with your point of view, with your OWN ideas, and trying to be as clean both in the handwriting and in the reasonings as possible
Original post by feracero
Just try to answer with your point of view, with your OWN ideas, and trying to be as clean both in the handwriting and in the reasonings as possible

Just got the question :smile: You?
Just got the question :smile: You?

Same, a few hours ago... Dunno what to say for Part I, obviously I want to go there because it is one of the best places to study aero hahah
Original post by feracero
Same, a few hours ago... Dunno what to say for Part I, obviously I want to go there because it is one of the best places to study aero hahah

LOL ikr I feel exactly the same
Original post by Student403
LOL ikr I feel exactly the same

Any idea what the chances are now that we have the interview? Well, more like essay than interview.
Any idea what the chances are now that we have the interview? Well, more like essay than interview.

Someone asked on FOI site but Imperial is late.. :L Should have responded by the 13th
I tried to phrase it so as to not give anything away but I see where you're coming from. All the best bro! Ace that essay/interview! :biggrin:
Original post by particlestudent
Anyone got offers from Southampton yet?

I did! International applicant, applied on Oct 9, got Soton's offer on Oct 23, conditional offer subject to:
Titulo de Bachiller with 8/10 overall to include 8/10 in Mathematics and 8/10 in Physics

Which is a relaxed offer considering on the first year of Bachillerato I scored 9.6 overall, 10 Maths and Physics

Good luck with your applications to you all!
Original post by the_martian13
Hey man, project looks awesome! Ive currently got an offer from southampton for aerospace, and wondering how you're finding the course? Is it very general/focused? (obviously being in first year it will be more general, but I was wondering if you knew about the following years)
Mainly want to know the difference in job prospects, and how employers view the degrees from the universities.

Thanks a lot!

congrats on getting the offer. The course is hard but doable as I keep telling people, you just have to be focused and be able to balance your time well. In terms of whether it is general or focused, at southampton, aero&mech&ship science do 5 modules which are the same then aero we have our aircrafts mechanics module. Even though we have same modules, aero students (& ship science) have separate lectures to mechanical, so most of the time you're hanging out with aerospace students, also in terms of applications of the content, the lecturers apply to aerospace related stuff like wings etc so all the time I definitely feel like I'm doing aerospace engineering and not some general engineering content.

I know in the league tables southampton is around no.5, and bath and bristol are higher, since you mentioned you know about them, could you compare the uni's

All 3 universities have good career prospects, Bath has a year in industry for all engineering students who choose to do it which will benefit a lot because most people secure full time jobs after they graduate through the year placement. Bristol&Southampton kinda does it but only few people choose to do it as they dont really advice it. Southampton&Bristol advice you to do summer internships but you can full year if you choose to. The good thing about Bristol is the year abroad, they have about 150 universities available to students and most of them does aerospace engineering so you can go to really great universities such as University of California (either Berkley or Los Angeles) or even McGill which is ranked like top 10 in the world so there is some great opportunity to not only go abroad for a year, but to study at a top university. Southampton only do semester abroad with very limited places (only about 5 spaces for USA) and year in industry isnt as popular here as it is in Bath (although like I said you can choose to do it), what is good about Southampton though is the course and facilities. Their course is probably the best for aerospace in terms of what we learn, trust me I did a lot of research probably more than anyone on this thread combined. I'm looking forward to take advantage of their supercomputer which one of the fastest in europe for 3&4th year projects, and also if I decide I wanna build a robot now, I can literally walk into the workshop and laser cut stuff/3d print for free( which is what we did in the video). Although the year abroad thing kinda suck at southampton, I'm looking at maybe applying for Masters abroad though.

Mainly want to know the difference in job prospects, and how employers view the degrees from the universities.

To be fair in real world nobody will give a crap about the university you went to, they probably cant differentiate between them. Also Bath, Bristol and Southampton are one of the top for aero anyways so career prospects will be the least of my worries. You just have to make sure your CV looks good, so get involved with a lot of projects, do your own projects in free time, get summer internships etc, and do well in your degree. In engineering experience > university you went to.
Wow thanks for taking your time to reply man, very helpful and a lot to think about! Southampton definitely sounds like a good course then, if I have any other questions, ill be sure to message you :smile:

congrats on getting the offer. The course is hard but doable as I keep telling people, you just have to be focused and be able to balance your time well. In terms of whether it is general or focused, at southampton, aero&mech&ship science do 5 modules which are the same then aero we have our aircrafts mechanics module. Even though we have same modules, aero students (& ship science) have separate lectures to mechanical, so most of the time you're hanging out with aerospace students, also in terms of applications of the content, the lecturers apply to aerospace related stuff like wings etc so all the time I definitely feel like I'm doing aerospace engineering and not some general engineering content.

All 3 universities have good career prospects, Bath has a year in industry for all engineering students who choose to do it which will benefit a lot because most people secure full time jobs after they graduate through the year placement. Bristol&Southampton kinda does it but only few people choose to do it as they dont really advice it. Southampton&Bristol advice you to do summer internships but you can full year if you choose to. The good thing about Bristol is the year abroad, they have about 150 universities available to students and most of them does aerospace engineering so you can go to really great universities such as University of California (either Berkley or Los Angeles) or even McGill which is ranked like top 10 in the world so there is some great opportunity to not only go abroad for a year, but to study at a top university. Southampton only do semester abroad with very limited places (only about 5 spaces for USA) and year in industry isnt as popular here as it is in Bath (although like I said you can choose to do it), what is good about Southampton though is the course and facilities. Their course is probably the best for aerospace in terms of what we learn, trust me I did a lot of research probably more than anyone on this thread combined. I'm looking forward to take advantage of their supercomputer which one of the fastest in europe for 3&4th year projects, and also if I decide I wanna build a robot now, I can literally walk into the workshop and laser cut stuff/3d print for free( which is what we did in the video). Although the year abroad thing kinda suck at southampton, I'm looking at maybe applying for Masters abroad though.

To be fair in real world nobody will give a crap about the university you went to, they probably cant differentiate between them. Also Bath, Bristol and Southampton are one of the top for aero anyways so career prospects will be the least of my worries. You just have to make sure your CV looks good, so get involved with a lot of projects, do your own projects in free time, get summer internships etc, and do well in your degree. In engineering experience > university you went to.
Original post by Pascal E
What course did you apply to and why is your offer lower than the grades on their website and prospectus?

BEng Aero, and my offer is lower because I'm from Southampton and apparently they give lower offers to locals.
Original post by RyanOsman
BEng Aero, and my offer is lower because I'm from Southampton and apparently they give lower offers to locals.

I applied for BEng Aero too on Monday, but no offer yet. I applied with A*AB though, so I might not get one :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest