The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atsruser
I think that you're being a bit pessimistic there. It's true that it couldn't be given simply in the form "Do this integral: ...". But it could be a nice multi-part question, with part 1 being "sum this complex series", part 1 being some hints about the orthogonality of sin/cos, and the third part being the integral itself. That would be a decent STEP III question, I think.

Oh Yes for sure, that makes it much much easier!. When you said Complex numbers i thought of expressing everything in complex numbers and using geometric series to sum it.
Yes it would be a decent III question indeed! Imagine if it comes up 👍!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the A-level students amongst you :smile: It's pretty simple but oh well :lol:

Show that

0dx(x3+x+(1+x2)3/2)(1+1+x2arctan(x))=ln(π2)\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{dx}{(x^3 +x +(1+x^2)^{3/2})(1+\sqrt{1+x^2}\arctan(x))} = \ln\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right)
(edited 8 years ago)
I posted this (with slightly different limits) on the Proof is Trivial thread where it was left unsolved, so I'll repeat it here. It's well within the capabilities of an A level student:

Give a geometrical argument to show that, if x2+y2=1x^2+y^2=1, then

2222+2211x2 dx=π4\displaystyle \int_{\frac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2}}}{2}}^{ \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}{2} } \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{4}

You'll probably need to draw a diagram to show the geometrical bit.

Time to clear this one up, I think:

Scan_20160120 (2)-crop.png Scan_20160120-crop.png

We are interested in the quantity dx1x2=dxy\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = \frac{dx}{y} as we want to integrate it between the two values of xx supplied in the limits.

In picture (1) I've drawn a picture showing the relationship between the infinitesimal dx,dy,dsdx, dy, ds, with dsds being the change in arc length for this curve. Consider triangles OAC and BDC. Look at picture (2) for a zoomed copy of BDC.

We can see that as dx0dx \to 0 we must have that CD ds\to ds and that thus angle OCDπ/2\to \pi/2. From triangle OAC, we have α+θ=π/2\alpha + \theta = \pi/2, so we must thus have, in the limit, angle BCDα\to \alpha and also angle BDCθ\to \theta.

Thus triangles OAC and BDC are "ultimately similar", and we have that:

dsdx=1yds=dxy\frac{ds}{dx} = \frac{1}{y} \Rightarrow ds = \frac{dx}{y}

But note that for the unit circle ds=1dα=dαds = 1 d\alpha = d\alpha - this tells us that the integrand, when viewed from an infinitesimal point-of-view, simply measures the change in angle caused by a change in xx.

We also have cosα=xα=cos1x\cos \alpha = x \Rightarrow \alpha = \cos^{-1} x and in addition note that as xx increases, α\alpha decreases, so putting this all together, we have:

2222+2211x2 dx=α1α2dα=α1α2\displaystyle \int_{\frac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2}}}{2}}^{ \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}{2} } \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \ dx = \int_{\alpha_1}^{\alpha_2} -d\alpha = \alpha_1-\alpha_2

The only mystery left is finding the two angles, if you don't recognise them from their cosines. But we can do that by writing:

cosα2=2+222cos2α21=cos2α2=22α2=π8\cos \alpha_2 = \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}} }{2} \Rightarrow 2\cos^2 \alpha_2 -1 = \cos 2\alpha_2 = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \Rightarrow \alpha_2= \frac{\pi}{8}

and

cosα1=2222cos2α11=cos2α1=22α=3π8\cos \alpha_1 = \frac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2}} }{2} \Rightarrow 2\cos^2 \alpha_1 -1 = \cos 2\alpha_1 = -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \Rightarrow \alpha= \frac{3\pi}{8}

So we have the integral equals 3π8π8=π4\frac{3\pi}{8}-\frac{\pi}{8} = \frac{\pi}{4} by geometry (or by infinitesimal geometry, at least).
Hmm. Bizarrely over-aggressive responsive. I do apologise. There I was, thinking that I was giving a vaguely useful suggestion to help someone improve their integration, when really I was being an evil, bastard, patronising ... bastard!!!!.

Don't worry - I shall delete the offending post, and shall take the greatest of care not to patronise you in the future, by the simple expedient of ignoring your future posts.

Total overreaction to being called out and I said never said you were being an "evil bastard" so don't know where you got that one from.

Whatever you obviously don't care anyway with you sarcastic fake response, so... bye.
Original post by Kummer
That's slightly easier than mine as well as you deal with no partial fractions. I couldn't agree more with your advice, btw. Orthogonality helped me tame this beast earlier in this thread.

You may wish to look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60397285&postcount=3399 for another similar one that I posted elsewhere. (I put up a solution later though, if you can't be bothered with it).

And thinking of orthogonality, I guess there should be plenty of scope for more hard integrals with other orthogonal sets - I really need a good book that covers all of the standard special functions though - I don't have one. Any suggestions?
Evaluate

01x+1arctan(2πxln(x)+ln(π/2)) dx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{x+1} \arctan \left(\dfrac{2\pi}{x - \ln(x) + \ln(\pi/2)}\right) \ dx

:beard:
Reply 786
Why does almost every integral in this thread has limits?
You may wish to look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60397285&postcount=3399 for another similar one that I posted elsewhere. (I put up a solution later though, if you can't be bothered with it).

And thinking of orthogonality, I guess there should be plenty of scope for more hard integrals with other orthogonal sets - I really need a good book that covers all of the standard special functions though - I don't have one. Any suggestions?

How about a classic?

https://ia800504.us.archive.org/5/items/HandbookOfMathematicalFunctions/AMS55.pdf
Original post by TeeEm

i was asking myself the same thing!

Spoiler

Reply 789
Original post by trapking
i was asking myself the same thing!

Spoiler

We have to wait for some plausible explanations
Original post by TeeEm
We have to wait for some plausible explanations

Indeed, some of this looks like chinese to me :lol:
Original post by TeeEm

Probably a shot in the dark here, but most of these integrals require some crazy substitution which make the indefinite integral look really ugly, however with limits in, they simplify to nice numbers.

Also with improper limits like 0 to infinity, that gets rid of some "clutter" that makes the end result aesthetically pleasing, then again... what do I know. :tongue:
Original post by TeeEm

Because integrating a function where an antiderivative exists in terms of elementary functions would be too easy :tongue: :rolleyes:.
Reply 793
Original post by Zacken
Probably a shot in the dark here, but most of these integrals require some crazy substitution which make the indefinite integral look really ugly, however with limits in, they simplify to nice numbers.

Also with improper limits like 0 to infinity, that gets rid of some "clutter" that makes the end result aesthetically pleasing, then again... what do I know. :tongue:

It is kind of a reason.
I think that you're being a bit pessimistic there. It's true that it couldn't be given simply in the form "Do this integral: ...". But it could be a nice multi-part question, with part 1 being "sum this complex series", part 1 being some hints about the orthogonality of sin/cos, and the third part being the integral itself. That would be a decent STEP III question, I think.

Hmmm...

I find that a lot of the questions on the thread are doable (for me) precisely because I've gone through a maths degree - looking for orthogonlity of sin/cos is obvious if you've done any Fourier transforms (and even more so if you took a course in Fourier analysis). Even when I do STEP, I tend to first think of undergrad sledgehammers to crack the nut (of course, I then go and do it the intended way).

What you're saying is right of course - you could figure it out without knowing anything about Fourier stuff, but it's definitely a lot harder without being trained to think that way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that helping out with STEP prep for the last few years, I've learned that a degree just broadens how people think of a problem, even for the most talented of mathmos. With the additional parts, it's a lot more reasonable of course.

Anyway, I've just waffled a lot. I'm going to look at the special functions book to put me asleep, I'm tired! :tongue:
Reply 795
Original post by ThatPerson
Because integrating a function where an antiderivative exists in terms of elementary functions would be too easy :tongue: :rolleyes:.

In my humble opinion it is the opposite.

Indefinite integration is a Caveman which kills you brutally ...
Definite integration is is humane lethal injection.
Original post by TeeEm

Because antiderivatives are mechanical, and therefore of little interest. A computer program can figure out antiderivatives, if they exist - they cannot however, do some of the things done on this thread.

Would you really be amazed if I gave you the antiderivative of tanx2015?\sqrt[2015]{\tan x}? Highly doubt it. Doable, and a pain in the arse for sure, but not actually worth anything. Pages of meaningless drivel.

If however, I told you that xx(1x)1xsinπxx^{x}(1-x)^{1-x}\sin \pi x evaluates to πe241\pi e \cdot 24^{-1} over (0,1)(0,1), then I am sure you - or anyone else here - would think "oh cool, might try and prove that".
Reply 797
Original post by Lord of the Flies
... then I am sure you - or anyone else here - would think "oh cool, might try and prove that".

Wow, I have been put back into my place...
V1.png
Original post by shamika
What you're saying is right of course - you could figure it out without knowing anything about Fourier stuff, but it's definitely a lot harder without being trained to think that way.

Well, I'm not really saying that. What I suggested for a STEP question was the additional bits and then the following statement

... With the additional parts, it's a lot more reasonable of course.

is true. I don't think anyone will solve that via the orthogonality approach unless they've already seen it.

Cool, but the 200-odd pages of tabulated log, cos, sin, and roots dates it somewhat. I think I want a more modern treatment. (I didn't see a single wikipedia link referenced, for example - what were the authors thinking?)

Quick Reply

Latest