The Student Room Group
Reply 1
most people i know who get jobs when they're home for summer don't make it known that they'll be leaving at the end of the summer.
broughy
most people i know who get jobs when they're home for summer don't make it known that they'll be leaving at the end of the summer.

i can just lie and say that im taking a gap year :wink:
Or why say at all?

On all the job application forms I've filled out and been honest that I'm a student, I've never heard anything form back. The jobs which I haven't said I'm a student, I've generally heard back from! It's a known thing that employers want to steer clear of students as they generally have other committments such as study which will compete with work. I remember I was in Bay buying a top and at the till the manager was speaking to someone interested in a job. She sounded really enthusiastic, but then said 'Oh, you're a student, that could be a bit of a problem' and her tone changed completely!

The only time now when I say I'm at University is if it will help me in the job, for example with me, my course involves periods of teaching practice, so that's experience of working with children in sport etc.
Reply 4
when I was applying during a gap year people wouldnt take me because i was only going to be there a year and they didnt want to know! Don't tell them.
Reply 5
Just don't say anything, there's no need. Like with holidays and things, say in the interview that you are free all the time... then when you do have the job - just suddenly remember well actually you do need time off/are going to leave!

-x-
lovelee-jublee
Or why say at all?

On all the job application forms I've filled out and been honest that I'm a student, I've never heard anything form back. The jobs which I haven't said I'm a student, I've generally heard back from! It's a known thing that employers want to steer clear of students as they generally have other committments such as study which will compete with work. I remember I was in Bay buying a top and at the till the manager was speaking to someone interested in a job. She sounded really enthusiastic, but then said 'Oh, you're a student, that could be a bit of a problem' and her tone changed completely!

The only time now when I say I'm at University is if it will help me in the job, for example with me, my course involves periods of teaching practice, so that's experience of working with children in sport etc.

lol yeah i suppose that may work, even though it will probably totally cock all my exams up because il always be working :biggrin:
i asked shops for a summer job and they were like, don't say its a summer job!! apply for a job now and leave in time for uni :s-smilie: :confused: oh well

Latest

Trending

Trending