The Student Room Group

I can't write eloquently and it is vexing.

As the title specifies, I cannot write sensibly and in an organised fashion for my life. I'm looking at various people's answers for the subjects I am studying and I am held in disbelief of how profound some people's statements are. This is infuriating, I've read classical liberal authors since I was 15 and I can't even refer to them in any meaningful way. I go off topic easily and sometimes misunderstand questions. It's as though my brain were to be one big gray mist. I am beginning to feel useless. I know the material, but I can't find the creativity in me to actually regurgitate my knowledge on paper with the correct links made between different ideas/thinkers.

Is there anyone on here who has any similair experiences - more importantly, how did you deal with them?
(edited 8 years ago)
Your op would suggest that your writing style is absolutely fine. Are you sure you're not just being mean to yourself with excessive doubt?
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Your op would suggest that your writing style is absolutely fine. Are you sure you're not just being mean to yourself with excessive doubt?

Kind words appreciated, but you're mistaking style for substance. It's as though I can already feel the look of some smug young sophisticated chap from a well-established public school laughing at my 4/10 essay as it read from next years examiner reports, as an example of how not to screw up.
Lol you're joking right? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And "vexing"? seriously XD
Stop using online thesaurus for every adjective or verb and you'll do fine. You clearly have flair in your writing and it flows well, but some words stand out as unnatural, such as Vexing in the title. I do the same sometimes, what are you looking to study? Philosophy?
I know the feels

I remember when I started saying faeces instead of poo poo :daydreaming:
Reply 6
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Lol you're joking right? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And "vexing"? seriously XD

A pretentious move to highlight the title. Better than using 'pissing me off' and shorter by two syllables.
Reply 7
Original post by Archdukes
Kind words appreciated, but you're mistaking style for substance. It's as though I can already feel the look of some smug young sophisticated chap from a well-established public school laughing at my 4/10 essay as it read from next years examiner reports, as an example of how not to screw up.

In what context are you hoping to write eloquently...style pretty much scraped an A* in English Lit for me. I completely distorted the meaning of the question and threw every impressive sounding thing I could at it. Assuming you're worried about this in the context of A levels, given the forum, just make sure to plan long answers/essays and read questions carefully. You evidently have the writing skill. How much time do you actually spending thinking about these "correct links" and the like? It pays to try to build up a mental map of how everything is interlinked so that you are prepared to apply it to any question.

Quick Reply

Latest