The Student Room Group

Looking to get into IT tech support

Hey there, so I've been wondering what I wanted to do in my career and have finally decided to go down the IT route. I had originally done a BTEC level 3 in business but decided not to go to university. I know for tech support you'd have to get qualifications like comp TIA A+, cisco ccna etc... Does anyone know if there are any colleges or companies that can train you up for less than £4-5k as I found company called JUST IT and went to go see one of the consultants but it seems a little pricey as the exams only range from £100-200 each.

I've worked in retail for a long time and I'm now 21 wondering If I could go into IT before its too late. I'm quite fed up of retail and I've always been a tech nerd since I was 12 years old.

I did find a company called Just IT which they help you train towards your qualifications and help you look for a job later on once you've passed your exams etc... I also found out how much they'd charge and it worked out to be nearly £5150. This would include going to there classes, doing the exams and also they help you look for a job which they have contacts through law firms, clothing companies and many more based on the IT sector. They've also said that they'd guarantee me a job between the figures of £18-25k once i've passed the exams and once they've helped me with career support e.g. interviewing, managing my cv etc...

I just wanted some opinions on if this was worth the money as It seems like a lot of jobs these days require a degree, I've never really been an academic person but obviously my strongest subject will be IT as I'm on the computer most days learning new software's or even just fixing my friends computers. I was also told by my dad to have a look at Code Academy and maybe look into software developing which I've slowly been learning on the website but it seems a little complicated as I've never done java or C++ before lol.

It seems like an intensive course:

Week 1 Learn CompTIA A+ essentials
Week 2 Learn CompTIA A+ IT Technician
Week 3-5 home study (exam prep for comptia A+ essentials and it technician)
Week 6 Learn Microsoft Windows 7 course
Week 7 Learn Microsoft Windows server 2012
Week 8-12 home study (exam prep for windows 7)

After this they put you in a work placement for 4 weeks

which is then followed by the last exam for the windows server 2012

Finally after 6-12 months employment you do your Cisco CCNA which means you can get to 2nd and 3rd line support.
Is this a question or an advert for Just IT? Which incidentally sounds horrendously expensive for someone who is a self confessed Tech geek since the age of 12. If you want to learn about Windows Server 2012, why not start here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+server+2012&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awindows+server+2012

It isn't rocket science.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Z0ned
Hey there, so I've been wondering what I wanted to do in my career and have finally decided to go down the IT route. I had originally done a BTEC level 3 in business but decided not to go to university. I know for tech support you'd have to get qualifications like comp TIA A+, cisco ccna etc... Does anyone know if there are any colleges or companies that can train you up for less than £4-5k as I found company called JUST IT and went to go see one of the consultants but it seems a little pricey as the exams only range from £100-200 each.

I've worked in retail for a long time and I'm now 21 wondering If I could go into IT before its too late. I'm quite fed up of retail and I've always been a tech nerd since I was 12 years old.

I did find a company called Just IT which they help you train towards your qualifications and help you look for a job later on once you've passed your exams etc... I also found out how much they'd charge and it worked out to be nearly £5150. This would include going to there classes, doing the exams and also they help you look for a job which they have contacts through law firms, clothing companies and many more based on the IT sector. They've also said that they'd guarantee me a job between the figures of £18-25k once i've passed the exams and once they've helped me with career support e.g. interviewing, managing my cv etc...

I just wanted some opinions on if this was worth the money as It seems like a lot of jobs these days require a degree, I've never really been an academic person but obviously my strongest subject will be IT as I'm on the computer most days learning new software's or even just fixing my friends computers. I was also told by my dad to have a look at Code Academy and maybe look into software developing which I've slowly been learning on the website but it seems a little complicated as I've never done java or C++ before lol.

It seems like an intensive course:

Week 1 Learn CompTIA A+ essentials
Week 2 Learn CompTIA A+ IT Technician
Week 3-5 home study (exam prep for comptia A+ essentials and it technician)
Week 6 Learn Microsoft Windows 7 course
Week 7 Learn Microsoft Windows server 2012
Week 8-12 home study (exam prep for windows 7)

After this they put you in a work placement for 4 weeks

which is then followed by the last exam for the windows server 2012

Finally after 6-12 months employment you do your Cisco CCNA which means you can get to 2nd and 3rd line support.

Www.udemy.com

Www.howtonetwork.com

Www.cbtnuggets.com

Www.pluralsight.com

Www.youtube.com

Search for whatever course you're interested, save yourself £1000s. Also buy books, thats what I've done/am doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
im also want to be an IT tech all i know is you need comptia a+ and ccna anything else please advice
Reply 4
yepp you got udemy and youtube also books i bought on ebay full comptia book 2007 and it cost be £5 after i did the practise i do the exam on comptia official site witcch costr £200 if you want to study then UXBRIDGE COLLLEGE IN LONDON DO COMTIA+ COURSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending