The Student Room Group

[Ireland or the UK?!] EDIT: Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, heard much?

Don't yet have to deal with this dilemma, but I might have to soon. I've got offers from the UK (UEA, HYMS and waiting on Sheffield) and offers from medical schools in Ireland (RCSI and waiting on Trinity College). Where should I go? I'd love to go to Dublin as its a wonderful city. Yet at the same time, i'm worried the standard of education is not as high as the UK.. similarly, i'm worried student life is not up to scratch too.. any advice? Thanks!

EDIT:

I've just received an offer from the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. I'm debating wether to go there or not. I really like the course and all (and dublin!).. but you know, I'm wondering if perhaps the standard of teaching in the UK is better. Can anyone tell me how this university is perceived in the UK (hearsay etc..). Anything you know about it, please share!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The standard of education at the Irish medical schools are as good as those offered at the British Medical Schools. Although I would say come and study in Britian but that's just my totally biased opinion! :biggrin:
It's really hard to get student accommodation in Dublin. The university doesn't provide much (if any) and private sector accommodation is expensive (really expensive) and thin on the ground. Plus Dublin is more expensive in general - it would be the equivalent of London in terms of cost. I'm not sure what the student life is like at all. I do know that Irish universities are having financial difficulties (hence why the majority of people on your medical course will be international) at the moment.

The standard of education is just the same as the UK...why wouldn't it be? Irish doctors are just as good as UK doctors and are trained to the same level. You will receive an MB BCh BAO (the same qualification given out by Belfast - a UK medical school) and the course structure seems to be close to the UK equivalent. After all, all the med schools down South were originally founded at a time when Ireland was part of the UK. I know of a few Irish doctors working in England as GPs and consultants.
Reply 3
I applied to both ireland and britain as well, i have friend in the medical community that have studied at ireland medical school and british medical school. He told me that the royal college of surgeons doesnt offer the same quality of teaching as most british medical schools. However trinity is better than most, he told me that he only thought medical schools such a oxbridge,newcastle/durham,UCL,KCL and imperial could b considered better!
obviously everybody elses opinion is different but he has had experience at various medical establishments and i just though this information would b useful. In the end its your decision!
Good Luck with trinity
Reply 4
All medical schools are good in Ireland but obviously Trinity as a university in general has an international reputation and is considered the Irish equivalent of Oxbridge. I would expect that Trinity may have slightly more to offer in terms of the social aspect just like Oxbridge offer some things which other places don't (and never will).
Reply 5
Well all my family are from Ireland and my cousin is a 1st yr at Trinity and seems to love it! She does, however, live in Dublin so living costs would obviously not really be much of an issue for her. I don't think the nightlife is a problem in Dublin tbh.. but then again she has been at school there her whole life so socially she would have lots of friends from outside the uni. She did mention that most of the people on her course were international, obviously due to the fees they pay, but didn't seem to think it was a problem in any way.

The only thing i would say, but you probably already know if you've already applied, is that as far as i know RCSI is really expensive? I may be wrong but I was told that. hmm

Anyway good luck with your decision that was probably no help at all! lol
Reply 6
Thanks for the responses, they've been helpful! Although I think I left out a vital piece of information.. to be quite honest, i'm lucky enough to be fully sponsored by the Qatar government (tuition + rent + living expenses), so cost isn't much of an issue. Trinity does seem to be very established.. although I worry thats its tooo big.. and scary in that sense. I'll see though. Again, thx for the opinions, very helpful, keep them coming!
Reply 7
Trinity isn't really that big at all, it's definitely a lot smaller than UCD. There's also only 60 places on the course, UK medical schools generally have 200-300 places.

Trinity is right at the top of Grafton Street, really close to Temple Bar (an area with loads of bars and restaurants.) As you're getting your accommodation paid for, you'd be able to get somewhere in the city centre, close to everything!

I thought you didn't hear from Irish universities until August? Or is it different for internationals to give them more time for arranging accommodation etc.?

One major advantage of Dublin is that you can go to Supermacs and get a hot chocolate muffin with ice cream! :biggrin:
Irish universities will do ANYTHING for internationals :p:
Reply 9
I applied to Trinity College Dublin :smile:
Reply 10
Did you hear anything yet? I'm DESPERATE to get in! And becca, they actually get a whole lot of international applications, so its not that easy, very competitive!
It's much less competitive than in the UK. In the UK there is a small quota, whereas in Ireland something like 5/600 out of all the 800 or so med places available will go to internationals.
I haven't heard anything. I wasn't expecting to until August.
Reply 13
Ah ok, i'm an International.. so I should hear sometimes this week! Wish my luck!:smile:
Seriously, is it that soon??
Or maybe it's cause you're out of the EU. Do you think it's that? I was sure it said August for me. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Yeah thats what I said. Its only 'cause i'm Non-EU that I hear now. I think that since you're EU, you'll have to wait till your A-level grades are out. Not sure about that though..
Reply 16
Both RSCI and TCD are great ... TCD is the better however.
Both benefit from being in a capital city and having well funded research, and large city hospitals to work in. St James is the largest and best public hospital in Ireland, and its intensive care facilities are second to none (if you are sick enough to merit getting in that is, - just not enough beds, at EUR 4000 a day!).

The number of places available for non-European students is large in the UK, so I am not sure which has access to the best candidate pool.

Social life in both will be excellent. Both have very contained campuses, meaning that they are hothouses for students. The city now is hugely cosmopolitan, and that is reflected in the hospitals (many of the staff are foreign, although patients, generally elderly, will be almost wholly Irish).
Dublin offers all the advantages of a capital city... so big names on tour tend to drop in. In my experience, its social life if clearly superior to any British provincial city. And while it can't with London for breadth, it makes up for it in concentration. Also bear in mind that the airport is nearby and flights now are cheap - key for internationals. Even AerLingus now has direct flights to Dubai.

TCD does provide accommodation - 1st years are out in Darty, a nice leafy suburb that is a 15 minute back ride away, 45m walking, 15m by tram.
The rooms and appartments provided within TCD are amazing, but can probably only get one year.
Don't know about RSCI.
In the private sector, like in the UK, best value accommodation is in shared 3/4 bedroom houses. Prices vary hugely from area to area, mostly as a function of schools and "standing", neither of which will interest students mcuh per se. For a room in a shared house, maybe most would pay EUR400 to 700 a month.
Both TCD and RSCI are close to the newish DART tram lines (comes close to Darty also).

RSCI just does health-related studies - TCD teaches most disciplines, so meet a wider range of people, although medics too often stay to themselves.

Don't be afraid of meeting people... you'll find it amazingly easy! Indeed in Ireland, you have to make less efforts as small chat is the number one past time...
Reply 17
Cheers for that mate. I think i'll prefer to go to TCD, i'm in love with it. Although it is extreemyl compettive to get in as an international highschooler, so perhaps i'm just buildin up false hope!
killian im loving your advice thanks!
I think it is important to put aside which uni has the most prestige. Look at the hard facts. Which will be better for you to live at for 5/6 years and which offers the best degree. Put aside the emotional things/ prestige and you can't go wrong.:smile:

Good luck :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending