The Student Room Group

Do you despair at the meaninglessness of life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Kitchener
It makes me sad when I have an ice cream and enjoy the moment, then remember that soon I will die and will have no way to eat ice cream or find pleasure in things. Although I hope that I can improve the lives of the next generation through the actions of my life.

Then make sure that you enjoy every ice-cream you eat, you never know when it could be your last. Also, live in the moment, mindfulness is great for that, forget about past and future and just be. :smile:
It helps liberate me. The none of this matters kinda thing.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
But surely if you're muslim then you believe that life isn't meaningless, that there is a purpose?

I would class myself as an existentialist. I love existentialism, it's so liberating. Life is meaningless(objectively) but that shouldn't stop people from giving their life it's own meaning. Nihilism is just depressing.

yes, this life is for worshipping Allah (swt) and ignoring the worldly desires..
I'm talking just about life in general tbh haha
But surely if you're muslim then you believe that life isn't meaningless, that there is a purpose?

I have no idea what she's talking about lmao
life has meaning... it is all about rep

I would class myself as an existentialist. I love existentialism, it's so liberating. Life is meaningless(objectively) but that shouldn't stop people from giving their life it's own meaning. Nihilism is just depressing.

It might be depressing, but I choose my beliefs based on what makes sense, not based on what makes me feel better :tongue: I dont like bull****ting myself
Original post by JD1lla
I find it liberating! I'm glad another person on here feels the same.

Yay! ^_^ Do you like existentialism too? :colondollar:
I think it's quite liberating but ultimately sucks because then you have to create your own meaning and that's really hard to do if you have no clear direction with where to go in live -hyperventilates-
Reply 28
Yay! ^_^ Do you like existentialism too? :colondollar:

I like some aspects of it like Absurdism, but other than that I don't know enough about it! I'm not particularly big on philosophy. I take it you are, given your name :wink:

That is kind of amusing considering Nietzsche is considered a Nihilist himself in some regards by some scholars :tongue:
Original post by driftawaay
It might be depressing, but I choose my beliefs based on what makes sense, not based on what makes me feel better :tongue: I dont like bull****ting myself

Well, I agree. If I wanted to have a comfort, I would believe in God but I prefer truth over comfort. But giving your life it's own meaning isn't bull****ting yourself. Life with an objective meaning, and nihilism are just black and white. I prefer to see things as grey. But opinions will always differ. :smile:
Original post by JD1lla
I like some aspects of it like Absurdism, but other than that I don't know enough about it! I'm not particularly big on philosophy. I take it you are, given your name :wink:

I just read "The Outsider" by Camus, I love his writing style! Have you read it?
I'm a philosophy geek. :colondollar:
Like you say, we are the dictators. We give life meaning and we can take control of our lives. It is daunting but it means we have an array of opportunities and potential paths to go down, which gives me hope.
Original post by Inexorably
That is kind of amusing considering Nietzsche is considered a Nihilist himself in some regards by some scholars :tongue:

Another popular misconception. Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist, he was against it vehemently! He warned people about it's fore-coming, that as atheism grows so would nihilism. If one knows anything about Nietzsche, is that he wasn't a nihilist. Nietzsche did believe that life is meaningless, but that one could create their own meaning e.g through Ubermensch
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
I just read "The Outsider" by Camus, I love his writing style! Have you read it?
I'm a philosophy geek. :colondollar:

I'm really late, but i'm still working through The God Delusion. What is your opinion on Hedonism?
Another popular misconception. Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist, he was against it vehemently! He warned people about it's fore-coming, that as atheist grew so would nihilism. If one knows anything about Nietzsche, is that he wasn't a nihilist. Nietzsche did believe that life is meaningless, but that one could create their own meaning e.g through Ubermensch

Ahh apologies. I have always heard to him referred to as a Nihilist, but also on some occasions as an existentialist :tongue:
I don;t care that it is meaningless.

I just care that I am going to get old and die :-/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emily.97
Like you say, we are the dictators. We give life meaning and we can take control of our lives. It is daunting but it means we have an array of opportunities and potential paths to go down, which gives me hope.

I totally agree!

Original post by JD1lla
I'm really late, but i'm still working through The God Delusion. What is your opinion on Hedonism?

Is it any good?
And hedonism, well I don't think pleasure should be the primary goal in life neither should it be completely abandoned. How about you? What is your opinion of it?
Original post by Inexorably
Ahh apologies. I have always heard to him referred to as a Nihilist, but also on some occasions as an existentialist :tongue:

No worries! He's a complicated fella to understand. :biggrin:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don;t care that it is meaningless.

I just care that I am going to get old and die :-/

You might die young...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending