The Student Room Group

The school where lessons start at 1.30pm

Poll

Around what time should school lessons start?

Saw an interesting story in Metro today which tells of a headmaster "who has told his sixth formers not to come in for lessons until after lunch."

Guy Holloway, the head of Hampton Court House school; has introduced a timetable where sixth-formers start at 1.30pm and finish at 7pm.

The idea is based on research which shows teenagers need a lie-in. According to the study, a 7am start for a teenager is equivalent to a 4.30am start for an adult.

Holloway says that getting teenagers into school in the morning is 'overriding nature', while the school's website suggests that the late start means students can use the morning to do their homework.

What do you think of this idea? Would it work at your school?

Scroll to see replies

I voted 9am. I had uni at 1pm and I remmeber it meant you couldn't do a huge amount. (ie, you couldn't do something like go home) because you only had a few hours to hang around and wait. 7am is a bit too early imo.

I don't like this idea of starting at 1.30pm and finishing at 7pm. It's sometimes too dark to walk home at 7pm.
10/11 am starts are probably the optimal time for me :tongue:

Original post by OU Student
I voted 9am. I had uni at 1pm and I remmeber it meant you couldn't do a huge amount. (ie, you couldn't do something like go home) because you only had a few hours to hang around and wait. 7am is a bit too early imo.

I don't like this idea of starting at 1.30pm and finishing at 7pm. It's sometimes too dark to walk home at 7pm.

Fair point, but it gets dark around half 4/5 now and schools finish around that time so it'll be dark either way...
My school lessons start at 9, and seeing as I average around 5 hours sleep I'd really appreciate a lie-in. Personally, I work better late at night so a 1-7 day would suit me way better than 9-4
Reply 4
The optimal time to start your day is at least 1 hour later than everyone else in society starts their day.
I think 11am would be sufficient. 1pm is unnecessary.
9am, so uni/work doesn't come as a shock.

Spoiler

Lessons start at 11.50 today for me and I'm not complaining.
Free after lunch too :u:

The joys of being an A2 student :mmm:
Reply 8
My school does 8:30- 4 pm
and each lesson is 3 hours long

I would totally advocate a 1:30pm start haha
Original post by enaayrah
Lessons start at 11.50 today for me and I'm not complaining.
Free after lunch too :u:

The joys of being an A2 student :mmm:

I thought I was lucky bc I start at 1:20 and finish at 4 today :colonhash:

being an A2 student is the way forward :mmm:
Original post by shooks
Saw an interesting story in Metro today which tells of a headmaster "who has told his sixth formers not to come in for lessons until after lunch."

Guy Holloway, the head of Hampton Court House school; has introduced a timetable where sixth-formers start at 1.30pm and finish at 7pm.

The idea is based on research which shows teenagers need a lie-in. According to the study, a 7am start for a teenager is equivalent to a 4.30am start for an adult.

Holloway says that getting teenagers into school in the morning is 'overriding nature', while the school's website suggests that the late start means students can use the morning to do their homework.

What do you think of this idea? Would it work at your school?

I think 11am is perfect. 1pm is a bit too late.
But does that mean students would be having their dinner at school?
9 sounds reasonable. Personally, I start at 8 and I find it okie.
There is absolutely no need for children to go in any earlier or later than they do now. 9 am seems perfctly reasonable.
I personally prefer earlier starts as I work better in the mornings and if you finish earlier, you can do your homework once you've finished class. When I was on my year abroad we started class at 8am every day and I loved it! Managed to get so much done and was so productive. I'm really not productive when classes start after 9am-I've always been like this, even when I was at school
I voted 7am.

Children's lives should revolve around education for weekdays.

What their parents encourage them to do on weekends (and after school on weekdays) is variable (and often very little), so mandatory education should be used as much as possible to make up for bad parenting, imo.
Should always be 9am, I would have hated finishing at 7pm and what about parents picking the children up.
1pm would have been amazing for me during secondary school days.

1pm-7pm are my most productive hours. Anything after that will take me longer to complete.

But I'm not complaining, as an A2 student I was back before lunch today, yay! :biggrin:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I voted 7am.

Children's lives should revolve around education for weekdays.

What their parents encourage them to do on weekends (and after school on weekdays) is variable (and often very little), so mandatory education should be used as much as possible to make up for bad parenting, imo.

I agree with 'childrens lives should revolve around education.'

But it's not exactly 'bad parenting' if children aren't doing extra curricular activities after school/weekends, which is what I assume you were suggesting. Correct me if I read that wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I agree with 'childrens lives should revolve around education.'

But it's not exactly 'bad parenting' if children aren't doing extra curricular activities after school/weekends, which is what I assume you were suggesting. Correct me if I read that wrong.

I'm suggesting that the emphasis children place on education outside of school (and to a lesser extent inside of school), is derived largely from the values their parents instil in them.

Contrasting the work-ethic of British children and Chinese children, for example, attests to that. Most parents in the UK do not do much, in my experience, to encourage their children to work outside of school, and as the government has limited control over bad parents (in this sense), the best alternative is to make the most of the time that children spend at school.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I'm suggesting that the emphasis children place on education outside of school (and to a lesser extent inside of school), is derived largely from the values their parents instil in them.

Contrasting the work-ethic of British children and Chinese children, for example, attests to that. Most parents in the UK do not do much, in my experience, to encourage their children to work outside of school, and as the government has limited control over bad parents (in this sense), the best alternative is to make the most of the time that children spend at school.

Okay, yes I agree. I thought you were referring to parents not encouraging children to join extra activities outside of school on weekends and weekdays and calling that bad parenting. I don't know why I read it like that. :tongue:

And yes some parents really don't care, but similarly there are parents who do try to enforce discipline onto children and fail miserably because the children don't care. I mean there is only so much a parent can do, children need to take responsibility as well for their education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending