The Student Room Group

What healthy meals do you guys make??

Hi Guys!! I'm doing a research project on what food people buy / cook and their opinions of shopping for healthy food in Sainsbury's. If you could throw out some thoughts on this I would be really grateful! Thanks,
J
Reply 1
Chicken, and lots of it.
A general food shop for me is Porridge oats, bagels, peanut butter, bananas, brocolli, blueberries, spinach, chicken breasts (can't be arsed messing about with chicken on the bone), greek yoghurt, chorizo, feta cheese, cous cous. I shop at Aldi so don't know too much about healthy stuff at Sainsbury's.

By far the easiest/good meal I eat every day has to be a tin of tuna with cous cous and chopped feta cheese in a bowl together. A little bit of boiling water for the cous cous mix in the tuna and feta and hey presto.
Omellette with tomato and cheese preferably feta easy to make
and chicken breasts
Potato cakes, and feta.

Then melt it. Melt it real good.

EDIT: Hmmm... may not be that healthy sorry....
Reply 6
Original post by Johnpolo
Omellette with tomato and cheese preferably feta easy to make
and chicken breasts

Every single day?
Reply 7
Hi Guys thanks for your comments! What do you think Sainsburys could do to appeal to you as people buying healthier food? Is there anything you think they could do to appeal to students buying food from there?

Thanks again for you help on this project of ours!!

J
Reply 8
Original post by LancsFood
Hi Guys!! I'm doing a research project on what food people buy / cook and their opinions of shopping for healthy food in Sainsbury's. If you could throw out some thoughts on this I would be really grateful! Thanks,
J

Lots of chicken, sweet potato, and veggies. Also whole grain rice/pasta is good, and other lean meats like extra lean mince or fish
Reply 9
normally frozen veg (of all sorts) rice, a tonne of fruit, sometimes pasta, tuna, peanut butter, almond milk. But a normal meal consists of veg, tuna and rice, a bit plain for some but it's healthy and gets the the job done. Then a few fruit smoothies here and there, my housemates don't seem to understand how i can eat veg on it's own, ah well
Reply 10
Original post by amachine
normally frozen veg (of all sorts) rice, a tonne of fruit, sometimes pasta, tuna, peanut butter, almond milk. But a normal meal consists of veg, tuna and rice, a bit plain for some but it's healthy and gets the the job done. Then a few fruit smoothies here and there, my housemates don't seem to understand how i can eat veg on it's own, ah well

Do you think if Sainsbury's was to make a health section targeted at students you would be interested? Or how do you think Sainsbury's could encourage you to choose them??
Reply 11
Original post by TwoTribes94
A general food shop for me is Porridge oats, bagels, peanut butter, bananas, brocolli, blueberries, spinach, chicken breasts (can't be arsed messing about with chicken on the bone), greek yoghurt, chorizo, feta cheese, cous cous. I shop at Aldi so don't know too much about healthy stuff at Sainsbury's.

By far the easiest/good meal I eat every day has to be a tin of tuna with cous cous and chopped feta cheese in a bowl together. A little bit of boiling water for the cous cous mix in the tuna and feta and hey presto.

Why do you shop at Aldi rather than Sainsbury's? What do you think Sainsbury's could do to make you pick them as a student rather than any others!

Thanks again for helping me out on my project!!!

J
Do you think if Sainsbury's was to make a health section targeted at students you would be interested? Or how do you think Sainsbury's could encourage you to choose them??

I think the price would make somebody consider it, personally i'm not swayed by which supermarket i go to as long as the food is reasonably priced, but i doubt a particular section in sainsbury's would interest me.
I'm currently obsessed with a sort of couscous/roasted veg salad that I invented based on cheap things in aldi. see below

In small roasting vessel (I use the lid of a :
1 clove garlic (thinly sliced)
1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
portabello mushroom (chunks)
cherry tomatoes (quartered)
salt, pepper, either dried oregano, basil and smoked paprika OR premixed vindaloo curry powder and tumeric
25 mins in oven, add chopped green beans and a handful of bashed nuts - cook for 5 more mins or until nuts are slightly browned
2 tbsp wholewheat couscous, soaked in water or 3 tbsp cooked quinoa in bowl
2 handfuls chopped spinach in bowl
roasted veg and nuts in bowl. eat. Sometimes I add feta, sometimes chicken and less nuts. Depends on the herbs/spices and what I've got in fridge/how hungry I am
Everything is healthy in moderation. Over doing it with anything could be unhealthy.
There is no bad food unless it's spoiled.
Quinoa. It's a superfood. Nuff said.
I am firm believer that if you eat a healthy balanced diet and eat those for 'forbidden' foods in moderation, then this is healthy. There is an attitude in Britain that people need to deprive themselves of a particular treat, however this usually backfires and makes the task of eating healthily even more difficult. There is nothing wrong with eating some chocolate or cake as long as it is done in moderation; this is very much an attitude which is adopted across Europe and there you will find much lower levels of obesity and other issues related to overeating.

I like to eat a wide selection of fruit and vegetables everyday with some nice lean meat or even some fish; I replaced butter with olive oil a long time ago and try not to eat too much bread, just these two changes alone have ensured that I feel so much better.

At the moment I am training for a sports event so I am having to supplement this with wholegrain rice and pasta, which is a bonus for me as I could eat pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner :wink:

Nat
xx
Why do you shop at Aldi rather than Sainsbury's? What do you think Sainsbury's could do to make you pick them as a student rather than any others!

Thanks again for helping me out on my project!!!

J

Just find most things that I buy at Aldi at that price are of superior quality to the same from Sainsburys of the same sort of price range.

Quality, price and value for money :smile:.
jsjdjs
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest