The Student Room Group

Can a uni force you to suspend studies?

As the title says. It's just something I'm curious about as my friend was told she should suspend her studies; she has agreed to; but did she have to if she wanted to? Surely it should be up to her if she feels capable of studying or not, and dealing with the consequences if she realises she changes her mind
Original post by Anonymous
As the title says. It's just something I'm curious about as my friend was told she should suspend her studies; she has agreed to; but did she have to if she wanted to? Surely it should be up to her if she feels capable of studying or not, and dealing with the consequences if she realises she changes her mind

I can think of many scenarios when it would be sensible / advisable to suspend your studies, but I can't think of any where it should be compulsory.

Ultimately what the university can and cannot do will be down to what's written in their academic regulations, which can obviously vary between universities. So if you want to know whether this particular university can force a suspension of studies, you should check their regulations.
Reply 2
Not usually, but they can withdraw you. So if them's the choices...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending