The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HapaxOromenon3

Spoiler

Original post by Lord of the Flies

Spoiler

You can't do it?

The answer is in the spoiler below if you give up.

Spoiler

You can't do it?

Er no, I didn't try. Not my jam dawg.
Er no, I didn't try. Not my jam dawg.

OK, you don't have to be so abrupt. Are you looking for a confrontation or something? Feeling insecure about your abilities? Or what is it?
@Zacken @atsruser @physicsmaths @Lord of the Flies

Unparseable latex formula:

\[\int{\frac{x^2+2x+1+\left(3x+1\r)\sqrt{x+{lnx\ }}}{x\sqrt{x+{ln x\ }}\left(x+\sqrt{x+{ln x\ }}\right)}dx}\]

This is making me feel insecure about my abilities. For real.
Why you tag me, you know man can't do this shizzle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, you don't have to be so abrupt. Are you looking for a confrontation or something? Feeling insecure about your abilities? Or what is it?

Yeah... my post is the one looking for a confrontation. Ain't gon work buddy.
@Zacken @atsruser @physicsmaths @Lord of the Flies

\[\int{\frac{x^2+2x+1+\left(3x+1\r)\sqrt{x+{lnx\ }}}{x\sqrt{x+{ln x\ }}\left(x+\sqrt{x+{ln x\ }}\right)}dx}\]

Alrighty then. I think I'm muddying up a more straightforward method with unnecessary working but oh well. Also cba to include constants anywhere and I dunno why the formatting with dx and **** is going so mental

Spoiler

What is DUTIS?
Original post by SamDavies1998
What is DUTIS?

Differenitiation under the integral sign. Consider a function of something(which isn't what your integrating wrt) then differentiate **** and get some easy integral then bang. Integerate vack to get normal ting and get the constant

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is DUTIS?

Spoiler

^ motto of this thread
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

^ motto of this thread

I'll try my best to remember that then.

Could you give me a very basic example of how this works, please? Or, alternatively, could you direct me to a source which explains this technique well. Thanks

Could you give me a very basic example of how this works, please? Or, alternatively, could you direct me to a source which explains this technique well. Thanks

Google is often handy with answering questions :smile: :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign

You rely on the fact the under certain conditions (see end of post), the following equality holds:

\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \int_a^b f(x,\alpha)\ dx = \int_a^b \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} f(x,\alpha)\ dx }

You can then do something like this for integrals that are easy:

1. Easy integrals:

I(\alpha) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\alpha x} \ dx = \frac{1}\alpha}

so that

I'(\alpha) = \int_0^\infty \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} e^{-\alpha x} \ dx = \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \frac{1}\alpha}

giving 0xeαx dx=1α2\int_0^\infty xe^{-\alpha x} \ dx = \frac{1}{\alpha^2} (repeat for higher powers)

So this just simplifies something that you can already do by IBP or whatever. It also works fine for indefinite integrals - you don't need the limits.

or this for integrals which are hard:

2. Hard integrals:

I(α)=0eαxsinxx dxI(α)=0eαxsinx dx=11+α2I(\alpha) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\alpha x} \frac{\sin x}{x} \ dx \Rightarrow I'(\alpha) = - \int_0^\infty e^{-\alpha x} \sin x \ dx = -\frac{1}{1+\alpha^2}

so that

I(α)=Ctan1αI(\alpha) = C-\tan^{-1} \alpha

Now put α=I(α)=0C=π/2\alpha=\infty \Rightarrow I(\alpha) = 0 \Rightarrow C=\pi/2

so I(α)=π2tan1αI(\alpha) = \frac{\pi}{2}-\tan^{-1} \alpha

Now put α=00sinxx dx=π2\alpha=0 \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2}

There's a bit more to it than that (the limits can depend on the parameter too), but that's the rough idea. You take an ordinary integral, introduce a parameter α\alpha somewhere, then differentiate w.r.t to that parameter to play tricks as above. The difficulty is finding where to put α\alpha. Note that I introduced that exponential function above, which helpfully goes to 0 and infinity at the ends of the interval, which remove it completely, giving the nice result at the end.

[The conditions, as I recall, are:

a) if you are integrating over a closed interval [a,b][a,b] (which has a property called compactness), then you can do the above as long as both f(x,α),(f(x,α)αf(x,\alpha), \frac{\partial (f(x,\alpha)}{\partial \alpha} are nice, smooth functions (i.e. continuous & differentiable)

b) if you are integrating over an infinite region like [0,)[0, \infty) (which lacks the property of compactness), then you can do the above as long as property a) above holds, and that an integrable function g(x)g(x) exists that dominates f(x)f(x) i.e. that f(x,α)g(x)f(x,\alpha) \le g(x) everywhere.

(Maybe someone clever can correct this if necessary: paging M. LoTF)]
(edited 7 years ago)
[The statement in that Wikipedia article is quite weak - below is a looser set of conditions]

Original post by atsruser
The conditions, as I recall, are [...]

It is the partial derivative that needs to be dominated, not ff. Also you can merge a) and b) by dropping continuity in the first, since continuity on [a,b]×[α,β][a,b]\times [\alpha,\beta] implies boundedness, by compactness as you mentioned. So:

Suppose we are integrating on XX, and that our parameter has domain YY. If there exists integrable Ω:XR\Omega:X\to\mathbb{R} such that αfΩ|\partial_{\alpha} f|\leqslant \Omega on X×YX\times Y (in fact we only need that to be true almost everywhere on XX) then we can freely differentiate under the integral.

You can relax this domination condition a bit, though it becomes a bit awkward, and perhaps less everyday "useful". If for each αY\alpha\in Y there exists open UααU_{\alpha}\ni\alpha in YY and integrable Ωα:XR\Omega_{\alpha}:X\to\mathbb{R} such that αfΩα|\partial_{\alpha} f|\leqslant \Omega_{\alpha} on X×UαX\times U_{\alpha} then we can pass the derivative under the integral. In other words you don't need ff to be dominated by a single function on the entirety of X×YX\times Y.

[for anyone relatively new to this: I have assumed that X,YX,Y are not pathological, so for the sake of this thread, interpret them as intervals (possibly including infinity)]

It should be noted that these are not necessary conditions: I skimmed through those a while ago, when I asked myself this question, and I don't remember what they were about - they are a fair bit more involved than any of this though, and most likely not relevant to the nature of this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Show that, for a,b>0a,b >0:

0ln(1ebx1eax)+(ab)x dx=π26(1a1b)\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \ln ( \frac{1-e^{bx}}{1-e^{ax}}) + (a-b)x \ dx = \frac{\pi^2}{6}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})

This surprised me when I derived it, but it appears to be correct. It looks like it may be divergent, but the log term tends asymptotically to cancel the linear term in just the right amount.
(edited 7 years ago)
Show that, for a>ca > c:

02πsinn1xcosx(acosn2x+c)(acosnx+c)2+b2sin2nx dx=2πnb\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\sin^{n-1} x \cos x(a \cos^{n-2} x+c)}{(a \cos^n x + c)^2 + b^2 \sin^{2n} x} \ dx = \frac{2\pi}{nb}

Hint:

Spoiler

Show that [...] This surprised me when I derived it, but it appears to be correct.

Do you need any complex magicz for this one? The π26\frac{\pi^2}{6} is shouting at me to think of sums, but my mind is too groggy to do maths at this time.
Original post by Zacken
Do you need any complex magicz for this one? The π26\frac{\pi^2}{6} is shouting at me to think of sums, but my mind is too groggy to do maths at this time.

Well, I don't think that it can be done by elementary methods, since the log part of the integrand turns into a dilogarithm antiderivative. Or did you mean contour integration type stuff? If so, no, I didn't use that. This is within your abilities (if not your knowledge).

You are thinking along the right lines with sums, but there may be a twist. Look back at my recent previous integrals to see where sums arise.

Nostradamus type hint:

Spoiler

Show that [...]

You might want to add some conditions on a & b :biggrin:

Original post by Zacken
Do you need any complex magicz for this one?

It is a one-liner, either quoting the famous sum or quoting the zeta-gamma relation you mentioned earlier.
You might want to add some conditions on a & b :biggrin:

Yes, I'll add them. Thanks.

I'll meditate deeply on your corrected conditions for DUTIS, too. I really ought to try to look at a proof, but I'm too rusty to understand them these days.

It is a one-liner, either quoting the famous sum or quoting the zeta-gamma relation you mentioned earlier.

Having read that, I'd be interested to see how you are intending to do this - I suspect that it may differ from my approach.

Quick Reply

Latest