The Student Room Group

Is it ok to literally be doing no revision right now for my AS-levels?

I've literally done nothing aside from the bare minimum homework set by the teacher. I did get an A on a C1 paper we did however I've only been procrastinating on youtube and watching anime.

Is this ok to do right now or is doing revision a necessity right now if you want to achieve highly (I'd like AAAB/AAAA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyou
I've literally done nothing aside from the bare minimum homework set by the teacher. I did get an A on a C1 paper we did however I've only been procrastinating on youtube and watching anime.

Is this ok to do right now or is doing revision a necessity right now if you want to achieve highly (I'd like AAAB/AAAA)

You should honestly start your revision as soon as you start AS. I didn't bother with any revision last year and only came out with DDD & so now in A2 I have to get straight A's to achieve my Uni's expectations.
Reply 2
i started in April and got BBCC

wanted AAA too but like you, i procrastinated

now i'm having to retake those AS modules to boost my grades to AAA hopefully

i don't know if you'll be able to retake but you should start now and do 25-30 hours a week if you want As

it's like a year and a half of your life - and then you'll be happy forever, with the effort you put in if nothing else

if you want it you have to work for it - leave anime, TSR, YouTube, all that for Sundays

good luck :biggrin:
For Maths you can just do a past paper here and there to see if any topic needs revisiting, but the real work starts when you're doing past papers closer to the exam time. You can never practice too many questions!

For other subjects, the more you do now, the easier it is later.
Reply 4
Original post by Kyou

Sounds like what I did for most of Y12 up until around March or so...

I got >94% in all 4 subjects :wink: now I'm predicted A*A*A and am still going with the same sorta work ethic :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
You've got plenty of time before your first set of exams, you should be fine as long as you make sure you properly revise once your exams are approaching. Revising all year round isn't necessary at all, although those that do that establish a good work ethic with definitely is a plus. When you've been lazing around all year, it can be tough to suddenly make the transition to properly revising once your exams are coming up. In the end, you know yourself the best, if you're sure that you'll be able to work hard once the time comes, then go ahead and enjoy yourself for now.
You've plenty of time to work on it.

Make a start!

You still have a fair few months before your actual AS exams but it is definitely beneficial to start early. I left my revision until late and came out of AS with CCD which I was not satisfied with. So to save retakes, start early. It doesn't even have to be loads, just review your notes each night and do the reading for your subjects!
Original post by Alexion
Sounds like what I did for most of Y12 up until around March or so...

I got >94% in all 4 subjects :wink: now I'm predicted A*A*A and am still going with the same sorta work ethic :lol:

Well, it works for some people :biggrin:
Also I see that Kirito/Asuna profile pic :smile:
Original post by justinawe
You've got plenty of time before your first set of exams, you should be fine as long as you make sure you properly revise once your exams are approaching. Revising all year round isn't necessary at all, although those that do that establish a good work ethic with definitely is a plus. When you've been lazing around all year, it can be tough to suddenly make the transition to properly revising once your exams are coming up. In the end, you know yourself the best, if you're sure that you'll be able to work hard once the time comes, then go ahead and enjoy yourself for now.

Thanks for the advice Judar :P
Original post by SeanFM
For Maths you can just do a past paper here and there to see if any topic needs revisiting, but the real work starts when you're doing past papers closer to the exam time. You can never practice too many questions!

For other subjects, the more you do now, the easier it is later.

Yeah I've noticed with Maths I have never really revised a topic once I've learnt it. It just stays in my head and just is reinforced with practice.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Kyou

It depends on what type of student you are. Honestly, I only worked the one week before jan exams and two weeks before june. If you didn't even need to bother working for gcse and you understand the content of your AS subjects then don't worry about it; however, if you aren't that kind of student, you should do little bits every week. Overall, just doing the homework properly should suffice.
Nobody can answer that apart from yourself.
For my AS I started around late november; came out with a D in a chemistry mock which was the first.. was a bit of a wake up call so then started revising properly for other mocks in early january etc and came out with As.
Nah I believe that people who exhaust themselves from start of the year by the time of th exam end up slacking and being sick And tired of studying and So screw up. It's about saving ur energy until February - March and releasing it all at once. Just make sure u don't fall back with the ur classes.
Depends on the person. I started hardcore revising a week before my AS exams and got 4A's :colonhash:
I wouldnt recommend last minute cramming.
You've got a while. Personally, I didn't start properly until Easter and came out with AAAA. However, I did revise for class tests that we had consistently throughout the year, so that might be why?
I started my revision around Jan/Feb maybe March
Managed to get AAABB so I guess it worked out lmao
Started my revision in April and came out with AAAAB, but it's good to take your mocks somewhat seriously (Usually takes place in December?) to see how you're doing so far :h:

Quick Reply

Latest