The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

BSc Occupational Therapy

I realised I just missed the university's open day. I haven't managed to arrange a campus tour yet but would really need to find out a few things to help consider if this course is suitable for me. Any comment would be much appreciated.

1. Typically, what time do the classes start and end?
2. What is the average study time in a week including classroom and independent learning?
3. What does the independent learning involve?
4. How many hours are you expected to work when on placement?

Thanks in advance! :h:
Original post by cosmicjr
I realised I just missed the university's open day. I haven't managed to arrange a campus tour yet but would really need to find out a few things to help consider if this course is suitable for me. Any comment would be much appreciated.

1. Typically, what time do the classes start and end?
2. What is the average study time in a week including classroom and independent learning?
3. What does the independent learning involve?
4. How many hours are you expected to work when on placement?

Thanks in advance! :h:

Hi there! If you want to arrange a tour - contact [email protected] and I'd be happy to set something up for you (if you can give me dates/times that would be appreciated!) We will also be arranging Applicant Web Chats and on-campus tours on Friday 22nd Jan, Friday 5th Feb and Friday 19th Feb at 2pm each day. Again, let me know if you can attend one and I'll happily book you in :smile:

To answer your questions:
-Timetables would be released just prior to each semester so I couldn't give you that detail. You wouldn't be in class Mon-Fri 9-5 for example, as you would have 'in-class' time and independent study time. You may find you have a day off, others may be in each day but not for the full day. Every university will be the same, as we don't have 'typical' timetables I'm afraid!
-For study, you should estimate a full time workload, so around 40 hours a week between class time and independent study. For OT though, you will have placements as well so this would also be factored into your study time.
-Independent learning would be you essentially doing prior-work for class (preparing for tutorials, seminars etc.), writing up lecture notes, reading, preparing for assignments... the list goes on! But any student will tell you, preparing for class and doing some of the reading is hugely recommended!
-For placement, you would have allocated shifts where you would be 'working', then you may have to write up a reflection diary or keep notes at the end of your shift. You would have placement assessment (usually with a tutor/mentor or placement). Alongside this you may have submissions, so it's all about effective time management and juggling deadlines. Another hint - use a diary or keep a good track of deadlines so you know what to prioritise, particularly toward the end of term!

Hope this helps, and hope the study hints are useful!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest