The Student Room Group

Applying to a rejected course through clearing

If I miss the entry requirements for a course, but the course is in clearing, it it still possible to get into that course through clearing? I've seen no mention of this option.
Reply 1
If you've been rejected from your firm choice because you haven't got the required grades, that course isn't going to be in Clearing at lower grades than the ones you've got.

To put it the opposite way: if your offer was AAA and you got AAB, and if the course went into Clearing at AAB, you wouldn't get rejected on results day
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
If I miss the entry requirements for a course, but the course is in clearing, it it still possible to get into that course through clearing? I've seen no mention of this option.

No that doesnt happen. Universities get results the week before students. They take on all firm or insurance students who have met their grades. If they havent met their numbers they them look at near miss applicants and decide who they can accept. Only after this do they go into clearing. The clearing grades will never be lower than the grades a university accepts from near misses.

It is the university's interest to not go into clearing unless they have to. They would prefer having someone who wants to go there than someone just looking for a place and taking near miss applicants gives the university morecertainty of filling places.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
No that doesnt happen. Universities get results the week before students. They take on all firm or insurance students who have met their grades. If they havent met their numbers they them look at near miss applicants and decide who they can accept. Only after this do they go into clearing. The clearing grades will never be lower than the grades a university accepts from near misses.

It is the university's interest to not go into clearing unless they have to. They would prefer having someone who wants to go there than someone just looking for a place and taking near miss applicants gives the university morecertainty of filling places.

Much more eloquently explained than what I said

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending