The Student Room Group

Grades fit for Uni choices?

Hello,

I've had a tough first year in AS even if I knew I could have done way better.
AS Grades Achieved: BBEU
A Level Predicted Grades: AAC

I'm in my second year now but I will be redoing my AS exams and coursework to make sure that I improve my AS grades while studying even harder for A2. My school believes in me which is why they have predicted my final grades to be AAC. (AA in Double ICT & C in Mathematics).

Most Universities that I am hoping to get into have ABB entry requirements (B in Maths) for the course Computer Science. I am worried that my low AS grades and Predicted C in maths will not lead to achieving any offers from the Unis I am interested in. I'm quite confident with having a good personal statement and reference but it's just the grades that worry me.

I will be sending my UCAS application off soon but I'd like to know if it's worth taking a risk putting down about 3x ABB Unis + 2x BBB Unis as choices. If not, what do you think I should do?
Reply 1
I think you can always afford to take a bit of a risk, just make sure you have some safety unis which you are sure will give you offers :smile:
Original post by Ajsc
Hello,

I've had a tough first year in AS even if I knew I could have done way better.
AS Grades Achieved: BBEU
A Level Predicted Grades: AAC

I'm in my second year now but I will be redoing my AS exams and coursework to make sure that I improve my AS grades while studying even harder for A2. My school believes in me which is why they have predicted my final grades to be AAC. (AA in Double ICT & C in Mathematics).

Most Universities that I am hoping to get into have ABB entry requirements (B in Maths) for the course Computer Science. I am worried that my low AS grades and Predicted C in maths will not lead to achieving any offers from the Unis I am interested in. I'm quite confident with having a good personal statement and reference but it's just the grades that worry me.

I will be sending my UCAS application off soon but I'd like to know if it's worth taking a risk putting down about 3x ABB Unis + 2x BBB Unis as choices. If not, what do you think I should do?

I think you might be stretching it a bit. I would certainly look for 2 of your choices being universities who make point based offers and don't require a B in Maths so that you cover all the basis in case you get rejected or do not meet the grades. Also where they state a B in Maths they are unlikely to accept a C.
Further to my earlier reply many universities do not require A level Maths for Computer Science and I understand the following may not so might be worth looking into
Keele
Reading
Kent
Royal Holloway
Swansea
Queen Mary
If possible you would be better off using somewhere offering 300-320 points than ABB-BBB as your insurance offer as you would get in with AAD but possibly not in a uni offering BBB. I believe Aston might be worth you looking into
My first thought was that E to C is a bit of a jump...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending