The Student Room Group

running from home

hey guys, so ive been wanting to run away from home for ages, im 18, a brown girl. I wanted to run after my last a level, 16 June- but without telling me my mum has booked tickets to see some family 30 june-6 July. im meant to have been gone by then but I also have a prom on the 5th of July, idk what to do, I have a plan to run away, where to go and what to do etc, im scared and I need some advice. my parents are tooooo controlling and I hate it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jayjay1222
hey guys, so ive been wanting to run away from home for ages, im 18, a brown girl. I wanted to run after my last a level, 16 June- but without telling me my mum has booked tickets to see some family 30 june-6 July. im meant to have been gone by then but I also have a prom on the 5th of July, idk what to do, I have a plan to run away, where to go and what to do etc, im scared and I need some advice. my parents are tooooo controlling and I hate it

Maybe have a talk with your parents about them being too controlling. You could explain to your parents that you're 18 now and you don't like how controlling they are. If that does not work, then maybe consider running away, but let your parents know because they probably love you and would be worried if they didn't know where you were. If you decide to run away you could stay at a friend's house or at a family member's house.
Hope this helps
I have talked to them and they keep saying they're trying to protect me, but they're not - they won't even let me get a job, I have nothing
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe have a talk with your parents about them being too controlling. You could explain to your parents that you're 18 now and you don't like how controlling they are. If that does not work, then maybe consider running away, but let your parents know because they probably love you and would be worried if they didn't know where you were. If you decide to run away you could stay at a friend's house or at a family member's house.
Hope this helps
Reply 3
I have talked to them and they keep saying they're trying to protect me, but they're not - they won't even let me get a job, I have nothing

Maybe wait for some time and then talk to them about it again. You could prove to your parents that you are old enough to have a job and be more independent. If this does not work then maybe your best bet is to run away but maybe inform your parents about this first because they might be concerned, maybe tell them something like you want to become more independent since you're an adult now and you are going wherever you are planning to go.
ive tried many times, they won't let me do anything I was gonna run away and then call them and tell them I won't be coming home
Maybe wait for some time and then talk to them about it again. You could prove to your parents that you are old enough to have a job and be more independent. If this does not work then maybe your best bet is to run away but maybe inform your parents about this first because they might be concerned, maybe tell them something like you want to become more independent since you're an adult now and you are going wherever you are planning to go.

1. What ever happens they are your parents.
2. If you run away it will break their hearts.
3. You won't realise their value until you lose them
4. Parents can be very annoying sometimes it's part of parenthood.
5. I do think brown girls are beautiful.
6. You're a teenager you are bound to want to be in control of yourself at all times .
I get that, but what about all the stuff they've done to me and they dont seem to care? at some point I have to think abt myself and not them. in the future ill be the one struggling bc I have no damn skills or anything to help me, but they dont get it. is it so bad for a kid to WANT to be independent? I dont think so but its the worst thing for them, if I dont leave now the only way I go is thru a marriage.
Original post by Kendra Okodogbe
1. What ever happens they are your parents.
2. If you run away it will break their hearts.
3. You won't realise their value until you lose them
4. Parents can be very annoying sometimes it's part of parenthood.
5. I do think brown girls are beautiful.
6. You're a teenager you are bound to want to be in control of yourself at all times .
Reply 7
ive tried many times, they won't let me do anything I was gonna run away and then call them and tell them I won't be coming home

Yes, you could do that if you wanted, if you know where you are going to go when you run away and know where you are going to live then go for it after the trip to see your family
Reply 8
How controlling are we talking? Can u even go to uni?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Where would you go? do you have money?
I get that, but what about all the stuff they've done to me and they dont seem to care? at some point I have to think abt myself and not them. in the future ill be the one struggling bc I have no damn skills or anything to help me, but they dont get it. is it so bad for a kid to WANT to be independent? I dont think so but its the worst thing for them, if I dont leave now the only way I go is thru a marriage.

if you have no money, no job and no place to say running away is a horrible solution to this problem, youll end up back in your parents care before you know it and they will likely by 10x more controlling. If you are going to uni this year and arent moving out try an negotiate that with them giving a friend they trust that is moving out as an example. i dont know if you came on here for people to validate the idea but i doubt anyone will agree with your plan, you will end up in a worse situation dont do it!!
I have money, a place to stay and I can get a job and im in the process of buying a car, I have it all sorted out im scared to just actually go
if you have no money, no job and no place to say running away is a horrible solution to this problem, youll end up back in your parents care before you know it and they will likely by 10x more controlling. If you are going to uni this year and arent moving out try an negotiate that with them giving a friend they trust that is moving out as an example. i dont know if you came on here for people to validate the idea but i doubt anyone will agree with your plan, you will end up in a worse situation dont do it!!
Original post by dennis.
How controlling are we talking? Can u even go to uni?

controlling as in they have access to my bank, phone location always gotta be on, they have cameras in the house and outside my room, I can't get a job, I can't see my friends, its just college and back
I have a place I can stay and yes I have money
Where would you go? do you have money?

Okay, you make the choices I give the suggestions but I just hope you have somewhere to live, a source of income and things you need to live.
I do, I have all 3
Okay, you make the choices I give the suggestions but I just hope you have somewhere to live, a source of income and things you need to live.
I have money, a place to stay and I can get a job and im in the process of buying a car, I have it all sorted out im scared to just actually go

get the job first so you know you have stable income and your car sorted including planning how youre going to pay for everything long term especially if youre paying rent, as well as what you plan to do after you leave. But if im honest, i also have friends who are south asian so i know the honor culture that some families do have and if this is the same with your family to leaving your house might mean leaving your entire family like siblings cousins auties uncles, if you dont mind that then that alright but its huge to think about the decision to run away will likely have a huge impact on your life.
the job I already have, I have done the interview etc, the car is also sorted, I know where to stay and the money for that is sorted, I have no other family that live here, they live in other countries, my own brother barely talks to me as well as my dad, my mum does but barely too, no one talks to me
get the job first so you know you have stable income and your car sorted including planning how youre going to pay for everything long term especially if youre paying rent, as well as what you plan to do after you leave. But if im honest, i also have friends who are south asian so i know the honor culture that some families do have and if this is the same with your family to leaving your house might mean leaving your entire family like siblings cousins auties uncles, if you dont mind that then that alright but its huge to think about the decision to run away will likely have a huge impact on your life.
I do, I have all 3

If I were you I would not run I will just tell them and if they refuse then and only then will I sprint off never to be found again. But they can still call you right?
if they find out, I won't step foot out that house again tbf. I was gonna factory reset my phone and then call my mum later that day / night and tell her I wont be coming back but I am safe

If I were you I would not run I will just tell them and if they refuse then and only then will I sprint off never to be found again. But they can still call you right?
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending