The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Woah, that's like exactly the same thing I had. I thought I was just going nuts and no one else had them. So i keep having these wierd deja vu episodes. So basically i just have my normal day and suddenly i'll feel as if i'd already dreamt this part of the day, and then my head starts pounding as the deja vu goes on more, to the point i have to sit down and distract myself so i dont feel sick. Ive had one this morning. And one yesterday
I have this too. I had them quite a bit when I was younger. I hadn't had them for years. Then last fall I had them alot for about a week and they cleared up and I forgot about them. I had one about 30 minutes ago. I get this sudden feeling of a dream like memory that has never happened before and in that moment it's so overwhelming and you feel as if you can figure the when and the where. My head starts feeling hot and pressurized and I feel nauseated. I don't forget what I was thinking about I just can't remember details. After thinking about it after the 'attack' none of it makes sense. I don't tell anyone about it. I tried talking to an ex boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) about it and he acted as if I were making it up for sympathy or being a hypercondriac lol. It's so good to know I'm not the only one experiencing it. For along time I figure I was alone.
Reply 62
I would be really interested on how this has developed and what you‘ve figured out in the last years. I came across this page because I have been experiencing the exact same thing for approx. 10 years. I have come to the conclusion that they are panic attacks. I have not yet been able to figure out the deja vu part of it though or why (/what) seems to trigger these attacks. In my case it also begins with a strange feeling of deja vu (almost as if I were in a dream or perhaps remembering a dream) before I get an intense heat flash and then dizziness, a feeling of disconnectedness and being disoriented and then my heart starts pounding and racing and then I feel super nauseous. Only thing is, I don‘t usually get headaches in the process. Let me know if you have any insights.
Reply 63
Original post by Rachel Emily
I have this too. I had them quite a bit when I was younger. I hadn't had them for years. Then last fall I had them alot for about a week and they cleared up and I forgot about them. I had one about 30 minutes ago. I get this sudden feeling of a dream like memory that has never happened before and in that moment it's so overwhelming and you feel as if you can figure the when and the where. My head starts feeling hot and pressurized and I feel nauseated. I don't forget what I was thinking about I just can't remember details. After thinking about it after the 'attack' none of it makes sense. I don't tell anyone about it. I tried talking to an ex boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) about it and he acted as if I were making it up for sympathy or being a hypercondriac lol. It's so good to know I'm not the only one experiencing it. For along time I figure I was alone.

This is exactly what I am going through!! I wrote my reply before reading this...
Reply 64
I have the same thing happen. It’s happened 5 times now. Usually when I’m showering or getting ready. We have got to figure this out. It is not fun to feel sick like this.
This sounds extremely similar to what I experience!! It is sort of like a flashback, like a familiar feeling paired with some sort of mental image. Then it leaves me feeling weird and drained. I had three today and it took a lot out of me
I found these posts through trying to to explain to my friends what I keep experiencing when I get, as I call it, 'opposite deja vu'. I zone out for a couple of seconds and as I'm zoning out I start to feel sick and dizzy, it feels like shouldn't be here but also I'm meant to. Do you get what I mean? I may be overcomplicating my feeling in this but thats how try to explain it and my friends don't understand
I’ve just been googling this as I sometimes get just how you’ve explained it, I’ve not said anything to anyone as I can’t explain it myself, leaves my stomach feeling sick and like in a knot, and then I can’t even remeber it , it’s like an awake dream ,, did you ever get to the bottom of it? You have discribed it so exact to how I get it at times
This is me this is me , I thought I was going mad , it really upsets me , I’ve just had an episode now and been googling it, have you had this looked into,
Original post by Kimeich
I would be really interested on how this has developed and what you‘ve figured out in the last years. I came across this page because I have been experiencing the exact same thing for approx. 10 years. I have come to the conclusion that they are panic attacks. I have not yet been able to figure out the deja vu part of it though or why (/what) seems to trigger these attacks. In my case it also begins with a strange feeling of deja vu (almost as if I were in a dream or perhaps remembering a dream) before I get an intense heat flash and then dizziness, a feeling of disconnectedness and being disoriented and then my heart starts pounding and racing and then I feel super nauseous. Only thing is, I don‘t usually get headaches in the process. Let me know if you have any insights.
Hi everyone. Ive been having the same thing, multiple times in one day for a month or so now. It’s actually a weird relief to hear other people describe the exact same symptoms.I went to my GP and she said it was probably stress from money worries. I dont think she really listened to me though.I’ve found some info online and wanted to share with you all. Im going to make another appointment with my Doctor and see if she can rule out these types of epilepsy. Check the link for info, it seems pretty accurate to what we are all experiencing! https://health.clevelandclinic.org/deja-vu-what-it-is-and-when-it-may-be-cause-for-concern/
That's crazy lol. I googled this today because I had it happen to me 3 times this morning at my boyfriend's house. I googled
I’m here for the same reason as others. I might have one a day, then nothing for weeks, then a day like today I have had several. In the morning, when hungry, when full, in the afternoon, when tired, when wide awake, when watching tv, when in the middle of a conversation= there is no rhyme or reason I can think of that is causing them. The closest I’ve come is a panic attack but I’m not stressed or worried about anything and the situations they happen in are not something that I would associate to anything unpleasant or worrisome. Has anyone found relief?
I had my 3rd or 4th episode of this exact thing today...
I only get it when showering/bathing and apparently hot water is known to be a trigger partial seizures.
The deja vu feeling is because its affecting the temporal lobe of the brain which is involved in MEMORY STORAGE ... in my deja vu hallucination i see an entire scene in my head... i cant explain it... its like im somewhere else from a time in my past in such vivid detail... but it feels so wrong and i get sick and feel like death is closeby and just want to call my family.
Do you still have episodes after all these years?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I get this thing every once in a while, say, once a month, but obv its not regular. Basically, im just doing a normal routine thing, like getting ready in the morning, or reading a book in the afternoon, and all of a sudden a weird feeling comes over me-like im experiencing deja-vu, which obviously in a sense is true since im doing a routine thing that i do almost everyday, but then I start getting dizzy, and feel all funny so that I kind of retch, and I get a tad disoriented.

And so that lasts for like a few seconds, and afterwards I end up with a strange headache which kinda goes after like a coupla hours.

What the heck is that all about? I eat and drink normally, it doesnt happen when im insanely hungry or drunk, so we can rule them out lol.

I have this exact same issue!!!! I've described it as like a feeling of "impending deja vu"!!! I went to the GP and they tested me for epilepsy and did some blood tests, everything came back negative. The GP basically said come back if you lose consciousness or bowel/bladder control... Like no ****.

I also get kinda get flashbacks to dreams I've had, but a specific action in that dream which'll then send me into a flashback of the entire dream. Really not pleasant at all...
I know this post was 12 years ago but what you just explained is the same thoughts and feelings I go through. Any idea what causes this? Puts me in a weird head space and I get frightened and feel nauseous all at the same time. My thoughts while it's happening are so vivid but as soon as it starts, it's almost over and once it's over I get confused and can't explain what I just visioned.
This happens to me and I don't want to tell my doctor because I don't actually know how to explain it properly I always feel sick as it happens
I’ve had this exact same thing for nearly 10 years (I’m 20 now) and still have no diagnosis. It takes entire days off me! I call them “flashy backy things” and sometimes I can have the weird feeling that comes with them without the actual episode? If I feel like that it can last a whole day and I can’t do much for fear it will keep triggering them. Also recently I’ve been experiencing memory issues with them, when I have them I’ve started to forget the people I’m with and what I’m doing. It’s really scary. If anyone experiences this sane kind of thing please get in touch! I would like to speak to someone about it so I feel less crazy :frown: I go to the doctors about it every year!
Original post by Clostace
I’ve had this exact same thing for nearly 10 years (I’m 20 now) and still have no diagnosis. It takes entire days off me! I call them “flashy backy things” and sometimes I can have the weird feeling that comes with them without the actual episode? If I feel like that it can last a whole day and I can’t do much for fear it will keep triggering them. Also recently I’ve been experiencing memory issues with them, when I have them I’ve started to forget the people I’m with and what I’m doing. It’s really scary. If anyone experiences this sane kind of thing please get in touch! I would like to speak to someone about it so I feel less crazy :frown: I go to the doctors about it every year!

I don't personally experience this but it sounds like derealization to me (I could be wrong). Some anecdotal stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcuTRwBNCs&vl=en/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6iVspBWzZU
And NHS info: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dissociative-disorders/
Did you get a final diagnosis?

Latest

Trending

Trending