The Student Room Group

In need of some advice, following the recent NHS Bursary debacle...

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm posting because I really need some sort of advice and guidance... I recently became interested in the Nursing profession (Adult Nursing is the branch that I was looking at), but by the time I had figured out what I wanted to do, it was already too late to apply for 2015 entry. Now I actually don't currently have any qualifications in any sort of science subject (I did English Literature, History and ICT at A-level and then a degree in Business & Marketing; 2:1), so I was planning on spending the year gaining some work experience (I currently volunteer at a care centre for elderly people with dementia and I have applied for a voluntary role at St Johns Ambulance as an Event First Aider) and then applying for an Access to Nursing Course in 2016; upon passing that I was hoping to then move on to a Nursing degree.

Now I live in London and I did just go to an open day at Kingston University. While I was there I asked someone who worked at admissions for advice and they said that I might perhaps considering doing some modules at the Open University that start in January/February and then attempting an application, with the modules placed as pending results... but otherwise it would be impossible to start a degree before the NHS Bursary is taken away. I really have no idea if it's even worth doing individual modules though. It would have to be a hard science (such as Biology), but even with that under my belt I just can't see myself standing out as a worthwhile applicant with such little work experience and just the one (or two?) Open University modules under my belt. I'm also not really comfortable with the idea of rushing into a degree like this as I worry that it'll end up making me a worse Nurse in the long run (and ultimately, I should be putting my future patients ahead of myself).

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience of applying for a degree with similar post-school/college qualifications. What qualifications did you have when you were accepted or rejected? Is there a particular one that I should be looking at other than an Access Course that I could possibly do before September 2016 entry? I get the feeling that if I'm ever going to find acceptance for Nursing University study, that I am going to have to take the Access Course route; which means another £27,000 tuition fee, should I aim for September 2017 entry (if Student Finance would even let me take out another Student Loan that is!) placed on top of a £10,000 student loan that I still have from my last degree. A fee so high that I don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back :frown: (and it's not like a Nurse's salary is particularly lavish either, it's not what you go into it for...). I'd probably still go for the degree, but I'd likely be paying it back for the rest of my life :frown: (and if I should fail the degree... I don't even want to think about it...)

If anyone has any advice for a person in my position, I'd be glad to hear it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D-Student
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm posting because I really need some sort of advice and guidance... I recently became interested in the Nursing profession (Adult Nursing is the branch that I was looking at), but by the time I had figured out what I wanted to do, it was already too late to apply for 2015 entry. Now I actually don't currently have any qualifications in any sort of science subject (I did English Literature, History and ICT at A-level and then a degree in Business & Marketing; 2:1), so I was planning on spending the year gaining some work experience (I currently volunteer at a care centre for elderly people with dementia and I have applied for a voluntary role at St Johns Ambulance as an Event First Aider) and then applying for an Access to Nursing Course in 2016; upon passing that I was hoping to then move on to a Nursing degree.

Now I live in London and I did just go to an open day at Kingston University. While I was there I asked someone who worked at admissions for advice and they said that I might perhaps considering doing some modules at the Open University that start in January/February and then attempting an application, with the modules placed as pending results... but otherwise it would be impossible to start a degree before the NHS Bursary is taken away. I really have no idea if it's even worth doing individual modules though. It would have to be a hard science (such as Biology), but even with that under my belt I just can't see myself standing out as a worthwhile applicant with such little work experience and just the one (or two?) Open University modules under my belt. I'm also not really comfortable with the idea of rushing into a degree like this as I worry that it'll end up making me a worse Nurse in the long run (and ultimately, I should be putting my future patients ahead of myself).

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience of applying for a degree with similar post-school/college qualifications. What qualifications did you have when you were accepted or rejected? Is there a particular one that I should be looking at other than an Access Course that I could possibly do before September 2016 entry? I get the feeling that if I'm ever going to find acceptance for Nursing University study, that I am going to have to take the Access Course route; which means another £27,000 tuition fee, should I aim for September 2017 entry (if Student Finance would even let me take out another Student Loan that is!) placed on top of a £10,000 student loan that I still have from my last degree. A fee so high that I don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back :frown: (and it's not like a Nurse's salary is particularly lavish either, it's not what you go into it for...). I'd probably still go for the degree, but I'd likely be paying it back for the rest of my life :frown: (and if I should fail the degree... I don't even want to think about it...)

If anyone has any advice for a person in my position, I'd be glad to hear it.

Hey, I m sorry to hear how the changes have affected you :frown: my first thought is are you able to apply to universities that don't require science at level 3 as (especially) if you are flexible on location there should be many options available (many of my fellow students have done well in biology so far without a level 3 quals in it) . If so you could apply for a spring 2017 intake and you should just be in time to be eligible for bursary .
Also don't doubt your experience as it sounds like you have more than I had when I applied :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your kind words :smile:

Well, I've only been volunteering at the care centre for just about 2 months now, so not very long, but I do really enjoy it :smile: And I am still waiting for my application for St Johns to go through (I got through the interview stage at least).

So yeah, early days still... which is kind of the problem in this case...

Still, any words from anyone (both negative and positive) who has experience with applying with non-A Level/BTEC qualifications would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your kind words :smile:

Well, I've only been volunteering at the care centre for just about 2 months now, so not very long, but I do really enjoy it :smile: And I am still waiting for my application for St Johns to go through (I got through the interview stage at least).

So yeah, early days still... which is kind of the problem in this case...

Still, any words from anyone (both negative and positive) who has experience with applying with non-A Level/BTEC qualifications would be greatly appreciated!

I had 2 months of experience, in two different mental health settings and got interviews at all my choices, so I think you ve got a great start so far and its possible you ll have more experience than other applicants already :smile: .
I got onto the course with a HNC as I didn't have the a level requirements, however that would mean you d have to start in september so wouldn't solve the problem of missing out on bursary. I have 2 friends who applied with non-science degrees and no science a levels who got on the course so there must be some way round it. Would you consider other london universities? (Greenwich and Hertfordshire dont mention it being neccesary to have sciences)
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I had 2 months of experience, in two different mental health settings and got interviews at all my choices, so I think you ve got a great start so far and its possible you ll have more experience than other applicants already :smile: .
I got onto the course with a HNC as I didn't have the a level requirements, however that would mean you d have to start in september so wouldn't solve the problem of missing out on bursary. I have 2 friends who applied with non-science degrees and no science a levels who got on the course so there must be some way round it. Would you consider other london universities? (Greenwich and Hertfordshire dont mention it being neccesary to have sciences)

Well that's comforting to hear :smile:

Maybe it's worth giving it a go?

Thanks for the kind words :smile: Any more comments from anyone else will be much appreciated though!
Well that's comforting to hear :smile:

Maybe it's worth giving it a go?

Thanks for the kind words :smile: Any more comments from anyone else will be much appreciated though!

I certainly think its worth a go:smile:
Hey!

It is worth doing to see if you can work your way through OU modules. Many people have done this in the past. And don't forget, there are always applicants with no experience or very little each year that still get in. Yes experience helps, but it isn't everything. You could be working in a shop and still be able to apply skills from that to nursing.
Don't forget it's your personal statement and your interview scores that ultimately decide if you are successful or not.
Your application just needs to stand out!

With the impending changes and yet no clarification on what the student loan company will be doing etc (awful situation I know!) You are better off applying sooner if possible.
However, if it is an option, look at other parts of the UK.
I am from England but study in NI. The bursary is non means tested and we are entitled to a loan. The changes proposed by the government are for England only currently. So if you are able, look at other universities outside of England. It is only 3 years and will be worth it.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by deviant182

With the impending changes and yet no clarification on what the student loan company will be doing etc (awful situation I know!) You are better off applying sooner if possible.
However, if it is an option, look at other parts of the UK.
I am from England but study in NI. The bursary is non means tested and we are entitled to a loan. The changes proposed by the government are for England only currently. So if you are able, look at other universities outside of England. It is only 3 years and will be worth it.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, it's currently England only? I didn't know that! Well I'll definately have to look that up then! Because I'd rather take my time if I can.

Thank you for all the advice! You've all been very kind! :biggrin:

Any other words from anyone else are still very much appreciated though!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I think I'm leaning towards going the Access Course route and then doing my degree studies outside of England...

Just gotta hope that the bursaries last long enough for 2017-2018 applicants to not be affected by it... I'd rather not be saddled with a £27,000 debt if I can help it, but I don't really feel that I am in a good position to start so soon. Doesn't feel right and it doesn't feel fair on anyone else that I may end up caring for.

Thanks for everything! :smile:
You have a 2:1 degree, isn't that enough? I would have thought so. If you willing to move around or change the university you want to go to. I can't see the problem?

Nursing isn't science hard and all that is taught on the course anyhow...

Here's BCU Birmingham, entry requirements, your current qualifications seem to exceed what they are asking for. http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-adult
Reply 11
Original post by Speed1987
You have a 2:1 degree, isn't that enough? I would have thought so. If you willing to move around or change the university you want to go to. I can't see the problem?

Nursing isn't science hard and all that is taught on the course anyhow...

Here's BCU Birmingham, entry requirements, your current qualifications seem to exceed what they are asking for. http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-adult

None of my qualifications are relevant to the health sector unfortunately. All the universities I have looked at (including the one you linked me to) require me to have some sort of science, health or social care qualification. That's why I'm looking to get something of the sort under my belt.
None of my qualifications are relevant to the health sector unfortunately. All the universities I have looked at (including the one you linked me to) require me to have some sort of science, health or social care qualification. That's why I'm looking to get something of the sort under my belt.

Look at Queens University Belfast.
BCC with a science or BBC if not.
Minimum 3rd class honours if you gave a degree too. So not all universities ask for a science.
Have you spoken to that university? As I completed nursing with several people whom have degrees in unrelated subjects such as Law. I don't remember some of them having any L3 qualifications, related to science, in fact half of them couldn't tell you where their brain was, most thought is was located between their legs, speak to the actual course leaders.

I know from completing nursing health/science at l3... you don't really need it, it's just to show your commitment and academic potential which you have already done so. Trust me, nursing is about being academically able, you already have some experience, therefore you are really in my eyes ready.

However if is still not possible, BCU say there's a qualification you can complete through the open university. If you got your head down, you could enrol now and complete for Jan intake.
Actually my friend applied to BCU, thinking back she was rejected because she achieved a 2:2 in her degree. They informed her she needed a 2:1, that's all... Have you actually spoken to the course leader for adult nursing.
Reply 15
I haven't spoken to them yet, but I will give it a try. Thank you :smile:
Reply 16

Hi,

I started Occupational Therapy this year with similar qualifications. I did History, ICT and Economics&Business at A Level and have History degree 2.2. Because my degree was over 5 years old I had to provide evidence of recent study and I did this by completing a distance learning course in Sociology. I was only just starting this when I applied so it is perfectly fine to say you are awaiting the results of study. Is this something you can perhaps do if you're degree is too old?

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if you've already mentioned that!
I also reckon you've got plenty of experience due to your voluntary work.
Reply 17
A big thank you to everyone who has kindly offered their advice to me here. I am enormously grateful to everyone who has looked to help me here :smile: I'm the kind of person who tends to lack confidence in myself and I don't tend to have much faith in my capabilities or what I have done so far, so what might seem obvious to you is not always obvious to me.

I am looking to contact admissions for both Queen's University Belfast and Birmingham City University on Monday (I've been fighting for time this week and have only just gotten round to assessing the situation at hand in regards to potentially doing an Open University Course and I tried to contact them today, but was unable to speak to anyone)

If they tell me that my current qualifications alongside a K101 (An introduction to health and social care) Open University course would be acceptable for entry, I will go ahead and apply for that (which starts on 06 Feb 2016 and ends September 2016 - just in time for when my Nursing BSc would be starting) and attempt to apply for those two Unis, alongside Kings College London and Kingston University (two other London universities I was hoping to apply for originally) alongside a 5th one that I am currently undecided upon.

Sorry if it all seems unnecessary for me to tell any of you this, but I feel that it helps solidify things in my mind if I announce it publicly (AKA the whole, "It's announced, it's in the programme", effect :wink: ) and helps me to focus on what I want to do, before I let myself forget it!

It would be a big struggle for me to do this financially right now, but I should be able to just about barely do this if it ends up working out as I am hoping. To tell the truth, I'm still very scared about everything I'm doing here, but I am willing to face that fear and go for it! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I have a previous degree in psychology and an nvq level 3 in care but these are all out of date. I'm doing k101 with the OU at the moment and it's enough proof of study at the approaite level for the uni I want to go to. I won't actually get my results for K101 until October 2016, despite it finishing in May 2016. My tutor says he will predict my results based on assignments throughout the year and that will be enough for the uni. You only need 40% to pass and it's not hard. Your experience will count for loads. You could do a few of the free open learning courses run by the OU as well?
A big thank you to everyone who has kindly offered their advice to me here. I am enormously grateful to everyone who has looked to help me here :smile: I'm the kind of person who tends to lack confidence in myself and I don't tend to have much faith in my capabilities or what I have done so far, so what might seem obvious to you is not always obvious to me.

I am looking to contact admissions for both Queen's University Belfast and Birmingham City University on Monday (I've been fighting for time this week and have only just gotten round to assessing the situation at hand in regards to potentially doing an Open University Course and I tried to contact them today, but was unable to speak to anyone)

If they tell me that my current qualifications alongside a K101 (An introduction to health and social care) Open University course would be acceptable for entry, I will go ahead and apply for that (which starts on 06 Feb 2016 and ends September 2016 - just in time for when my Nursing BSc would be starting) and attempt to apply for those two Unis, alongside Kings College London and Kingston University (two other London universities I was hoping to apply for originally) alongside a 5th one that I am currently undecided upon.

Sorry if it all seems unnecessary for me to tell any of you this, but I feel that it helps solidify things in my mind if I announce it publicly (AKA the whole, "It's announced, it's in the programme", effect :wink: ) and helps me to focus on what I want to do, before I let myself forget it!

It would be a big struggle for me to do this financially right now, but I should be able to just about barely do this if it ends up working out as I am hoping. To tell the truth, I'm still very scared about everything I'm doing here, but I am willing to face that fear and go for it! :smile:

Why not apply for Coventry University, you don't need a-level science as you already have a degree which is enough
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/health-and-life-sciences/undergraduate-nhs-degree/2016-17/adult-nursing-bsc-hons/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending