The Student Room Group

Is the subconcious mind capable of this VVBELOWVV

Exactly what can the subconcious do/hide? If the subconcious can make anagrams, remember the smallest details in their day life and remember it in their dreams, have defense mechanisms and all of those things things then why cant it repress sexuality to the point of concious non-existence? If it cant then why? Is my understanding of the subconcious mind wrong?

The way I see it everyone can subconciouly be ANYTHING, they can hide their inner desires (subconciously), for all we know everyone can be a paedophile/homosexual/bestaliate but why does no one think that? Why is latent homosexuality wrong or not believed in?

If the subconcious can do all of that then why does no one believe Freuds theories of the subconcious, specifically latent homosexuality. WHY is it not believed in? Is there a scientific reason apart from how stupid it sounds? I need specific answers instead of generalised answers, if you get what im saying. For example this is the type of answers im NOT looking for:

E.g. 1) Sigmund Frued was a coke addict you cant believe him E.g. 2) His theories have been disproven and they're not reliable E.g. 3) His subconcious theories are frowned upon

I'm looking for detailed and specific answer exclusive to the topic of latent homosexuality and the power of the subconcious. E.g. 1) The subconcious mind can only do [WHATEVER] and it is not strong enough to do [WHATEVER]

Those were just examples of specific
anwers im hoping to get instead of the usual generalised ones..I need detailed answers, backed up by facts, preferrably with evidence like links to a site etc.
Reply 1
seems interesting
i'm not smart enough or well informed enough to understand this and argue it
but it interests me
so im bumping you and subbing :tongue:
Original post by TSR-QUESTIONER
Exactly what can the subconcious do/hide? If the subconcious can make anagrams, remember the smallest details in their day life and remember it in their dreams, have defense mechanisms and all of those things things then why cant it repress sexuality to the point of concious non-existence? If it cant then why? Is my understanding of the subconcious mind wrong?

The way I see it everyone can subconciouly be ANYTHING, they can hide their inner desires (subconciously), for all we know everyone can be a paedophile/homosexual/bestaliate but why does no one think that? Why is latent homosexuality wrong or not believed in?

If the subconcious can do all of that then why does no one believe Freuds theories of the subconcious, specifically latent homosexuality. WHY is it not believed in? Is there a scientific reason apart from how stupid it sounds? I need specific answers instead of generalised answers, if you get what im saying. For example this is the type of answers im NOT looking for:

E.g. 1) Sigmund Frued was a coke addict you cant believe him E.g. 2) His theories have been disproven and they're not reliable E.g. 3) His subconcious theories are frowned upon

I'm looking for detailed and specific answer exclusive to the topic of latent homosexuality and the power of the subconcious. E.g. 1) The subconcious mind can only do [WHATEVER] and it is not strong enough to do [WHATEVER]

anwers im hoping to get instead of the usual generalised ones..I need detailed answers, backed up by facts, preferrably with evidence like links to a site etc.

Perhaps because there are certain premises to these characteristics? (Well, characteristics are correlated with certain premises.)

Not all brains giving rise to the subconscious are the same.
(Well, none would be the same, but for any consistencies.)

Edit: So I doubt the subconscious can be anything...

Firstly, why do you think the subconscious exists?

What you need.... is to do your own research!

Generally though modern psychology do believe that there is an unconscious mind that does a lot of our behaviours (e.g. we rarely consciously think about riding a bike or driving a car). I don't know much about freud but alot of it just sounds like story telling then actual science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending