The Student Room Group

Do I have the potential to study at Oxford? (physics)

I'm in year 12, studying A2 maths AS physics AS chemistry and AS history. I've already got an A in AS maths (barely) and should be getting an A in the final A level (possibly an A*). According to my teachers I should be getting an A/A* in physics, an A in chemistry and an A* in history, which I think I can achieve. This would mean I would meet the requirements to get into Oxford (A*AA) however I think I may be overlooked by them because of my maths UMS, which average 81 so far ( I got a C in D1 :/) does anyone study physics at Oxford or know anyone who got similar grades to me? Do they only accept applicants who have exceptional module grades? i.e. 90% plus in maths modules
Reply 1
Original post by bamster
I'm in year 12, studying A2 maths AS physics AS chemistry and AS history. I've already got an A in AS maths (barely) and should be getting an A in the final A level (possibly an A*). According to my teachers I should be getting an A/A* in physics, an A in chemistry and an A* in history, which I think I can achieve. This would mean I would meet the requirements to get into Oxford (A*AA) however I think I may be overlooked by them because of my maths UMS, which average 81 so far ( I got a C in D1 :/) does anyone study physics at Oxford or know anyone who got similar grades to me? Do they only accept applicants who have exceptional module grades? i.e. 90% plus in maths modules

They don't know your module marks so they can't tell the difference between you and someone with 100% in maths at AS. The key differentiator will be the PAT, which is half maths.
Reply 2
Original post by astro67
They don't know your module marks so they can't tell the difference between you and someone with 100% in maths at AS. The key differentiator will be the PAT, which is half maths.

Do they not ask for module marks?
just ace the PAT. it is so, so important. also, if it's D1 that's bringing you down as opposed to a core module or mechanics, then it's not so bad. but you really should consider taking up AS further maths this year
Reply 4
Original post by bamster
Do they not ask for module marks?

you can choose to put them in your UCAS form but you're not required to.
Reply 5
Original post by not you
you can choose to put them in your UCAS form but you're not required to.

Oh right, thanks, I may be in with a chance then
Reply 6
Original post by tanyapotter
just ace the PAT. it is so, so important. also, if it's D1 that's bringing you down as opposed to a core module or mechanics, then it's not so bad. but you really should consider taking up AS further maths this year

Right, thanks, and the way my school does further maths is that you have to do both the AS and A2 in year 13 which I think might affect my grades in other subjects :/ is it essential?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending