The Student Room Group

Donne's Poetry...

Just to say I think Donne's poetry is fantastic..I know a lot of his work comes across as chauvinistic, but on occasions I find his cynicism almost amusing and sometimes even true. His hendiadystic masterpiece in Song: Go Catch a falling Star epitomises Donne brillance for me:-

"And swear/no where/lives a woman true and fair."

A lot of the time I do find his love poetry very difficult to accept at face value (as love) but instead his intellectual brillance seems to shine in nearly all of his poems.

Does anyone have any favourite Donne poems or quotes?
Reply 1
I love Donne's style of poetry.

My favourite Donne poems are 'Song: Sweetest Love, I do not Goe" and "The Good-Morrow'.
"To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell is quite similar but much better. Worth checking out.
Reply 3
As the name suggests I'm quite a fan of Donne. I started off with the poems at A-level and did most of my essays at Sixth form (English language or Literature) on him.

If you haven't already look at the other writing he did. His early poetry is fantastic as you know but during his later life, when he turned to the chuch he wrote some stunning sermons, you should check them out.

I'm an atheist and I liked them!
Astral Weeks
"To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell is quite similar but much better. Worth checking out.

A FANTASTIC poem. I second that recommendation!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hashshashin
A FANTASTIC poem. I second that recommendation!! :biggrin:

a third recommendation here - really enjoyed wriiting my essay on that :biggrin:
Reply 6
It's a well written bit of poetry, but not as intellectually challenging as some of Donne's work.

Btw Gemby, you don't happen to have that essay you wrote on Marvell to hand do you please? I'm not doing Marvell at all, just would like to to read it to further my knowledge of the metaphysical poets.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Reply 7
gemby!
a third recommendation here - really enjoyed wriiting my essay on that :biggrin:

And a fourth. Infact i like the work of most of the metaphysical poets. There are loads of Donne poems i remember lines from, especially the sun rising and batter my heart (though i suspect this isn't the actual title...)

Infact that website has a section on metaphysical poets well worth a look if you like that sort of thing. We did a module on them in the first year, was pretty top drawer.
Reply 8
Andy Peters
And a fourth.

And a fifth! Mine is covered in notes.
Reply 9
Andy Peters
And a fourth.

And a fifth! Mine is covered in notes.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Donne in that I live in the same village he did after his release from prison.. He's not my favourite style, necessarily, but I like the themes and ideas within his poetry :smile:.
Reply 11
More blatant coarseness than innuendo.

I have to say, I love 'His Coy Mistress', but 'The Sunne Rising' is a lot deeper, one of the best love poems of any age.

People who like His Coy Mistress should check out http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/1568.html

It's an answer 'from his mistress' written in the same style.
Reply 12
I absolutely love 'The Sunne Rising' and I rather like 'The Flea.' Metaphysical poetry's pretty cool. He's kinda obsessed with love and sex though! 'The Flea' is so cheeky with regard to that, but it's in a quaint way so it's alright :wink:
Reply 13
Have you read his non-sexual stuff, like the Holy Sonnets?

Actually, I say non-sexual, but a mix of sacred and profane is quite common...

Latest

Trending

Trending