The Student Room Group

Query about UCAS Points

Hello! :smile:

Basically I have put Aberystwyth University as my insurance place, It asked for 300 UCAS points to study International Politics and Intelligence Studies, which is the typical offer.

However I already have 20 UCAS points from an E grade AS Biology because I had to retake year 12, and Aberystwyth do say that they accept AS Levels as part of the UCAS points. Does this mean that I can get, say, BBC in my A-Levels and still get in? Or is the offer they have given me for my current subjects so I have to get ABC/BBB?

It doesn't matter too much but it'd be nice if I had that extra grade to lean back on if the worst happens (I'm predicted AAB so hopefully it won't)

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Yeah, you on,y need BBC
Original post by emiloujess
Hello! :smile:

Basically I have put Aberystwyth University as my insurance place, It asked for 300 UCAS points to study International Politics and Intelligence Studies, which is the typical offer.

However I already have 20 UCAS points from an E grade AS Biology because I had to retake year 12, and Aberystwyth do say that they accept AS Levels as part of the UCAS points. Does this mean that I can get, say, BBC in my A-Levels and still get in? Or is the offer they have given me for my current subjects so I have to get ABC/BBB?

It doesn't matter too much but it'd be nice if I had that extra grade to lean back on if the worst happens (I'm predicted AAB so hopefully it won't)

Thanks in advance :smile:

You'll have to query. Some unis ask for 300 ucas points from 3 A levels, some don't accept AS grades
Reply 3
Original post by cherryred90s
You'll have to query. Some unis ask for 300 ucas points from 3 A levels, some don't accept AS grades

From the website:
Applicants offering A/AS level qualifications must include at least one Grade B from a minimum of two A Levels, and may include one or more A/S level qualifications

but if that's the case why did they not ask for 280 since I already had the E?

Yeah I'll phone them tomorrow... It'll be very nervewracking because I have anxiety.
Original post by emiloujess
From the website:
Applicants offering A/AS level qualifications must include at least one Grade B from a minimum of two A Levels, and may include one or more A/S level qualifications

but if that's the case why did they not ask for 280 since I already had the E?

Yeah I'll phone them tomorrow... It'll be very nervewracking because I have anxiety.

Your AS grade would be fine then. They don't say 280 because not everyone has an AS. So yeah, the minimum you'd need is BBC
Original post by cherryred90s
Your AS grade would be fine then. They don't say 280 because not everyone has an AS. So yeah, the minimum you'd need is BBC

I know of people who have had this difficulty with Aber before. Check it out with them
Reply 6
Just to update this :tongue: :

I've just phoned up their Admissions department and apparently the 20 points will be included, so I now have to get 280 UCAS Points (or BBC), instead of 300. I now have an unexpected but welcomed 2 grades between my firm and insurance! (my firm is ABB) :h:
Reply 7
What other uni's follow this policy? I have 110 from a year of AS and will probably need them to get onto a course lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending