The Student Room Group

AQA-A A2 English Literature Unit 4

hello!
for all thoses of you who were in the aqa war synoptic thread, (and anyone else intersted) why don't we do the same thing again, helping each other out with quotes and ideas but for the unit 4- keats/blake and othello/other shakespeare on this thread? (tuesday 22nd june)

i'm doing keats and othello. anyone else doing these?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sneezyme
hello!
for all thoses of you who were in the aqa war synoptic thread, (and anyone else intersted) why don't we do the same thing again, helping each other out with quotes and ideas but for the unit 4- keats/blake and othello/other shakespeare on this thread? (tuesday 22nd june)

i'm doing keats and othello. anyone else doing these?

Good luck guys! I did this paper in January and got an A so can try and answer any questions if it helps - really glad I did it now as Tuesday has become the only day next week I don't have an exam :eek: It's not too difficult but I would strongly recommend looking at the mark scheme as the criteria for this are quite specific, and brushing up on context (eg. for me, the effect of Romanticism on Blake) and debating different viewpoints for Othello. Good luck!
Reply 2
oh you're so lucky you did it in jan slowjamz!
could you please tell me what was the othello questions that came up if you can remember them and also what did yo write in your answer for the question you did if yo can remember and don't mind! :smile:
thanks lots!
Reply 3
sneezyme
oh you're so lucky you did it in jan slowjamz!
could you please tell me what was the othello questions that came up if you can remember them and also what did yo write in your answer for the question you did if yo can remember and don't mind! :smile:
thanks lots!

Ooh, this is testing my memory a bit, but I'll try and recall as much as I can :smile: Sorry if I miss anything out though.

Right, from what I remember the question I did was based around "Othello" being the play's title. There were two quotes from critics, one which basically argued that it was only fitting that the play should be named after Othello the hero, and one which argued "Iago" would have been a better title due to the centrality of his role in the play and Othello's weaknesses. I think I basically discussed the concept of "hero" in drama and how it applied to the two of them - ie. reasons why Othello could be deemed a hero and reasons why not, and the same for Iago, and the effect of each of their roles on the play. I'm really struggling to remember what I wrote beyond that unfortunately :confused: I got 90/90 in it though so I must have done something right, and I'll post if I come up with anything more. Hope that helps a tiny bit! And really try not to worry about the exam, I wasn't as well-prepared as I should have been but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Just make sure you're as familiar with your texts as you can be. Fingers crossed for you on Tuesday xx
Reply 4
oh i've read several critical essays on that topic-it should be called iago and not othello..
so basically all i can do is read critical essays, know the play well and learn quotes..
Reply 5
slowjamz that helped! wicked idea sneezy...coz i know that the synoptic thread definately helped me!!
Reply 6
sneezyme
oh i've read several critical essays on that topic-it should be called iago and not othello..
so basically all i can do is read critical essays, know the play well and learn quotes..

Exactly right. If you do that, you're totally on track to do well :smile:
Reply 7
kokopops1
slowjamz that helped! wicked idea sneezy...coz i know that the synoptic thread definately helped me!!

No problems, the synoptic thread really helped me too so glad I can help somebody now! Good luck with the exam :smile:
Reply 8
slowjamz
No problems, the synoptic thread really helped me too so glad I can help somebody now! Good luck with the exam :smile:

aww thanks! im worried about keats....no1 here seems to be doing that
Reply 9
keats is a bit tricky, cos' no matter how much i revise, if a stupid question comes up i won't be able to answer it-for example the childish poetry question.
i hope negative capability comes up!
Reply 10
Im doing othello and blake... having trouble with both! :frown: any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 11
anybody found any useful critcism online about othello?
Reply 12
Anyone else doing the Merchant of Venice?

I am also doing Blake - great thing about Blake is the fact that he's so vague about everything - you can interpret poems to mean whatever is written in the question! 'A Sick Rose' is a good example :wink:
Reply 13
does anybody know what they asked for the keats questions in january? :confused:
Reply 14
these are what websites i know about if anybody's interested:

www.novelguide.com
www.englishbox.xom
www.collegeclub.com
www.antistudy.com
www.bookrags.com

hope they help!
Reply 15
sneezy how r u actually revising for keats?

oo...and negative capability....explain?!? i get soo confused...will be much appreciated if u can
Reply 16
kokopops-for keats our teacher gave us a list of quotes which can be used as question. so from these i did essay plans. also i made my own list of quotes from all the poems i have studied, that need learning for the exam.
i also try and look at notes on websites that i have just posted up.
negative capability...
Reply 17
thanks!!
Reply 18
i did an essay plan on negative capability and these are some of the points i wrote:

-'ode to a nightinglae' ends in an open way, 'Do I wake or sleep?' this shows that keats is in doubt. he is in a double-mind state, negative by being weighed down with thoughts of his death, illness and depression, but positive, by being reminded of the good things in life, such as wine, music and happiness, both at the same time. (you can use small quotes to back up this-eg. 'beaded bubbles winking at the brim'-presents his light, happy mood whereas 'my heart aches and a drowsy numbness pains'-presents his down, depressed mood)

-'The only way of strengthening one's intellect is to make up one's mind about nothing-to let the mind be a thoroughfare for all thoughts. Not a select party' this quote comes from his letters and backs up the idea of negative capability.

-'Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties. Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason.' also a quote from his letters.

-keats was inspired by shakespeare on this idea of neg.cap. ie.shakespeare always leaves his plays with mysteries and unswered questions in it. (eg. we never find out if lady macbeth is pregnant, and we never know the relationship that desdemona and othello before they get married)

hope this helps if you're still unsure just ask! :smile:
Reply 19
hey i got an othello essay essay to write on this, need your help guys!

"the differances that seperate Othello and Desdemona can only lead to tragedy"

"the tragedy is that she really knows nothing about him nor he about her"

discuss these views in realtion to the text, and explain why you think the play ends as it does?

i kinda agree with both these statements. there is clear evidence that othello and desdemona dont understand each other:

"i understand there is a fury in your wods. But i do not understand the fury."
"what ignorant sin have i commited"
-D undermines othello's authority by trying to get cassio reinstated
-Othello has no reason not to trust Desdemona she is presneted as being honest - " to preserve this vessel for my lord"
-D clearly thinks that women dont commit adultery, othello does "cukhold me"
-O is clealry jealous, D thinks hes not a jealous man

But is the tragedy that they actually fail to understand eahc other rather than the outcome of the play? or is it that iago merely exploits these differences beyond the imagination?

how would you guys tackle this question?

Latest

Trending

Trending