The Student Room Group

Primark sizes...

Poll

How do you find Primark's clothes, in terms of sizing?

Hi,

Has anyone else found the Primark clothes to have very weird sizes? Or is it just me imagining things?

I'll give you my example: in most stores, I take a Medium for t-shirts/shirts etc and either a Medium or a 34" waist for trousers. I haven't tried Primark for trousers, but usually I end up having to buy a Large from Primark to get it to fit properly...

Today, I was shocked as to how Primark manage to mis-sell their sizes... I was interested in buying a light blue denim shirt, and seeing as though their sizes are a bit odd, I took a Large with me to try on. The strange thing was... the Large didn't fit brilliantly in this shirt! To feel comfortable I'd have needed an XL. I am usually a Medium in any other shop!

I also saw a t-shirt I liked there, and took in two sizes - a Medium and a Large. The Medium was far to small, and the Large fitted almost perfectly. Hence I bought the Large.

Is it me, or are Primark sizes very tight when compared to other stores? For comparison, I'm currently wearing a t-shirt from Topman (that I bought in the sale) and that is a Medium and fits perfectly.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
Hi,

Has anyone else found the Primark clothes to have very weird sizes? Or is it just me imagining things?

I'll give you my example: in most stores, I take a Medium for tshirts/shirts etc and either a Medium or a 34" waist for trousers.I haven't tried Primark for trousers, but usually I end up having to buy a Large from Primark to get it to fit properly...

Today, I was shocked as to how Primark manage to mis-sell their sizes... I was interested in buying a light blue denim shirt, and seeing as though their sizes are a bit odd, I took a Large with me to try on. The strange thing was... the Large didn't fit brilliantly in this shirt! To feel comfortable I'd have needed an XL. I am usually a Medium in any other shop!

I also saw a t-shirt I liked there, and took in two sizes - a Medium and a Large. The Medium was far to small, and the Large fitted almost perfectly. Hence I bought the Large.

Is it me, or are Primark sizes very tight when compared to other stores? For comparison, I'm currently wearing a t-shirt from Topman (that I bought in the sale) and that is a Medium and fits perfectly.

Probably a bit different for women's clothing, but yeah I agree.

Primark sizes make absolutely no sense, I've had a size 6 coat that's quite loose and a size 6 skirt that fits just right and then a size 10 dress that won't even zip up. Complete madness. On average I'm an 8, but if it's anything fitted I have to grab a few sizes because god knows what size I'll be.

I couldn't even choose an option from your list because it's both too small and too big in the same size but different items.
(edited 8 years ago)
their jeans are TIGHT AF in the WRONG PLACES

Can't a girl get some decent priced clothing without having to shop somewhere v pricey :puppyeyes:

I love their scarves though, especially the winter ones :daydreaming:
Reply 3
Primark clothing is just all over the place..... I don't shop there anymore but when I used to I had like a size 8 top, size 20 top, size 12 tops... and they all fitted. It was like a lucky dip in that place :s-smilie:
I bought a size 12 and 14 black shirt for work and they were the exact same size, and 2 weeks later the 14's were more like a size 16.
Always end up getting at least three of each size of every piece of clothing I buy from Primark - the size I am and a size lower and higher - bringing them back home, trying them all on, and then just taking back the ones that don't fit. Noticed the same thing, a size in one piece is completely different to a size in another.
I'm a size 8-10 but always seem to end up buying size 6s at Primark. Same with Next and M&S now I come to think of it
Can't use any of the poll options... sometimes I fit my normal size, others I have to get two sizes too big, and others end up a size or two smaller? They're pretty weird.
Loooooooooooooooool.
Reply 9
I actually find that I can get Size 8 from Primark where Im normally size 10. But I'm also short af and can only buy jeans from Primark and H&M so yeah Primark probably has weird sizes xD
Reply 10
Original post by SophieSmall

Primark sizes make absolutely no sense, I've had a size 6 coat that's quite loose and a size 6 skirt that fits just right and then a size 10 dress that won't even zip up. Complete madness. On average I'm an 8, but if it's anything fitted I have to grab a few sizes because god knows what size I'll be.

I couldn't even choose an option from your list because it's both too small and too big in the same size but different items.

Original post by Jenx301
Primark clothing is just all over the place..... I don't shop there anymore but when I used to I had like a size 8 top, size 20 top, size 12 tops... and they all fitted. It was like a lucky dip in that place :s-smilie:

Good lord... so this basically confirms what their sizing is like! For the past year or so, I always try on Primark clothes, just to be on the safe side. As I can't be bothered to go through all of the returning items policies!

Funnily enough, I was told by my parents a couple of years ago that Primark were a little bit tight with their sizes... didn't know it was this bad!

To confirm this, I bought two different shirts late last year, they were both a size medium, and they both fitted differently! :eek: Guess I'll have to save one of them for if I am lucky enough to lose a bit of weight, as there's no way I can return it - no receipt and the shirt isn't stocked!

A couple of months ago, I bought a couple of t-shirts. One was a long length one, one was standard length. Again, they fitted differently (and not just the length), but they were both fine.

It just shows how little consistency there is!
Reply 11
Original post by thecatwithnohat
their jeans are TIGHT AF in the WRONG PLACES

Can't a girl get some decent priced clothing without having to shop somewhere v pricey :puppyeyes:

I love their scarves though, especially the winter ones :daydreaming:

Well I once tried on a couple of pairs of trousers from there, grabbing a couple of different sizes as you do...The 34" trousers were quite tight everywhere, so tried a pair of 36" trousers. They were better, but were still tight in the wrong area...

And no, I wasn't going to try the 38", because that's 2 sizes bigger than normal and would result in them just falling down immediately....
Reply 12
Original post by digitalangel18
I bought a size 12 and 14 black shirt for work and they were the exact same size, and 2 weeks later the 14's were more like a size 16.

Wow, that's inconsistent! Just proves that some sizes can be very variable... Wrt the shirt that I tried on today, it could have even been a dodgy batch, or even the wrong size label sewn onto the garment... as it fitted more like how a Medium would normally fit. If I'd had a tape measure with me at the time, I'd have measured the thing! Apparently a large is supposed to fit anything between a 41" and a 43" chest... well, if I couldn't get into it (my chest is about 39"), there's no way someone who has a 43" chest would get into it!

Original post by Hashim123
Always end up getting at least three of each size of every piece of clothing I buy from Primark - the size I am and a size lower and higher - bringing them back home, trying them all on, and then just taking back the ones that don't fit. Noticed the same thing, a size in one piece is completely different to a size in another.

Totally agree with everything you've said, except that I always get the correct size and a size too big. If, by some miracle, my normal size is too big, I can just look for the size smaller. Having said that, based on my experience, I think I'll pretty much always need the size bigger than what I usually take!
Original post by SophieSmall

i have size 6 jeans from there that are ok but a bit tight, same wit size 8. however their size 10's are huge. im a small/ xs im almost every store yet i have a size 10 top thats look more like a 4/6...hmm
Reply 14
Original post by LucyBirchTree
i have size 6 jeans from there that are ok but a bit tight, same wit size 8. however their size 10's are huge. im a small/ xs im almost every store yet i have a size 10 top thats look more like a 4/6...hmm

Since I last posted on this thread three years ago, the sizes have got no better in my opinion. Still dodgy to buy from there without first trying the garment on (and grabbing a handful of sizes just in case), as you don't know whether the item will fit or not.

I buy tops from Primark in size L and they generally fit fine, haven't tried their bottoms/jeans/trousers etc as I can get better quality/fitting ones from elsewhere for not much price difference.

(P.S. you might want to check the date that the last post was made on, and if it's over 6 months old, you're best off starting a fresh thread. Just to let you know.)
Primark sizes are so weird! I'm normally a 6-8 but I have a pair of shorts from Primak that are an 8 and are absolutely huge, yet their size 8 jeans fit pretty well. I've got tops that are a size 12 (not even baggy tops, just normal fitting tops) from there and dresses that are a 4. Ultimately the size doesn't really matter but it's such a pain knowing if I find something I like then I'm going to have to try it on in several sizes just to find the right fit
Reply 16
Im so glad i found this thread. I have beating myself up for the last few days as i bought some dresses from primark recently for holiday (i recently lost 4 1/2 stone and generally fit in a size 14 from a size 22). I bought three dresses stupidly all in size 14 without trying them on got them home one was so tight i couldnt literally zip it up and the others fit but rather snuggly so i took them back got a 16 in the one that wouldnt zip up fit perfect and the other two had no 16 so got two 18s which fit loosly. I was so devistated that i had to buy a 16 and two 18s but glad after seeing this that its not just me!
I feel exactly the same. I am normally size 10 (from 16. Because i lost weight) yesterday i had to buy a skirt which is size 14! And bought a jean for my husband and he wasn’t with me i was comparing the size 30 and 32 i hold them together and saw there is not even mm difference! I would highly recommend you to try before buying stuff from Primark and don’t feel down if you need to buy a couple of size bigger guys!
I'm interested in this discussion as I'm currently a size 20, I just recently dropped a size from a 22. However I bought some dresses from Primark in July this year, they both a size 18 (winter dresses) and I wondered what the genuine likelihood is of them still fitting me when I reach my goal size of a size 12-14. I'm starting slimming shakes soon, so I'm anticipating loosing weight quite quickly.
oh man don't even get me started, womens sizes are obviously slightly different but on average i'm a size 12, and from primark i've got tops that are size 8 and also tops that are size 20 ?!?!?!?! it's an absolute piss take

Quick Reply

Latest